General Yuzuru Chat

On 5/1/2020 at 1:08 PM, micaelis said:

Second, when will he return to Toronto?  That will depend on when things start trending back to normal there.  The Toronto health director today said that the expectations should be that lockdown requirements could go for another three months while at the same time Doug Ford, the current premiere of Ontario province, has said that businesses should start preparing to reopen in the near future.  There seems to be a contradiction there but I think the two viewpoints can be harmonized by saying that the last of the lockdown elements may persist another three months while gradual reopenings might commence within days or a couple weeks.  The situation at TCC is such that social distancing can be easily maintained so that it might be able to start functioning as soon as certain lockdown elements start being relaxed.  Once TCC can be open for business then it will be up to Yuzu with his coaching team to chart out how Yuzu can return and start preparing to compete.

Yes, the premier announced a few days ago that on Monday automatic/self-serve car washes and a couple type of mostly outdoor seasonal businesses (lawn companies, nurseries) can open for curbside/delivery services and that marinas & golf courses can prep but not open.  I was a bit shocked because a couple days earlier we were assured that community-spread cases would have to be well-below 200 per day for awhile before opening (and we're def not there yet), but perhaps "opening" here meant a more significant opening up of businesses.  I'm not sure we are actually ready to handle any serious loosening of restrictions until there is:

1) more testing and contact tracing available for at the very least _all_ at-high-risk populations such as frontline workers, people living in long-term care, shelters of many types, prisons, meat/fish packers, Indigenous communities, etc. who need them.  All the places I mentioned either have already had bad outbreaks or have been identified as at very high risk for them. 

2) There should be enough testing to do some gold-standard randomized testing in selected areas to get a better sense of what is actually going on in the community.  Otherwise we would be flying mostly blind about what is going on really in Ontario.  Note today Health Canada has had to take at least one company's antigen testing method out of commission for anything but lab conditions, which may lead to more slowing of the needed growth in test capacity. 

3) There should be enough sanitizer/soap and PPE to adequately protect workers.  AFAIK we are still struggling to equip the frontline here in TO, but less-essential workers should also be protected when they do return to work.

4) Financial support should be given to prevent people from working while sick or when they know they were exposed to someone who is positive.  It sickens me that health-care workers and others are being told to work while sick. 

All these things together would make it safer to enjoy greater freedom than we now have in the province.  I know the province has upped the testing capacity with a target of 20,000, but even so it will take time to get through just the population at LTC facilities.  But things seem rather murkier on the other points, which I feel concerned about personally.  At least Ontario is not going the Québec route and is instead choosing to take baby steps so far.  I hope we wait at least 3 weeks after every important change to assess how that affects cases, hospitalizations, and deaths.  It's easier to continue on with restrictions than to come back to them after the taste of freedom, even if they have said they won't hesitate to go back to them as needed.  It's tricky, as most people understand the gravity of our situation until a safe and reliable vaccine and/or antiviral is made widely accessible.  But as weather becomes more consistently warm and the social side of things wears harder I do fear that significant additional waves could follow. 

Anyway, I mention all this because for a mostly indoor recreational club like TCC should come pretty low down on the list of things that "should" open soon.  I would not want TCC to open until the staff are well protected (access to masks, gloves, and other supplies, as well as a progressive sick leave policy that supports people _not_ coming to work sick).  I would hope that whenever the rink does open they will practice excellent hygiene, social distancing, and will limit people the numbers of people who can go to the rink so there is no crowding, especially at the pinch-points off the ice proper (they are there!).  If they have to add garish signs to direct foot traffic, they should take a lesson from the groceries and do so asap.  TTC's rink is an indoor space with circulated air and some people may spend many hours in the facilities normally, so there is more risk than at an outdoor rink with its fresh air.  Some of the coaches and choreographers are young and fit and so likely have lower risk of a severe bout of the disease, but others are not and so are statistically more likely to get it badly enough to end up in hospital.  Many people in hospital with it here are under 65, since many of the oldest/most frail people in LTC are choosing not to go to hospital now, given that ventilation is so traumatic and is no miracle cure.  While there is always some risk in congregate settings, I do think it's reasonable to expect the ordinary workers and staff at a non-essential place to be protected.  It's mostly a place for the wealthy to have fun and socialize, so there's no excuse to not protect their workers and staff. 

