General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, Vadrouille said:

I hope that for next season, after the Covid-19, Yuzuru will finally choose to skate to 2 new programs, SP and FP.

I am sad that he chooses to repeat programs quite often, especially for the last few years since 2017 and 2018.

He is the star of the sport of Figure Skating, so people looks at him more closely and find out he skates to the same music many times.

For Short programs, since the year 2012, how many SP did he has skate to? Étude for one year 2012, then Parisian Walkway for 2 seasons ( 2013, 2014), then Ballade Chopin for 3 seasons (2015, 2016 and Olympic 2018), Let's go Crazy Prince for one season (2017), finally Otonal SP and Origin FP for almost 2 seasons 2018 and 2019, except when he was so disappointed after not so good results in GPF 2019 and Japan National 2019 that he came back to Ballad and Seimei again for 4 Continents and possibly for World 2019 if it was not cancelled.

I think that is not a tactic that will bring him good scores and good support from the judges. 

For the fans, I just want to see him skate to new musics. Just hope that he will let his coaches, his chorégraphers to suggest or bring him some new musics. How many time left before he retired? So please give us new musics and new programs.

I'm kinda surprised to find such posts on PH--thought I was in GS for a while. With all the hardwork done for translation on his interviews people still think he is back to Seimei and Chopin because of the result at GPF and Jnats? Add the part that he wants to keep up with Chen and I'll think you are Lakernik in disguise. Sheesh.

(forcing myself to cut the rant short)

52 minutes ago, vanadiezz said:

I'm kinda surprised to find such posts on PH--thought I was in GS for a while. With all the hardwork done for translation on his interviews people still think he is back to Seimei and Chopin because of the result at GPF and Jnats? Add the part that he wants to keep up with Chen and I'll think you are Lakernik in disguise. Sheesh.

(forcing myself to cut the rant short)

while i think its totally up to Yuzu to choose what music he wants and @henni already phrased how i felt about it, i dont think people expressing that they want new programs from yuzu is always coming from a negative place. From what I understand based on Yuzu's interviews, he did go back to chopin and seimei due to jnats and gpf results. not necessarily because he was  afraid hed lose with origin/otonal but more so because he needed to reaffirm his skating direction and those two programs made him feel himself the most (in addition to all his thoughts on trying to master them and bring out his ideal skates). So its not necessarily untrue. 

the OP probably just genuinely wanted to see new programs and personally, i would too if its up to me. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting new programs/repeated programs from Yuzu but doesnt necessarily mean they will stop supporting his decisions. Im not fully agreeing with the OP on the things she/he said but we're free to express our hopes here. i just think policing every unpopular opinion would make it difficult for members to voice their thoughts on some topics.

15 hours ago, memae said:

The thing with me with Patrick Chan is there is something about his manner in interviews and all that I find a bit grating. It might be the cockiness that came with being the best for so long (although Denis Ten should have won that world championship and we all know it) and feeling like he didn't have a rival. When I hear his name mentioned in skating talk I don't think about his skating first - I get like a vague, negative feeling of like distaste or something. I don't think he's that bad. It's just a reaction. I do also think he became much more gracious and likeable  after Sochi. I do have to wonder if his complacency from all that judging candy and not taking rivals like Denis Ten and rising star Yuzuru seriously also had its part in Yuzu getting that Sochi gold. I think Yuzu winning 2013 GPF must have made Patrick Chan panic and that he was too unsettled about Yuzu to skate clean at the Olympics. 

Idk, I just always found that he didn't quite have the humility and quiet kind of confidence I like to see - Yuzu and Nathan are great examples of it. They know they're good, they admit to it, but they never take their success for granted and they are encouraging of each other and their  fellow competitors. Men's FS is in a nice place as far as sportsmanship goes right now. 

I remember watching his reaction at the kiss and cry during sochi fs and felt really bad. he was literally sweating and praying and eventho id never followed him, i felt bad. he really showed his vulnerability. and then when the results came out he just said "shit". I just think thats one example that sets him and Yuzu apart. Yuzu would have never reacted that way even when he lost. As much as he has bet his life on skating, sportmanship comes first.

With Patrick, even when he was praising Yuzu, it still sounded somewhat condescending. I remember he was like "he felt embarrassed he lost to a new comer with less experience". To me that really didnt sound like he was acknowledging Yuzu's talent but more so focusing on his embarrasment. But when Yuzu lost to someone, he was full of genuine praises for them and acknowledging their win. He then became more motivated to challenge it. 

7 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

while i think its totally up to Yuzu to choose what music he wants and @henni already phrased how i felt about it, i dont think people expressing that they want new programs from yuzu is always coming from a negative place. From what I understand based on Yuzu's interviews, he did go back to chopin and seimei due to jnats and gpf results. not necessarily because he is  afraid but he needed to reaffirm his skating direction and those two programs made him feel himself the most (in addition to all his thoughts on trying to master them and bring out his ideal skates). So its not necessarily untrue. 

the OP probably just genuinely wanted to see new programs and personally, i would too if its up to me. Everyone has their own reasons for wanting new programs/repeated programs from Yuzu but doesnt necessarily mean they will stop supporting his decisions. Im not fully agreeing with the OP on the things she/he said but we're free to express our hopes here. i just think policing every unpopular opinion would make it difficult for members to voice their thoughts on some topics.

