General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, cereus said:

Somehow these statements from the official website for Stockholm 2021 are particularly troubling after our collective experience with Montreal 2020:

"All-Event tickets will be available in the end of May. Day tickets will be released in September."

"The All-Event Passport is one ticket that enables access to all competitions and the Exhibition Gala at Ericsson Globe."

"Tickets are not refundable. There will be no exceptions to this policy. The event schedule and the competing athletes are always subject to change."

[emphases added]

Unfortunately if you want good seats, you're stuck paying for all event tickets and if I'm spending that much to go to Sweden, I wouldn't settle for crappy seats.

Just a few months ago I was debating whether I should spend money on tickets to Montreal because the tickets were so expensive and now I'm contemplating spending even more to go to Sweden for worlds!  What has he done to me?!? :embSwan:

My biggest fear is that I'll spend $3-4k and he won't be there for some reason. But I guess it will give more time for sight seeing since I won't care about the practices.

Random thought: Doesn't the ESPN Fame 100 usually come out in March? 

Yuzu was 70 in 2018. 64 in 2019. Will the Google year in search boost his ranking this year?

I still don't really get the search score metric.  It seems that higher is better but there's some athletes that are really high on the list with a low search score and others that are really low that have a high search score.

57 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Random thought: Doesn't the ESPN Fame 100 usually come out in March? 

Yuzu was 70 in 2018. 64 in 2019. Will the Google year in search boost his ranking this year?

I still don't really get the search score metric.  It seems that higher is better but there's some athletes that are really high on the list with a low search score and others that are really low that have a high search score.

Search score is only one of the metrics they use. They also factor in social media followers and endorsement contracts. Athletes who are high on the list but have low search scores are really high in one or both of the other metrics.

16 часов назад, FlyingCamel сказал:

Haha what did the other commentator say?

He said "I do! It was Tatyana Tarasova. :D And in his interviews he spoke about it many times and thanked"

And then she said that she just came across this music and thought who to give it to, and of course it should be Yuzu, because who else could bring it to life so well?

And sometime later the other commentator asked "So, this is 'Dying Swan'?" and she answered 'Well, you hear the music'. So, considering her words about that music, her standarts regarding it, I think it means a lot that she gave this particular music to Yuzu.

When TAT starts gushing about Yuzu, I wish she could have 20 minutes uninterrupted time to just say all she wants to say. I'd love lo listen to that. :agree2:Apart from all the usual 'amazing' and 'genius' she would often have some interesting remarks from the pov of coach, e.g. that remark about his relaxed upper body and explosion jumps, and conserving energy during his skate, which she gave during GPF FS

4 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Unfortunately if you want good seats, you're stuck paying for all event tickets and if I'm spending that much to go to Sweden, I wouldn't settle for crappy seats.

Just a few months ago I was debating whether I should spend money on tickets to Montreal because the tickets were so expensive and now I'm contemplating spending even more to go to Sweden for worlds!  What has he done to me?!? :embSwan:

My biggest fear is that I'll spend $3-4k and he won't be there for some reason. But I guess it will give more time for sight seeing since I won't care about the practices.

I've decided I am not buying any all event ticket.  That policy is so insensitive and tonedeaf.  In light of the Covid 19 infections around the world and the economic freefall, I am even less interested in putting an obscene amount of money into ISU's pockets.

Sorry, Yuzu.  I love you but will sit this one out.

2 часа назад, Dreamer сказал:

I've decided I am not buying any all event ticket.  That policy is so insensitive and tonedeaf.  In light of the Covid 19 infections around the world and the economic freefall, I am even less interested in putting an obscene amount of money into ISU's pockets.

Sorry, Yuzu.  I love you but will sit this one out.

All-event is out of my price range, I'm hoping to get single tickets for the days of Men's SP and FS, and no gala if they are planning this circus again 

9 hours ago, cereus said:

Somehow these statements from the official website for Stockholm 2021 are particularly troubling after our collective experience with Montreal 2020:

"All-Event tickets will be available in the end of May. Day tickets will be released in September."

"The All-Event Passport is one ticket that enables access to all competitions and the Exhibition Gala at Ericsson Globe."

"Tickets are not refundable. There will be no exceptions to this policy. The event schedule and the competing athletes are always subject to change."

