General Yuzuru Chat

34 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

I wonder why he doesn’t keep his elbows close to him since that will probably help with rotation speed? Is there a specific reason why he doesn’t do that?

I think there was an interview somewhere where he said it was more for aesthetic reasons (paraphrased)? Maybe? Perhaps?

Spoiler

It definitely looks better when Yuzu jumps (nevermind these poor souls' faces):

kKnm97L.jpg

jtrtODz.jpg

4HIf9uq.jpg

On 3/20/2020 at 12:58 AM, sweetwater said:

It is Hanyu family's crest. (confirmed in the Sponichi article you mentioned) It looks like Maru ni mitumori Kikkou ni Hanabishi, but since neither Yuzu nor his family has talked about it, there is no way of confirming it.

Patterns of Kikkou and Hanabishi are both very old and have been used in multiple countries. As you wrote, Kikkou is a design based upon turtle shells. In Japan, it has been used since the Asuka era as one of the auspicious patterns because the turtle has been a symbol of long life. Hanabishi has its origin in China. The design is based upon water chestnuts and had been used for clothes and furnishings for aristocrats in the Heian era.

Crests sometimes indicate the roots of the family. However, in the Edo era, one could use whatever crest they liked unless it was used by a samurai of higher rank. Some used existing crests, some arranged them, and some created their own to represent themselves, bring luck to them, etc. So the similarity in crests doesn't necessarily indicate the connection between wearers.

Thank you again for this explanation.

I just noticed that on this photo he wears a wholly different mon!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298249-d8800098-Reviews-Icerink_Sendai-Sendai_Miyagi_Prefecture_Tohoku.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=356807366

I can hardly imagine it could be a rented haori. Could it be his mother's mon? Or his club's?

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

I wonder why he doesn’t keep his elbows close to him since that will probably help with rotation speed? Is there a specific reason why he doesn’t do that?

I suppose it has smt to do with stabilizing axis rather than aestheticity. Rika has same air position and both got exceptional stable axis (Ms Hamada used to say about the first thing she taught Rika is to keep the axis, not rotate fast), compared with Nathan/Boyang who keep arms close but axis tends to fluctuate.

I agree with monchan, it must be related to axis stability. Being lean and having a very good air position helps rotating so he probably never needed per se to get his elbows in. But it might be the final detail that he will help him get the 4A. If he cannot skate, I guess a lot of body positioning will be worked to maximize his training.

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

54 minutes ago, Pika said:

I agree with monchan, it must be related to axis stability. Being lean and having a very good air position helps rotating so he probably never needed per se to get his elbows in. But it might be the final detail that he will help him get the 4A. If he cannot skate, I guess a lot of body positioning will be worked to maximize his training.

now my memory is what it is but if i'm not wrong both Max and Angelo once said it was somemthing divers do too,exactly for stability reasons.

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Thank you again for this explanation.

I just noticed that on this photo he wears a wholly different mon!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g298249-d8800098-Reviews-Icerink_Sendai-Sendai_Miyagi_Prefecture_Tohoku.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=356807366

I can hardly imagine it could be a rented haori. Could it be his mother's mon? Or his club's?

You can find the same symbol somewhere on this page:winky:

1 hour ago, mercedes said:

now my memory is what it is but if i'm not wrong both Max and Angelo once said it was somemthing divers do too,exactly for stability reasons.

Are you referring to this? 

In this video, from 06:45. They were talking about Boyang's arms position for his textbook 4Lutz - that the arms are not crossed, probably a technique borrowed from Chinese divers, to increase rotational speed.

Yuzu used to have different arm positions for different jumps when he was younger. I only realised this when I watched some of his old programs when he first entered Seniors. There was this 3Lz+2T he did, where his arms were crossed in 3Lz and then in the 2T his hands were on his hips for a more open position lol. Now his doubles are always rippon, his triples have the same air position as his quads, i.e. pic below. I personally find his air position very aesthetically pleasing, even if that was not the intention :xD:

yuzuru-hanyu-of-japan-competes-in-the-me   Cr: gettyimages

1 hour ago, MatchaBeans said:

Are you referring to this? 

In this video, from 06:45. They were talking about Boyang's arms position for his textbook 4Lutz - that the arms are not crossed, probably a technique borrowed from Chinese divers, to increase rotational speed.

Yuzu used to have different arm positions for different jumps when he was younger. I only realised this when I watched some of his old programs when he first entered Seniors. There was this 3Lz+2T he did, where his arms were crossed in 3Lz and then in the 2T his hands were on his hips for a more open position lol. Now his doubles are always rippon, his triples have the same air position as his quads, i.e. pic below. I personally find his air position very aesthetically pleasing, even if that was not the intention :xD:

yuzuru-hanyu-of-japan-competes-in-the-me   Cr: gettyimages

told you my memory wasn't good LOL

anyhow yep it is very pleasing considering the uber-human effort it takes!

maybe he did try different arms positions to see what was best.