General Yuzuru Chat

15 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Maybe if they postpone he can do it at the new date...

You think he's gonna do it if they ask? He didn't even bother to be flagbearer in PC despite making history, I don't know why he has to light cauldron for Summer Olympics. He might just politely refuse even if asked. 

Yuzu seems not interested at all in all these ceremonial activities. Why fans care? Hope organizers leave him alone. This Olympic is cursed enough.

It's funny how fans circle back to similar topics when there isn't much Yuzu-news to go around :grin:. It's certainly a nice way to divert oneself and distract from the more serious situation happening in the world.

I remember talks about the shortcake some time back and I wish I could dig up my original comments on it to share again. It's not that Yuzu doesn't like chocolate cake, he actually said the chocolate cake he sampled in that 2015 FaoI interview with Nobu and Shoma was tasty. What he said was that he usually doesn't have chocolate cake, and that he usually ate "shortcake". It's clear to me he meant that when his family eats cake, they usually bought shortcake. Not that he didn't like rich cakes or chocolate cakes, although Asian shortcake is more like sponge cake with whipped cream than western style shortcake which tends to be dry and a bit more like a biscuit.

Things I remember him specifically saying he liked to eat, in various interviews across the years include: chocolate, gyoza, tonkatsu, tamago kake gohan, and yudofu.

Chocolate he's been known to snack on so having Lotte as a sponsor seemed to be a good match. I remember reading about how his appetite is slow to kick start. I wish I can pull up where I read it but it's probably buried somewhere in GS at this point and would require some searching, I'm guessing it's a translation of an account by the Ajinomoto nutritionist sometime around 2014/2015. I believe the anecdote was that he would usually eat very little of his meal since he had a slow appetite, but later after meals his mom would find him snacking on chocolate. The solution from the nutritionist was to feed him soup first (like nabe), which is easy to digest and allow his appetite to slowly build for the rest of the meal.

Gyoza I believe he said he loved his grandparents gyoza. Gyoza I think they usually servied pan-fried in Japan (so delicious) although in the US a lot of Japanese restaurants tend to deep-fry them (also tasty, but much more greasy). I think when he won junior worlds he and his family went out for tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet), you can hear him talking about gyoza and tonkatsu in this 2010 clip:

So I think Yuzu actually likes fried food, even if he doesn't eat a ton of it, although maybe his tastes have changed a bit as he matured. He also that comment about eating fries at McDonalds (there's actually a McDonalds about 2-3 blocks from Ice Rink Sendai of all things, I went inside it after visiting the rink for a midday snack), and he also enjoys the occasional coke/soda :) . He's said himself he's not that interested in food, and we don't see many videos of him eating but he really attacked his bowl of tamago kake gohan a couple years ago so there's clearly certain foods he does love despite his general disinterest in food.

3 hours ago, monchan said:

You think he's gonna do it if they ask? He didn't even bother to be flagbearer in PC despite making history, I don't know why he has to light cauldron for Summer Olympics. He might just politely refuse even if asked. 

Yuzu seems not interested at all in all these ceremonial activities. Why fans care? Hope organizers leave him alone. This Olympic is cursed enough.

Being flagbearer in PC was a different issue. Kodaira Nao was his sempai, so he deferred to her. I think she also got two gold medals, while he got one. And she was also the team captain. And on top of that, he was tired, injured and probably just wanted to enjoy the ceremony a bit. He also disappeared right after they paraded, so he likely didn't stay for the whole thing, which I'm not sure he would have been able to do as flagbearer.

Lighting the Olympic flame is a different thing. It's unlikely the one lighting it would be an active Summer Olympian - I don't think they usually are - and they do say there's going to be a theme of recovery from the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami and nobody is more of a symbol of that than Yuzu. That he's also a Double Olympic Champion is bonus points. And if it's seen as a further symbol to the recovery, I suspect he would do it, if only just for that. Whether they'll ask him or not and whether he'll accept or not, no idea. If he doesn't, we might never know either. I think it would be a good recognition of his value to the Japanese people, though, that's why I'd like to see it happen. And it would further cement his status. But if he doesn't want to do it, then he obviously shouldn't.

As things are now, though, then I definitely hope he'll stay a hermit in Toronto. But under normal circumstances, depending on the reason given, I would like him to do it, yes.

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Ded at the channel name haha Hundred Acre studios XD Yuzu would approve

edit: TAT being supportive of Yuzu as always!

About Maya Plisetskaya's Dying Swan I rather agree — much less about Diana Vishneva, though maybe I was not lucky when I saw her live (in tour, and not conducted by Valery Gergiev : with all his scorning ballet conducting, who is playing and who is conducting makes a huge difference).

3小時前, FlyingCamel說:

Maybe this is why TAT gave Yuzu the Dying Swan music :cri:.

Notte stellata is probably my favorite exhibition programme (If MOI Seimei is not counted as an exhibition).

4 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

I start to get really annoyed... Why does everyone make it sound like the MVS award is NOT a given?! Why do Tarasova, Orser and others have to speak up for Yuzu to win this?! Is the MVS award not about money and popularity and biggest fandom anymore? I don't know why I care about this clownery award at all, I really shouldn't... but it makes me angry and sad. 

Sorry for this rant. It's nice that TAT praises and worships Chopin, it's a legendary program and deserves every credit.

Gomen, I edited this post like 10 times now to calm down a little. This MVS debate is not good for my blood pressure :13877886:

NHK BS will broadcast a program titled  "羽生結弦 10年間の軌跡~NHK杯フィギュア~  (Yuzuru Hanyu  Trajectory of 10 Years ~NHK Trophy~)" at 20:00 on March 31, and it's a 110 minute program!

I'm really happy that NHK has decided to air this in the middle of such a dark time. I also want NHK to include a longer version of famous clip of Yuzu surrounded by numerous Poohs in the hotel? room.

I hope everyone here including me will be fine till next Tuesday. Nowadays the world changes drastically only after one week and it is too scary.

5 hours ago, Henni147 said:

I start to get really annoyed... Why does everyone make it sound like the MVS award is NOT a given?! Why do Tarasova, Orser and others have to speak up for Yuzu to win this?! Did I miss something? Is the MVS award not about money and popularity and biggest fandom anymore? I don't know why I care about this clownery award at all, I really shouldn't... but it makes me angry and sad. 

Sorry for this rant. It's nice that TAT praises and worships Chopin, it's a legendary program and deserves every credit.

Gomen, I edited this post like 10 times now to calm down a little :13877886:

:consoling2:

Look at this the other: there is no way that you attend WC (as a skater, coach, official or fan) and not know about Pooh rain.
Everybody in the arena would know that it's false. ╮(╯▽╰)╭

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I start to get really annoyed... Why does everyone make it sound like the MVS award is NOT a given?! Why do Tarasova, Orser and others have to speak up for Yuzu to win this?! Is the MVS award not about money and popularity and biggest fandom anymore? I don't know why I care about this clownery award at all, I really shouldn't... but it makes me angry and sad. 

Gomen, I edited this post like 10 times now to calm down a little. This MVS debate is not good for my blood pressure :13877886:

*hugs* 

Looking at the big picture it looks like all judges or isu committee would have voted for Nathan but legendary coaches and skaters are the ones who would have gone for Yuzu. sums up the general idea of whats going around in this sport