General Yuzuru Chat

7 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I agree that "cheater" is a very problematic and often inappropriate label in figure skating and sport in general. Especially, if you as an athlete don't violate any rules. You are not a cheater, just because you have less transitions than others in your program. So, how are you supposed to react, if you still get 9.50 for TR?

- Include the hardest transitions of all time in the next competition and terribly mess up the whole program?

- Speak up in the press conference that you don't deserve 9.50 for this program and wish to be scored accurately next time?

- Retire from skating?

All three solutions would be an own goal for the skater and I have my doubts that it would put an end to the corruption and bias in the long term. Maybe a spectacular retirement could cause some temporary change, but after one cycle ISU would return to 'business as usual'. I bet my money on that. Also, you cannot expect a skater to sacrifice his or her career to save the sport. This would be too much of an ask.

Nathan didn't exactly do that, but in the press conference after GPF2019 he did say something to the effect of being miles behind Yuzuru in transitions. He might even have said in skating skills in general but tbh I don't want to watch that press con again to find the exact quote.