General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm not sure about liking more delicate tasting things, because those concoctions he's made for the Ghana Hot Chocolate clips are anything but delicate lol

I got the info about preferring delicate tasting food from the FaOI interview he did with Nobu and Shoma (admittedly it was in response to which kind of cake he prefers, so it's most likely that he responded specifically about cakes, not about his food preferences in general).

...and about the Ghana cocoa concoction, he made that with his fans in mind, so you can argue that he didn't base that creation on his own preferences at that time 😏 (...and another word on him preferring Ghana chocolate — I remembered that he said he likes Ghana because he can eat more without feeling like he had too much of it too quickly).

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Regarding Yuzu and food: the only thing I know for sure is that Nobu has said Yuzu has a very light appetite, and that Nobu has never seen him eat fried food. Also that at Skate Canada international in Lethbridge, in 2015, he and Daisuke Murakami had a hard time eating the banquet because it was nearly all too oily and greasy for them. (As per one of Daisuke's YouTube videos). 

So I would guess that Yuzu has a pretty healthy but simple diet overall.

Yuzu loves gyoza, it's a fried food. He also said about his mom would grill meat for him in days that need energy.

But yep, he's grown up with mother's food, I don't think he's interested in anything outside basic Japanese meal. Jpn food in general has light taste and is healthy.

No mercy :sad-smiley-046:

Stars on Ice in Hachinohe and Yokohama have been cancelled.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200323-00010041-chuspo-spo

https://figureskate-soi.com/news_20200323.html

Skaters should be safe. Now I'm expecting Yuzuru will join FaOI this year.

EDIT:  Wait.  What is the rescheduled show for Yokohama?  I don't understand. 

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200323-00000195-spnannex-spo

3 minutes ago, monchan said:

Yuzu loves gyoza, it's a fried food. He also said about his mom would grill meat for him in days that need energy.

But yep, he's grown up with mother's food, I don't think he's interested in anything outside basic Japanese meal. Jpn food in general has light taste and is healthy.

We've also seen him eat karaage when he was in highschool and it was apparently his favorite then. That's even more fried than gyoza. Japan generally has healthy food, but they also have a lot of fried and deep-fried dishes. The difference is they are usually properly drained of oil, so it's not that bad, especially if eaten warm, immediately after preparation. (I admit some things that are perfectly good freshly made can be really heavy after a while).

37 minutes ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I got the info about preferring delicate tasting food from the FaOI interview he did with Nobu and Shoma (admittedly it was in response to which kind of cake he prefers, so it's most likely that he responded specifically about cakes, not about his food preferences in general).

...and about the Ghana cocoa concoction, he made that with his fans in mind, so you can argue that he didn't base that creation on his own preferences at that time 😏 (...and another word on him preferring Ghana chocolate — I remembered that he said he likes Ghana because he can eat more without feeling like he had too much of it too quickly).

IIRC in that interview, when Nobu first asks why he doesn't eat more chocolate cake, he says I don't know... more like... I just don't. But actually, I find chocolate cake way too heavy myself, not so much taste wise as just... in general, it's too much. I prefer something lighter and fruitier. Which doesn't necessarily extend to other things.

As for the Ghana thing, he did say that about the last one, with the mountain of whipped cream - and it made me wonder if he secretly wants his entire fanbase to die of sugar overload - but I don't remember him saying it about the previous two (the one with the marshmallow and the candied ginger or the one with zunda). That being said, I did try the mrshmallow one and it wasn't nearly as sweet as you would think, mostly because Ghana chocolate isn't as sweet as other milk chocolates. (Here, I'm partial to Milka and that's much sweeter than Ghana.)

8 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

No mercy :sad-smiley-046:

Stars on Ice in Hachinohe and Yokohama have been cancelled.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20200323-00010041-chuspo-spo

https://figureskate-soi.com/news_20200323.html

Skaters should be safe. Now I'm expecting Yuzuru will join FaOI this year.

