General Yuzuru Chat

11 hours ago, Veveco said:

It's crazy to think that at the time, this was him doing his best and this was the best in the world and yet somehow he managed to continue to get better and better and better to the point that he is able to do Origin with 5 quads and perform Ballade like he did at 4CC. I hate to even think it, but 19-year-old Zu's skating looks a bit slow compared to now. I don't think anyone back in 2014 ever even dreamed that skating could be like what he's doing now.  

On 3/27/2020 at 1:34 PM, Henni147 said:

Yuzu's career is so special, because everything came together:

1. Talent and dedication:

Yuzu is gifted with an incredible talent as a skater and that lovestory between him and Ice-chan is unprecedented.

Skating is his life and fate and baby and everything. Like he said himself: he was born to skate.

2. Convenient timing of his career:

Yuzu was in the lucky situation that he could grow in parallel to the technical explosion. He wasn't forced to jump multiple quads in his junior and early senior seasons, so he could bear the physical strain of practice and competitions for more than a decade. I have my doubts that Yuzu would be still competing, if he had to jump five quads in the free from the beginning.

#Footnote: Actually it didn't have much to do with luck. Most of the drastic changes in men's skating happened, because the field couldn't beat Yuzu with conservative methods, aye?

3. Opportunity to combine highest technical difficulties with mature adult skating:

However, these circumstances put Yuzu in the exclusive situation that he could continuously develop his technical and artistic abilities side by side over 10 senior seasons and become a skater who now can perform mature adult programs with multiple quads AND highest artistic quality as a grown man. I don't think that any of the current juniors will reach his competitive peak at the age of 25. They might be still competing, but not for medals anymore. I hope that I'm wrong, but that's my fear.

4. Diversity among his rivals:

Different rivals with entirely different strengths (Patrick - skating skills, Javi - performance, Nathan - jumping) pushed Yuzu to his limits in all departments to become the most versatile and complete skater in history. I don't say that Yuzu couldn't have become a total package without them, but I'm sure, the diversity among his rivals played a key role in Yuzu's balanced and universal growth as a skater.

5. No candies: 

He managed to succeed in three Olympic cycles and two different judging systems with no backing from his federation. This is quite something. It's cruel on the one hand, but retrospectively the best thing that could happen to him. He earned all his titles rightfully with quality skating and nobody can take that away from him. He is not brandmarked as an overscored cheater, who needed the support of his fed to win. At the same time the unfairness that happened to him, forced him to evolve and go beyond his limits. That makes him even more popular and a champion to be respected.

3. I don't think either, young senior skaters and juniors of today, may have such a long career at top level. For instance, Nathan Chen (who wouldn't get any Gold should scores be accurate, but still he would medal consistently) worries me with his stiff landings. He may have iron joints, he is certainly not a superhuman and I am afraid he will have problems.
But I feel more optimistic for those of tomorrow, because some day, Yuzuru Hanyu will coach, and I think, perhaps with the help of doctors (whom he is likely to understand well), he will teach his pupils how to land safely quints. And such know-how will spread.

Which doesn't mean there will ever be "another Yuzuru Hanyu" (or any skater with such vision, artistry, in addition to all the skills and jumps which can be taught). I rather think we have him (how lucky), and he is forever.

5. This is really a pity in this situation. I would in no way call Nathan Chen a cheater. His jumps are real jumps. If he is not called for his crossovers, nor gets the right GOEs or PCs, it is not by any of his doing. Yet human mind is prone to manichæism, so we tend to class him among the evil. He "deserve(s) neither such praise" (being the best) "nor such censure" (being a cheater). And as in character he is not a dominant, contrary to Yuzuru Hanyu, I tend to see his situation as imposing itself on him, and he may feel quite uneasy. I suppose Yuzuru Hanyu feels it, from his compliments.

3 hours ago, Fay said:

They apparently did, and it seems to be available on weibo, but I can never watch it... 

this is the link 

http://www.weibo.com/tv/v/IAIl0lZz0?fid=1034:4487485015654409

Don't understand more than the figure skating terms, but the performances they showed:

Chopin GPF'15

SEIMEI GPF'15

PW SC'19 - the On Ice Perspective version of the practice

Notte Stellata GPF'19

Origin SC'19

It's been nice to watch all of them again.

2 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

5. This is really a pity in this situation. I would in no way call Nathan Chen a cheater. His jumps are real jumps. If he is not called for his crossovers, nor gets the right GOEs or PCs, it is not by any of his doing. Yet human mind is prone to manichæism, so we tend to class him among the evil. He "deserve(s) neither such praise" (being the best) "nor such censure" (being a cheater). And as in character he is not a dominant, contrary to Yuzuru Hanyu, I tend to see his situation as imposing itself on him, and he may feel quite uneasy. I suppose Yuzuru Hanyu feels it, from his compliments.

I agree that "cheater" is a very problematic and often inappropriate label in figure skating and sport in general. Especially, if you as an athlete don't violate any rules. You are not a cheater, just because you have less transitions than others in your program. So, how are you supposed to react, if you still get 9.50 for TR?

- Include the hardest transitions of all time in the next competition and terribly mess up the whole program?

- Speak up in the press conference that you don't deserve 9.50 for this program and wish to be scored accurately next time?

- Retire from skating?

All three solutions would be an own goal for the skater and I have my doubts that it would put an end to the corruption and bias in the long term. Maybe a spectacular retirement could cause some temporary change, but after one cycle ISU would return to 'business as usual'. I bet my money on that. Also, you cannot expect a skater to sacrifice his or her career to save the sport. This would be too much of an ask.