[emphases added]

(not sure if this belongs here or in the Montreal 2020 thread)

:59182a91b7414_cool(1)::thumbsup:

The Worlds begins with a spectacular opening show on Wednesday 24th of March and closes with the Exhibition of Champions on Sunday afternoon, 28th of March.

Tbh, I think these awards got a green light, because Skate Canada wanted to invite their retired skaters to worlds - to get more attention from local audience.

I don't know, maybe Sweden will also agree. But I don't think Zakarian would be so dramatically sad about cancellation if he knew, that awards farce will be an annual event.

For those who have the money and the time I would nonetheless advise against any attempts to obtain tickets for next season.  The reason - There is still a good chance that next season may be cancelled.  The reason - The virus is still very present come midsummer.  Another reason - Even despite the season going forward a lot of high-profile skaters are sitting it out.  One skater I know who might sit it out is our own Yuzuru Hanyu who, because of his asthma, sees himself as vulnerable to the virus.  With his mischances over recent seasons because of injury, and one because of the flu, he sees no great advantage in soldiering forward.  The show will go on but he will not be in it.  He might even use the occasion to announce his retirement.  He certainly doesn't need the money (he has plenty of that), nor the prestige (his legacy, which includes back-to-back Olympic golds, 4 consecutive GPF golds and two world championships, is already monumental) nor the experience (ten years of active senior competition is more than enough).  In any case I really think there's a legitimate chance that next season will be cancelled.  I even think there's a chance, because of the logistics involved, that this year's Olympics, right now postponed, might also be canceled.  That was the case during both of the World Wars.

23 minutes ago, micaelis said:

For those who have the money and the time I would nonetheless advise against any attempts to obtain tickets for next season.  The reason - There is still a good chance that next season may be cancelled.  The reason - The virus is still very present come midsummer.  Another reason - Even despite the season going forward a lot of high-profile skaters are sitting it out.  One skater I know who might sit it out is our own Yuzuru Hanyu who, because of his asthma, sees himself as vulnerable to the virus.  With his mischances over recent seasons because of injury, and one because of the flu, he sees no great advantage in soldiering forward.  The show will go on but he will not be in it.  He might even use the occasion to announce his retirement.  He certainly doesn't need the money (he has plenty of that), nor the prestige (his legacy, which includes back-to-back Olympic golds, 4 consecutive GPF golds and two world championships, is already monumental) nor the experience (ten years of active senior competition is more than enough).  In any case I really think there's a legitimate chance that next season will be cancelled.  I even think there's a chance, because of the logistics involved, that this year's Olympics, right now postponed, might also be canceled.  That was the case during both of the World Wars.

Well, I have to disagree. Yes, the virus might be a continuous threat for a good deal of months, but once the peril gone, I don`t see any reasons to conclude that the whole season would be at risk. The unpredictibility of the situation is the only predictible thing. And to assert that many top skaters will sit out, including Yuzuru... The moment that the show is on the road again, these fighters will be in the first line, believe me! Or, it`s just me, and my optimistic pov. But definitely sitting out on a pre-olympic year....... Come on!

12 hours ago, cereus said:

[emphases added]

(not sure if this belongs here or in the Montreal 2020 thread)

I learned my lesson and will not buy an All-Event pass again. That's if travel to Stockholm is even possible by then. Who knows. I suspect ticket sales are going to be very, very slow for 2021 Worlds until this coronavirus thing is over. 

Also, looks like the Stockholm venue has a similar ticket sales mechanism in place as Evenko did. Even more reason to stay away from the early ticket-buying frenzy. I will definitely only do single-day tickets and pick and choose my events. 

Also, no ticket prices listed yet. Are we just guessing it'll be the same $$$$ as Montreal? 

Just now, mercedes said:

I'm thinking about going too,Montreal was out of my league(too expensive to fly over Canada)but Sweden could be doable....sure the virus situation is bad but I need to be positive.

Hopefully the situation will be better and we'll get a new season!

Same for me.

I am hesitating between buying all-event tickets even before knowing if I can go, as they seem to be with a "gala exhibition" as it used to be (and I don't mind if they just add half an hour Award circus); meaning to protest loudly if they replace it by some ersatz and to refuse to attend it.

Yuzuru Hanyu has wonderful masterpieces of exhibition programs, other skaters are way more entertaining in their exhibition programs too, it also show more of them, that's what people want to see, and ISU must understand they won't buy some indifferent stuff, even less attract anybody not already interested in figure skating.

And buying individual tickets.