There was no way SOI could have happened. Almost half the cast was from the US and US citizens are advised not to travel, plus they have now been included on the 'must quarantine for 14 days upon arrival' list. The Canadians are probably next on that list, the Europeans already are on that list and the Japanese skaters training abroad risk not being able to go back to their training places if they go to Japan, because they wouldn't be allowed back in their respective countries. And that on top of how dangerous it is to travel now. I personally suspect Yuzu might have already withdrawn (which might be why TBS chose to air that clip with the florist, as a sort of lashing out; though I could also be reading too much into it; it just seems so stupid to me to air something like that about the star of your upcoming shows...) and that might have given them the final push to finally cancel. (Or well, postpone, as it seems it hurts their soul to outright cancel.)

I also can't see, at this point in time, FaOI happening either. With Canada announcing that they refuse to send athletes to the Olympics if it doesn't get postponed, I can't imagine the Olympics will go on. And if the Olympics, which are even later than FaOI, get postponed, I can't imagine how FaOI would be ok. Japan also seems to NOT really be taking serious measures. Admittedly, I haven't followed infection rates, but seeing people attend large scale events, not practicing much social distancing, hearing that many people don't follow basic instructions, like hand washing and cough courtesy, it's hard to imagine that, from the outside, Japan looks safe for people to travel to. I personally gave up on participating in the lottery for Niigata at this point. I might reconsider future lotteries based on what happens next, but seeing how utterly KY Japan looks compared to the rest of the world, I wouldn't feel safe traveling there. And the last thing I want is for Yuzu to go anywhere not safe. If he sets foot in Japan, you know he'll be swarmed to do promo stuff, CMs and whatnot. He's better off as a hermit in Toronto. On top of that, FaOI skater announcement has a small issue, in that Javi appears confirmed for all shows in Shizuoka, yet he's scheduled to have his Summer Camp in Spain, starting on the last day of that. No way can he teleport, but I think at this point nobody knows if either will happen, so no point in clarifying. Spain is doing really bad, Italy is beyond bad, all of Europe is bad and I expect US and Canada will follow. I know many skaters need the ice show money, but I hope none of them needs it enough to risk their health for it.

30 minutes ago, lajoitko said:

Yuzu tells here little about his diet, about 53 minutes onward. He likes chips and soft drinks and goes to McDonald's. 

He said he SOMETIMES go to McDonald's, and he didn't say he LIKES chips. (I sometimes go to Mac, but truly I can't stand it)

I rmb in other interview he said he did go to McDonald's and drink coke, but not really his thing and he mostly just eat his mom's food. So yeah, Yuzu is not the one to enjoy eating everything.

3 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

@KatjaThera Funny thing is, FaOI has only announced foreign skaters.  No Japanese skaters are known at present although this is the show held in Japan.

I really don't understand :confused:

FaOI I think is just being optimistic... Choosing to do things as they usually do, as if nothing's wrong and it's just another off season. They always announce the foreign skaters first, then a big batch of Japanese skaters, then other skaters trickle in and they usually end with Yuzu. I can't imagine any of these are 100% sure,though. Also, aside from Ashley and Kaetlyn, all are FaOI regulars. Well, Liza became one last year. (I wonder if Ashley being in ROI played a part lol I actually liked her at ROI a lot, she was super fun and even at the M&G was really full of energy and very nice.) If it were right now, the Canadians are probably free to travel, though recommended against, Liza and Plush, too, maybe (not sure if Russia has taken any measures), but Ashley, Johnny, Stephane, Javi would all go straight into quarantine.

Many thanks to everybody.

KatjaThera, the only thing I don't necessarily agree with is, is Yuzuru Hanyu better off now in Toronto or in Sendai. The risk in flights and airports is lessening with dwindling numbers of passengers, if he's in Sendai he may be able to skate as soon as he ends a self-imposed quarantine, and he is home. And with both parents, and his sister, and maybe her family if she has. So, I really have no opinion on the matter, and am sure HE has and is doing best.

