General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I think he's safer in any place that doesn't require him to go out and given that he is, as far as we know, still in Toronto, it's there.

Traveling is a risk even at other times. The dry, recirculated air in the airplane, the crossing of time zones, the sheer tiredness of a long flight of over 10 hours, plus airport waiting times are always a risk of getting sick. I get colds virtually every time I travel long distance. I have spent flights home from Japan shivering continuously from fever and I don't usually get fevers. And that was without any viruses going around. We also know it has happened to Yuzu as well. It's why he had his accident in 2017, because he was stubborn enough to jump while not fully recovered from the strong fever he developed after traveling from Canada to Japan. Traveling is also likely to trigger asthma attacks, IIRC, so really, if it's not absolutely necessary, like for visa reasons, I hope he stays put.

On top of that, given how lax Japan is, I wouldn't be surprised if his sponsors would have demands of him and it would be hard to refuse. And the media would try to get a hold of him and whatnot. Also, as far as I know, Ice Rink Sendai is closed and likely to remain so. If he's in Toronto, his contact with people is very limited and staying indoors is what he mostly does anyway. So definitely safer. Likely not more comfortable, but we're talking safety now, not comfort. In an ideal world, sure, it would be great if Yuzu could spend Summers with his family and stay at home and so on, but this isn't an ideal world. He usually has so many eyes on him and so many obligations in Japan. Personally, I think he feels more comfortable in Toronto by now, anyway, simply because in Toronto he can breathe a little and not be THE Yuzuru Hanyu 24/7.

And even that aside, COVID-19 restrictions are not an excuse for a holiday. Even if most people stay at home with their loved ones, it's not a holiday, it's a siege. Comfort is not the top priority, safety is. And nothing is safer now than being a hermit with as few contacts as possible, which is what he is in Toronto.

And also, it's not like he doesn't have things to do. There are games, there are his studies, just imagine how much he can study and how much he can think about skating now, with no real time restrictions. How much music he can consider and choreography and so on. I'm sure he'll get the itch, too, from being cooped up with no chance to practice, but he's a smart boy. He knows there are bigger things than skating going on in the world now, so he'll grit his teeth and find ways to occupy his time. Just like all of us.

(Personally, I think my biggest regret for this Summer is Yuzu not getting to to be the one to light the Olympic Flame :1: I wanted that really badly, but now I just want him to stay away and stay safe, even if they offer it to him. Maybe if they postpone he can do it at the new date...)

Thank you, I didn't know "his" rink was closed, even for training?

As to air quality onboard, I understand A380 (I don't think any could be flying now), B787 and particularly A350 don't give those breathing problems and fevers.

I just hope he does what he thinks best, because it is very likely to be what IS best. ;-)

And I was also considering the possibility he might already be back to Japan.

As to quarantine measures when going back to Toronto, as these things tend to change everyday...

Now HK will be banning all non-residents as of Wednesday AND international flights will not be allowed to connect through HK. 

A bad (last?) stroke to Cathay Pacific. I hope this old Lady will survive.

58 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

(Personally, I think my biggest regret for this Summer is Yuzu not getting to to be the one to light the Olympic Flame :1: I wanted that really badly, but now I just want him to stay away and stay safe, even if they offer it to him. Maybe if they postpone he can do it at the new date...)

I don't think Yuzu would have been the choice to light the cauldron.   My own guess is that Kohei Ichimura, if he is not competing, as a gymnast reckoned by many as gymnastics' GOAT, would be the one to perform that task.  I do think, however, Yuzu, Japan's most widely known Olympic athlete, would have had a high visibility role, perhaps the one who would hand the torch to Kohei.  The situation now is largely moot since the story arising today is that there is very serious consideration being given to postponing the Olympics to next year.  Most medical experts are saying that the world will not be getting back to normal any time soon and I would caution all of you that there is a good chance next skating season will be cancelled (along with virtually every other sporting event).  Right now I think all of us should give thanks to having the internet.  It is for me a lifeline (even before this whole pandemic crisis) and I have a feeling for most of you it is a means of not dying of boredom and not feeling so isolated.  

