General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

No, although that's a fun idea! In The House at Pooh Corner, Rabbit gets the whole Hundred Acre Wood into an uproar searching for his missing friend-and-relation Small, whose full name is 'Smallest of All'. In due course, Pooh finds Small by accident:  Small turns to be a beetle, and somehow ends up crawling up Pooh's back, where Rabbit eventually spots him. 

I don't know whether that's a suitable image for me to have of Shoma , but the name fits. 

You are a Pooh scholar.

8 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Soooo adorable ❤️🥺
can’t believe I just called a 25 year old an adorable hahaha

He doesn't look 25 in this gif, though.

And he often exudes a childlike (but not childish) joy-in-the-moment that absolutely is adorable, not that anyone around here needs convincing of that 

2 hours ago, cereus said:

He doesn't look 25 in this gif, though.

And he often exudes a childlike (but not childish) joy-in-the-moment that absolutely is adorable, not that anyone around here needs convincing of that 

It often perplexes me how Yuzu can look so childlike and adorable at one moment but look so fierce and intense and intimidating at the next...

12 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

It often perplexes me how Yuzu can look so childlike and adorable at one moment but look so fierce and intense and intimidating at the next...

That is the so-called “gap”, a phrase used by the Japanese to describe the sharp contrast between playful smiley-face Yuzu and killer game-face Yuzu, that fans find so irresistible.

8 hours ago, barbara said:

And the girls - that would be an interesting chart.  Age and shape.  The size and shapelessness of the Russian quad girls compared to "grown-up" female skaters or yesteryear - most were full grown (except a few, like Tara Lipinski) and four or five years older than the current crop of Russian girls (who also have a very short career trajectory).  Those little girls have a much easier time doing quads because they basically have no shape to alter their center of gravity.  It's why Evgenia had trouble upping her elements from the time she was 16 until now...

Oh definitely. Katarina Witt was twice the size of any of the current reigning champions. 

18 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Roman is the tallest guy currently competing, it seems. And Shoma is the smallest of all time :). 

The ones who surprised me were Nam, Johnny, and Michal Brezina. Johnny was taller than I thought and Nam and Brezina shorter. 

The surprise for me is that Jason and Yuzu are pretty much the same height and pretty much the same age. TCC twins! 

And Roman is just a bit taller than Bruno Massot! Like I knew Roman was tall, but Bruno has always just been this like gentle giant of figure skating to me. 

I actually thought Samarin was the tallest, just based on how he seems so lanky when he jumps. But 2 1/2 inches is a significant difference in height. 

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh definitely. Katarina Witt was twice the size of any of the current reigning champions. 

1m66, I had not the impression of her being this tall. She really was the beginning of an artist and an entertainer on ice, but in those times boots, blades and above all, ice, were not what they are now, and Yuzuru Hanyu had not cleared the land and paved the way yet.

4 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

1m66, I had not the impression of her being this tall. She really was the beginning of an artist and an entertainer on ice, but in those times boots, blades and above all, ice, were not what they are now, and Yuzuru Hanyu had not cleared the land and paved the way yet.

Nancy Kerrigan is shorter than I thought, too...only 1.62 m. 

So far the tallest woman figure skater I can find is Lucinda Ruh at 1.75m