Result is about scores. Skating direction is about process. The way I see it those are two different things.

And if by having freedom to post hopes means people should be free to post whatever they think is the ideal condition in their mind without considering the situation for the involved person then I'll just say let's agree to disagree on that. Ofc they can post, but others also have the right to comment on such opinions.

2 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

Result is about scores. Skating direction is about process. The way I see it those are two different things.

True, but I think by that time in the season, Yuzu perhaps not feeling like he was connecting wtih the programs in a way that felt genuine or whatever to him might be something he considered to be reflected in his scores. Or that the the potential results of those programs weren't worth how he felt skating them. So while they're two different things there is every possibility that to Yuzu, they impacted one another and were and are, perhaps, inseparable from one another. 

Please note the heavy modality. I don't want to be putting words in anyone's mouth, but I am okay with talking about what might be. 

Let's hope that there would be some skating this year before going into the same old new/recycle program. At the moment, most skaters can't train and who's know when they can get back on ice, let alone getting choreo. 

By the way, I read Keegan Messing and Vincent Zhou were supposed to be the only ones able to practice a little bit on ice, so I suppose, either Sendai rink is closed, or Yuzuru Hanyu doesn't skate there anymore? I hope it won't last, because while public openings, though a valuable source of income, are rather risky covid-wise, I tend to think training for serious skaters can be safe for skaters as well as for coaches and staff, with well-thought rules.

I've been continuing my Olympics rewatching by going back to Sochi FS. Just watched Denis Ten's. Now I'm sad. Maybe too sad to be able to  skip ahead and watch Yuzu fall over even though I know he still wins. 

Oh my heart </3 Denis was such a beautiful skater. That Frank Carroll magic.

As for talk that maybe Yuzuru isn't able to practise or that he no longer skates at Sendai rink - I think it's more likely that either he's being very discreet about skating at the moment or he's trying to set a good example as a public figure. If he was seen going to and from the rink while there are such heavy restrictions on the general public it would be a bad look for him - even if he's not breaking any rules. I just don't think it would be perceived well even if it could be explained and justified. 

4 hours ago, memae said:

I've been continuing my Olympics rewatching by going back to Sochi FS. Just watched Denis Ten's. Now I'm sad. Maybe too sad to be able to  skip ahead and watch Yuzu fall over even though I know he still wins. 

As for talk that maybe Yuzuru isn't able to practise or that he no longer skates at Sendai rink - I think it's more likely that either he's being very discreet about skating at the moment or he's trying to set a good example as a public figure. If he was seen going to and from the rink while there are such heavy restrictions on the general public it would be a bad look for him - even if he's not breaking any rules. I just don't think it would be perceived well even if it could be explained and justified. 

I think Ice Rink Sendai has been closed altogether under the latest Japan-wide restrictions. So no matter where he is, he isn't skating at all at the moment. Unless he's staying at Keegan's house or did a Karen Chen and filled his house with artificial ice tiles, which I don't put past him 😆

9 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

I think Ice Rink Sendai has been closed altogether under the latest Japan-wide restrictions. So no matter where he is, he isn't skating at all at the moment. Unless he's staying at Keegan's house or did a Karen Chen and filled his house with artificial ice tiles, which I don't put past him 😆

True! There's an announcement that was not last time I went on the site, and though in PDF, it is copiable and says everything is closed from April 19th to May 6th.

Lessons are due to restart on May 12th but I understand chartering will be available from May 6th on, if there is no extension of the closure of course.

https://icerink-sendai.net/

https://icerink-sendai.net/uploads/article/20200417021748_1089487247.pdf

It had probably to do with his dejected looks during the interview. Two weeks of self-quarantine, little more than two weeks on-ice in Sendai, then no ice again.

It must be hard.

9 hours ago, vanadiezz said:

And if by having freedom to post hopes means people should be free to post whatever they think is the ideal condition in their mind without considering the situation for the involved person then I'll just say let's agree to disagree on that. Ofc they can post, but others also have the right to comment on such opinions.

I think its more about how we disagree/comment on things. 

I'm totally fine with people having healthy discussions and that's what makes conversations constructive and interesting. I have learned a lot from reading all the different opinions here as well. i just feel like your previous comment toward the OP was a bit much. The fact that the OP did think about how repeated programs would affect scoring for Yuzu didnt necessarily allude to the fact that they think Yuzu wanted to keep up with Chen, thus resulting to being labeled as a Lakernik in disguise. I would have felt super uncomfortable to that remark. 

Anyway, I'll stop it here as I dont want to make the conversation awkward for anybody else. 

4 hours ago, memae said:

yeah considering how non Yuzu fans yell at everything he does, id be cautious not to show anything if i were him. im just glad he has always been a ninja and good at managing his own image/pr. 

i wonder if his crew could do some kind of graphic simulation of his choreo. Im dying to see what he will put out. this cactus season is going to be so long...

Actually, Im wondering if he will ever do Black Swan since Plushenko had suggested it to him.  But i seriously hope he doesnt.