General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

wait, how do we know this for sure? Did I miss anything?

I was informed by someone who would know that Yuzu and his mother returned To Japan shortly after TCC announced that they would be closed.   At the time, and possibly still, there have been ice rinks open in Japan. And even if they do close, he wouldn't be able to skate in Toronto and, I'm sure, would prefer to be with all his family at home. There hasn't been any announcement about his going home nor any press sightings.  Let's hope it stays that way so he can be safe and comfortable.  The official word is that there is no official word.

Just noting that today the City of Toronto announced that the lockdown will continue at least until the end of June.  No idea how quickly ice rinks would re-open after a lockdown is lifted.  Perhaps TCC could start its summer program in July, but I'd prefer they err on the side of caution until we have a reliable vaccine/antibody tests available here.  I'm not sure if rinks would be safe, considering asymptomatic transmission and some people's tendency to ignore mild symptoms and still go out/work.  So if Yuzu wants ice time, Japan seems like a better place atm?  Still, I hope he is extremely careful, especially given his asthma.  No need to be near anyone outside his household, no matter how healthy they seem.  Given the current lack of widespread testing (please be better at testing than Ontario, Japan!) and the lack of people working from home/social distancing worries me.  I feel it would be all too easy for community spread to go unrecognized too late.:( 

Much as I hate to say it, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable with a season next year unless a good vaccine/antibody test is released worldwide.  I would feel terrible if ACI, SCI, or another event facilitated a second wave in Ontario and elsewhere this fall/winter. 

12 hours ago, barbara said:

I was informed by someone who would know that Yuzu and his mother returned To Japan shortly after TCC announced that they would be closed.   At the time, and possibly still, there have been ice rinks open in Japan. And even if they do close, he wouldn't be able to skate in Toronto and, I'm sure, would prefer to be with all his family at home. There hasn't been any announcement about his going home nor any press sightings.  Let's hope it stays that way so he can be safe and comfortable.  The official word is that there is no official word.

Thank you so much for the info!

He doesn't make announcements regarding his logistics or even his health between championships. It is his private life, and I find rather intrusive my wish to know if he had managed to go and reunite with his family before airlines stopped flying to Japan. But I feel quite relieved to know he has. I do believe he is safer in Japan, PLUS he has his family, whether he can skate or not (and I believe he can, at least for now).

Although he has asthma, I don't think he would be in danger of death, should he catch the virus, as long as Sendai (and Japan) have enough respirators (and I suppose they may already be buying or making some, like many countries) but he may lose some lung capacity and have to stop competing, and I think it would be so sad. I really hope he won't have it, and am rather optimistic about it.