General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Well, there is the notion of citizenship, but also that of tax residence. I have lived in different countries and of course, agreements differ between countries but basically, you can't choose where to pay and you're chiefly taxed in your country of residence, not in the country you're a citizen of. Except when you are an US or Belarus citizen.

I am not a tax lawyer, but I am a lawyer, albeit a retired one, and in my opinion, Yuzuru Hanyu would not be required to pay any income tax in Canada. He is probably here on a multiple-entry visitor’s visa or a special visa for athletic training purposes. He does not work in Canada and does not generate any income in Canada. The only reason he is here is to train. The fact that a person is physically in Canada for an extended period of time as a visitor, training as an athlete or attending school, as examples, does not expose that person to tax liability for income earned outside of Canada. As a permanent resident of Japan, I am sure that Yuzu is diligently paying all of his income taxes in Japan.

Now can we move on from this subject?

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I wonder more about what kind of a visa he's on when he's here...presumably a student visa of some kind? If that's the case, then the types of income-earning work he's allowed to do here would be pretty limited. Which , in turn, affects his tax situation. 

I don't care what he pays in taxes and to which country (though it would be Japan..) or how much money me makes or what he does with it.  I'm not sure a student Visa would be appropriate since he isn't studying at a Canadian institution.  I wonder if he actually does spend more than half of all days in a year in Canada.  It's not a six month stint at any given time.  He goes to Japan for the holidays and Nationals.  If it was me trying to live in Canada, I'd have to come and set foot in the states just prior to the six month mark. If on a student Visa, I'd still have to do that but could return immediately.  I have a friend who went to Uni in Edmonton, then taught in Halifax - and now she's a Canadian!  (It was a long fight to become one for her.) And, incidentally, she pays taxes here and there.

2 hours ago, Geo1 said:

I am not a tax lawyer, but I am a lawyer, albeit a retired one, and in my opinion, Yuzuru Hanyu would not be required to pay any income tax in Canada. He is probably here on a multiple-entry visitor’s visa or a special visa for athletic training purposes. He does not work in Canada and does not generate any income in Canada. The only reason he is here is to train. The fact that a person is physically in Canada for an extended period of time as a visitor, training as an athlete or attending school, as examples, does not expose that person to tax liability for income earned outside of Canada. As a permanent resident of Japan, I am sure that Yuzu is diligently paying all of his income taxes in Japan.

Now can we move on from this subject?

YES!

On 4/22/2020 at 9:22 AM, memae said:

Watching Pyeongchang FS. 

I always forget how lovely Patrick Chan's skating was to watch until I'm watching it. There's something about how he's able to do such a slow moving program and really just have every moment so beautifully stretched out. Yuzu's skating skills are where my heart's at, but he always brings some sort of fire or electricity to his competitive programs. I don't for a second think he's not capable of skating a program like Chan's Hallelujah but there's something very enchanting about how fluid, serene, and something  Chan's skating is in a way that we don't get to see from Yuzu very often - at least not for a whole program. I also don't think Yuzu could get away with it in the way Patrick could in terms of levels and GOE. I think if he went for a less-is-more kind of elegance the judges and/or tech panel would make it unfairly cost him (like with the backwards crossrolls). 

Anyway, his turn now! Goodness knows how many times I've seen Olympic Seimei by now but no matter, there's always room for one more. 

I think, Yuzu shows this magic beautifully in his exhibition galas. The first performance I've seen from him was Notte Stellata at the Grand Prix Final 2016 and it was love at first sight particularly because every single move was so light and beautifully extended. He was really gliding and flying across the ice like a swan. I've never seen anything angelic and ethereal like this before. Truthfully, Notte Stellata is so peaceful and intimate that I always feel like an intruder while watching it :8788161:

I don't think that the judges would evaluate a program like Notte or Haru Yo Koi any worse than Chopin or Otonal. I think, the main reason why Yuzu rarely skates to that type of music in competition, is that it's difficult to implement big quad jumps into a calm and tender performance like this. Imagine Notte Stellata with 4S, 4T+3T and 3A layout. Not to mention a freeskate with 5 quads, big combos and everything. That would completely kill the atmosphere of the program imo. Yuzu would turn from an angelic swan into a scary eagle :tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow:

7 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I think, Yuzu shows this magic beautifully in his exhibition galas. The first performance I've seen from him was Notte Stellata at the Grand Prix Final 2016 and it was love at first sight particularly because every single move was so light and beautifully extended. He was really gliding and flying across the ice like a swan. I've never seen anything angelic and ethereal like this before. Truthfully, Notte Stellata is so peaceful and intimate that I always feel like an intruder while watching it :8788161:

I don't think that the judges would evaluate a program like Notte or Haru Yo Koi any worse than Chopin or Otonal. I think, the main reason why Yuzu rarely skates to that type of music in competition, is that it's difficult to implement big quad jumps into a calm and tender performance like this. Imagine Notte Stellata with 4S, 4T+3T and 3A layout. Not to mention a freeskate with 5 quads, big combos and everything. That would completely kill the atmosphere of the program imo. Yuzu would turn from an angelic swan into a scary eagle :tumblr_m9gck4P2Jf1qzckow:

Well he skated H&L perfectly with 4 quads before so he can still be angelic while doing quads!

Its been awhile and I know I am late. But I just want to celebrate Yuzu once again claiming his top spot at the standings. :clapclap4:

I remember but cannot find anymore the source. He said if enough competitions are attended it can be brought back. :9:

Well his calculations did not fail. :gla:

Congrats Yuzuru Hanyu, you deserve it.

1 minute ago, FlyingCamel said:

Well he skated H&L perfectly with 4 quads before so he can still be angelic while doing quads!

In my personal opinion, Hope and Legacy is not as calm as many people say it is. It's a powerful music piece with multiple crescendos and more impulsive than Notte imo. Also, I could feel a difference between H&L in Helsinki and Seoul. At Worlds there was this tension in the air to land all the quads, while at the 4CC gala he could dive completely into the performance. Therefore Yuzu appeared more angelic to me in the gala than in competition.

This shouldn't minor his achievement in Helsinki at all. It was an incredible performance with the right balance of angel and boss mode. I strongly believe that you need this certain power and strength of a mountain to conquer so many quads. I cannot imagine that Notte with 4 quads would work. A little swan is not meant to jump such monsters.

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I did think of Notte Stellata but I didn't mention it because I thought that Patrick managed that in a competitive program made it quite special. I do sincerely think that Yuzu wouldn't be scored fairly if he did a step sequence like Patrick's instead of his usual fast footwork, no matter how beautifully he did it so I don't think it would be worth the risk for him to do such a program for competition.

Yuzu while he's in competitive career will always put his goal first when choosing his competitive programs. Two tribute programs - Otonal & Origin are exceptions because he's already chosen the theme while he was in Zen mode  :meditationf: after his childhood dream of 2OGM came true. But I'm not given up on the idea of maybe one day Yuzu will skate to a mellow, gentle and smooth program more focusing on skating. I just don't think it is that time yet for him to mellow out! He's known as 暴れ馬 (wild horse) :68468287: 

He has said in a recent interview that he was born to skate. So I really think he will be skating throughout his life. He will be skating in different styles at different stages of his life. I am dreaming of his ice shows filled with beautiful programs that we get to see only when he's finally r******. 

While Patrick Chan was still Yuzu's big rival, I couldn't appreciate his skating. It's rather pathetic but I just couldn't bring myself to admit that he really had superb skating skills. That changed when I saw his performance at PC. Realising that he's probably retiring after the olympics, his beautiful skating finally broke the ice and I felt his skating with my heart. 

Yuzu's skating will never stop evolving because that  is just the way he is with his skating. I feel absolutely lucky to be alive to witness that journey wherever he takes us.