I believe the earliest date mentioned by local skaters for GTA rinks to re-open is after the Victoria Day weekend, but honestly I hope they wait until June or even later to permit members back in.  If they decide to cut some or all skating classes for non-competitive skaters and/or stringently limit the number of people in the rink area alongside other precautions, I'd certainly feel easier for the TCC workers, the fs coaching team, Yuzu, and all the other skaters there. 

An additional factor is whether the border would be open to more than non-essential foreign workers. I'm personally hoping they keep it closed for a long time to tourists, considering how badly screening was handled in airports.  I'd imagine crossing by other means (esp cars) into Canada would be even less-well handled.  If the border closure also delayed the non-Canadian TTC skaters from coming back it would be disappointing, but the health of people living in Canada is more important.  Canada partly dodged a bullet by our actions in March; let us hope we don't undo all that hard work and patience.

4 hours ago, Songster01 said:

An additional factor is whether the border would be open to more than non-essential foreign workers. I'm personally hoping they keep it closed for a long time to tourists, considering how badly screening was handled in airports.  I'd imagine crossing by other means (esp cars) into Canada would be even less-well handled.  If the border closure also delayed the non-Canadian TTC skaters from coming back it would be disappointing, but the health of people living in Canada is more important.  Canada partly dodged a bullet by our actions in March; let us hope we don't undo all that hard work and patience.

For figure skating in particular, this will be one of the major limiting factors. I don't expect the borders to re-open any time soon. 

More Yuzu love from Beijing! Hehehe

also found this which I assume is a segment from a Chinese tv show:

Basically the lady praises Yuzu’s quads, stating his short preparation time and transitions into the jumps, making the program very smooth and not disrupting any of its flow. She also talks about how well-mannered Yuzu is, bowing to Ghislain. She mentions Ghislain is Yuzu’s jump coach and speculates that perhaps Yuzu was also thanking him for helping him gain such mastery over his quads! (this is my understanding of what she says, there are some tweet replies which I assume is a Japanese translation of what the lady says)

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For figure skating in particular, this will be one of the major limiting factors. I don't expect the borders to re-open any time soon. 

That is a great portion of the reasoning I had when saying there is no guarantee there will be a next season.  The situation is so fluid and will continue to be so well beyond simply the near future that the ability of competitors and their coaches to get from point A to point B will be such that it will be easier simply to cancel the season.  National championships will be possible but we cannot count on potential host countries for international competitions having the open borders to allow the show to go on.

13 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

:( There is almost nothing I want more than to be able to see Yuzu skate in the fall - or the winter - so I am holding out (big) hope that all the brilliant scientists working around the world will find a therapeutic (and eventual vaccine) SOON.  There are many vaccines that have already been in development for viruses and coronaviruses - and it is possible, though, realistically not probable - one of those can be tweaked and we will have relief much sooner than anticipated.  I believe in science and my hopes are based in science. Gotta hang on to hope and the thought of the entire season being cancelled just smashes all my fanyu dreams.

21 minutes ago, barbara said:

:( There is almost nothing I want more than to be able to see Yuzu skate in the fall - or the winter - so I am holding out (big) hope that all the brilliant scientists working around the world will find a therapeutic (and eventual vaccine) SOON.  There are many vaccines that have already been in development for viruses and coronaviruses - and it is possible, though, realistically not probable - one of those can be tweaked and we will have relief much sooner than anticipated.  I believe in science and my hopes are based in science. Gotta hang on to hope and the thought of the entire season being cancelled just smashes all my fanyu dreams.

I don't think a compulsory untested vaccine would be a good solution. It could do more harm than the virus itself.

Let's see how things go on.

And many thanks to AxelSandwich for this new translation of hers, in so little time.

2 hours ago, barbara said:

I'm a little bit more in the 'hope for the best, prepare for the worst' camp. That way, if I'm wrong, I can be pleasantly surprised, and if I'm right, I'll have had time to prepare and I won't be crushed by the disappointment

Maybe he's not in a mood for new videos? With the state of emergency being extended to May 31st, maybe Sendai Rink won't reopen next Wednesday as planned (though they may have already started to make the ice), though at the moment there is no update on the rink's site.

Edit Here an old one (probably from 2015-2016) showing a kimono/haori suit, with five kamon (his), which I hadn't seen before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD2KfB2976k

(Youtube didn't allow embedding this video.)