General Yuzuru Chat

On 3/31/2020 at 2:52 PM, monchan said:

Have you tried CDJapan?

In Asia, it's also available in Korea's Aladdin and Singapore's Kinokuniya bookstores.

So, I ordered it immediately, and I received it (in Germany) last Tuesday, which I find really fast (I chose DHL, and I understand it may be slower now, with reduction in the number of flights). In fact, I received it the very morning when they sent me a mail informing me they had dispatched the packet!

16 hours ago, memae said:

Do you guys not say wibbly-wobbly? 

...timey-wimey? 😃😃😃

About Yuzu's height, I always maintain that his height tends towards the taller side of the spectrum, especially by Asian standards 😛 it's the western men that are too tall, he's really not short! 😛😛

7 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

For me it is Shoma Uno. I wouldn't have thought he was only 1m58, I thought he was a bit over 1m60.

No, I knew Shoma was quite short. I just didn't realize he was Smallest of All*

*Perhaps he is one of Rabbit's friends-and-relations, and therefore from the same forest as Pooh. 

Yes, I'm getting a little batty from all this social distancing. 

5 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

...timey-wimey? 😃😃😃

About Yuzu's height, I always maintain that his height tends towards the taller side of the spectrum, especially by Asian standards 😛 it's the western men that are too tall, he's really not short! 😛😛

Yuzu is exactly the same height as I am, and therefore perfect. 

3 hours ago, barbara said:

Yuzu is taller than the average Japanese male.  Jun is still growing.  And Conrad isn't on here yet - but is only 1/2 inch shorter than Roman.  If you look at  heights of men across the world, they are, as an average, a lot shorter than I thought they'd be. (Dutch are the tallest...)

I find it interesting that the historic champions - Button, Curry, Cousins et al - are in general much taller than current competitors. Except for Scotty Hamilton of course. The current wisdom seems to be that you need to be short to get those quads in. Roman and Conrad are mavericks bucking the trend, when you think about it. 

29 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I find it interesting that the historic champions - Button, Curry, Cousins et al - are in general much taller than current competitors. Except for Scotty Hamilton of course. The current wisdom seems to be that you need to be short to get those quads in. Roman and Conrad are mavericks bucking the trend, when you think about it. 

It's been a while since I studied physics but I think it actually is harder to rotate and land quads for taller people. The longer the arms, the faster the hands have to move to get fully pulled in within the same amount of time, and being taller exacerbates the effects of axial tilt so it becomes harder to save jumps. Also since many of the current competitors started to learn quads before their growth spurts, I'm guessing the greater the change during a growth spurt, the harder it is to (re)learn the quads with the new height.

46 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

They are tall, but they need to gain some consistency in their quads before being considered  "bucking the trend" rather than succumbing to it :P

43 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

And the girls - that would be an interesting chart.  Age and shape.  The size and shapelessness of the Russian quad girls compared to "grown-up" female skaters or yesteryear - most were full grown (except a few, like Tara Lipinski) and four or five years older than the current crop of Russian girls (who also have a very short career trajectory).  Those little girls have a much easier time doing quads because they basically have no shape to alter their center of gravity.  It's why Evgenia had trouble upping her elements from the time she was 16 until now...

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yuzu is exactly the same height as I am, and therefore perfect. 

...and mine the same height as Javi :hihi:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

*Perhaps he is one of Rabbit's friends-and-relations, and therefore from the same forest as Pooh. 

...are you trying to say that Shoma is... Piglet?? 😏😂😂 (...or Roo even! 😂😂😂)

17 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

...and mine the same height as Javi :hihi:

you girls are pretty tall...I'm still shorter then Yuzu but taller then Shoma lol

Faoi final bow helps with comparing heights so yep even of for example Johnny Weir seems taller you could really see him and Lambiel being pretty much the same.

Also I was thinking about Nicholas Nadeau,he's 186 cm according to wiki!

it'd be interesting to see the girls for sure,Zagi seems pretty tall compared to the rest,Wakaba Rika and Medo seems very tiny too.

38 minutes ago, mercedes said:

you girls are pretty tall...I'm still shorter then Yuzu but taller then Shoma lol

Faoi final bow helps with comparing heights so yep even of for example Johnny Weir seems taller you could really see him and Lambiel being pretty much the same.

Also I was thinking about Nicholas Nadeau,he's 186 cm according to wiki!

it'd be interesting to see the girls for sure,Zagi seems pretty tall compared to the rest,Wakaba Rika and Medo seems very tiny too.

She is now 1m60. Before Olympics season she had her puberty, the next off-season her growth spurt, hence her under-rotations at the beginning of these seasons, but also some growth + athleticism bone-related disorders. I hope she will soon get over it and skate again, I like her so much, and I owe her grace to have got interested again in figure skating in 2017.

Alexandra Trusova is supposed (Wikipedia) to be 1m55, but I read somewhere she was 1m58.

Anna Shcherbakova was 1m54 at the end of the season, and  Alena Kostornaia 1m51.

I wonder if they will grow or not, with the confinement. Though I think Alina Zagitova is now full grown.

2 hours ago, cereus said:

It's been a while since I studied physics but I think it actually is harder to rotate and land quads for taller people. The longer the arms, the faster the hands have to move to get fully pulled in within the same amount of time, and being taller exacerbates the effects of axial tilt so it becomes harder to save jumps. Also since many of the current competitors started to learn quads before their growth spurts, I'm guessing the greater the change during a growth spurt, the harder it is to (re)learn the quads with the new height.

It's harder, but it's not impossible. 

5 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

No, although that's a fun idea! In The House at Pooh Corner, Rabbit gets the whole Hundred Acre Wood into an uproar searching for his missing friend-and-relation Small, whose full name is 'Smallest of All'. In due course, Pooh finds Small by accident:  Small turns out to be a beetle, and somehow ends up crawling up Pooh's back, where Rabbit eventually spots him. 

I don't know whether that's a suitable image for me to have of Shoma , but the name fits. 

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

They are tall, but they need to gain some consistency in their quads before being considered  "bucking the trend" rather than succumbing to it :P

I think the fact they're even trying, instead of allowing themselves to be convinced to go skate pairs, which is what seems to happen to tall guys in FS,  speaks for itself. 

Roman has said in his videos that in order to land anything his technique has to be perfect  because it's nearly impossible for him to save one that's going bad.