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

Imagine if one of GP events will be cancelled shortly before competition starts (like it was with worlds).

And GPF is in China, one of the most affected countries.😥

Let's all try to stay hopeful that this virus will be more under control a couple of months from now.  And due to it's threat level, every bioscientist in the world is looking for a vaccine and effective treatment.  That won't happen this week but months from now, it is possible for a treatment to be found.  We mustn't give up.

I believe that Yuzu and his mother are back in Japan.

If this is true, I would fully understand Yuzu’s reasons for doing so. Not only are his father and sister there, but also his elderly grandparents and other relatives as well. I am sure that he would rather be with them at this critical time. This pandemic is going to be with us for quite a while, months if not longer, and Yuzu knows it.

Furthermore, he is better off in Sendai than he is in Toronto. The only reason why he was in Toronto was to practice at the Cricket Club. The Cricket Club is closed indefinitely. They have no close friends or relatives in Toronto. They really are isolated in that sense.

Ontario currently has the largest number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Canada at 489 with British Columbia running neck and neck at 472. As I said earlier, Tohoku has no confirmed cases of the virus yet. (Knock on wood!) Yuzu and his mother have a greater chance of contracting the virus in Toronto than they do in Sendai, even if they are just going out to get groceries. If by chance one or both of them were to contract the virus in Toronto, they would really be in trouble.

In Sendai, they are not emotionally isolated. They are surrounded by family, relatives and friends, all speaking Japanese and sharing a common culture. They have plenty of people to help them if the necessity arises.

If I am right, I think that Yuzu is where he can be happy, healthy and best able to weather this storm. Although I am certainly not suggesting that Yuzu should or would go skating, I note that Ice Rink Sendai still appears to be open.

57 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I believe that Yuzu and his mother are back in Japan.

I hope so. When TCC closed, Canada didn't have many cases of covid19, so that would be the best time to travel... because everyone knew it would only get worse and travel would be more risky. And, most people want to be home when there is a big threat/emergency , so it makes the most sense. If he can't train, he might as well be at home... esp since that is where the shows will be (if FaOI still occurs).

I remember listening to an interview with Debbie Travis, a British/Canadian tv personality and interior designer, on the weekend. She lives mostly in Italy now but she returned to England after Italy began their emergency... her reasoning was that her Italian wasn't very good and if she happened to get sick she wanted to be somewhere where they spoke English. I suspect that most people would prefer to communicate easily with their carers when they are very sick.

38 minutes ago, liv said:

I hope so. When TCC closed, Canada didn't have many cases of covid19, so that would be the best time to travel... because everyone knew it would only get worse and travel would be more risky. And, most people want to be home when there is a big threat/emergency , so it makes the most sense. If he can't train, he might as well be at home... esp since that is where the shows will be (if FaOI still occurs).

I remember listening to an interview with Debbie Travis, a British/Canadian tv personality and interior designer, on the weekend. She lives mostly in Italy now but she returned to England after Italy began their emergency... her reasoning was that her Italian wasn't very good and if she happened to get sick she wanted to be somewhere where they spoke English. I suspect that most people would prefer to communicate easily with their carers when they are very sick.

It's probably a nice time for him to be home simply because no one is out and about to be able to stalk and crowd him. He'll probably never have this chance again, the poor thing, if it apparently takes a global pandemic for him to get some peace and quiet at home. 

18 minutes ago, river said:

Please. I work in healthcare, and I know a lot of other satellites do as well. I could really use a break from the COVID talk, as things are starting to heat up where I live. Obviously I don't mind talking about it, but for my own mental health, it's best quarantined (sorry, can't resist the pun) from my hobbies.

& @cereus @Geo1 @liv @memae @Murieleirum @Figure_Frenzy@SitTwizzle @KatjaThera @micaelisStarted a thread here:

I don't know how to move the relevant posts from here to there though