Of course in Toronto he can find a job as a baby-sitter, or cat-sitter. ;-) Or read Pride and Prejudice, to "find himself" (partly) portrayed by the cleverest, wittiest, most tenderly teasing author, and get the most wonderful and pleasant English skills boost that can be.

It is even available online.

https://pemberley.com/etext/PandP/index.html

And as to alcohol, it seems he reacts to alcohol itself, and with more than a very few molecules, so when there is alcohol in a recipe such as baked cake, there is no problem as alcohol vanishes with heat, only flavour molecules remain.

As to fried food, I really agree there is a great difference between delicate, slightly fried gyoza, and chips or other heavily fried stuff. And he may have a stricter diet for practice and competition, than for "off" moments when he may think he can afford some heavier digestion and lower efficiency, for instance just before a long haul flight back to Toronto after a championship. I suppose it must be the same for most top-level athletes.

2 hours ago, monchan said:

Is gyoza really a fried food, though? Any time I've had gyoza, they've been very light and not greasy at all, and I thought they were like pierogy - you boil/steam them then brown them very lightly in a pan. And grilling is not frying.

I probably should have said 'deep fried', like french fries or tempura. 

1 hour ago, KatjaThera said:

FaOI I think is just being optimistic... Choosing to do things as they usually do, as if nothing's wrong and it's just another off season. They always announce the foreign skaters first, then a big batch of Japanese skaters, then other skaters trickle in and they usually end with Yuzu. I can't imagine any of these are 100% sure,though. Also, aside from Ashley and Kaetlyn, all are FaOI regulars. Well, Liza became one last year. (I wonder if Ashley being in ROI played a part lol I actually liked her at ROI a lot, she was super fun and even at the M&G was really full of energy and very nice.) If it were right now, the Canadians are probably free to travel, though recommended against, Liza and Plush, too, maybe (not sure if Russia has taken any measures), but Ashley, Johnny, Stephane, Javi would all go straight into quarantine.

Canadian skaters might be free to travel but getting back to the country might be another story. There's been news item after news item about Canadians getting stranded overseas as airlines shut down. if I were in their shoes, I'd stay put at home right now.

17 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Many thanks to everybody.

KatjaThera, the only thing I don't necessarily agree with is, is Yuzuru Hanyu better off now in Toronto or in Sendai. The risk in flights and airports is lessening with dwindling numbers of passengers, if he's in Sendai he may be able to skate as soon as he ends a self-imposed quarantine, and he is home. And with both parents, and his sister, and maybe her family if she has. So, I really have no opinion on the matter, and am sure HE has and is doing best.

Of course in Toronto he can find a job as a baby-sitter, or cat-sitter. ;-) Or read Pride and Prejudice, to "find himself" (partly) portrayed by the cleverest, wittiest, most tenderly teasing author, and get the most wonderful and pleasant English skills boost that can be.

It is even available online.

https://pemberley.com/etext/PandP/index.html

I think he's safer in any place that doesn't require him to go out and given that he is, as far as we know, still in Toronto, it's there.

Traveling is a risk even at other times. The dry, recirculated air in the airplane, the crossing of time zones, the sheer tiredness of a long flight of over 10 hours, plus airport waiting times are always a risk of getting sick. I get colds virtually every time I travel long distance. I have spent flights home from Japan shivering continuously from fever and I don't usually get fevers. And that was without any viruses going around. We also know it has happened to Yuzu as well. It's why he had his accident in 2017, because he was stubborn enough to jump while not fully recovered from the strong fever he developed after traveling from Canada to Japan. Traveling is also likely to trigger asthma attacks, IIRC, so really, if it's not absolutely necessary, like for visa reasons, I hope he stays put.

On top of that, given how lax Japan is, I wouldn't be surprised if his sponsors would have demands of him and it would be hard to refuse. And the media would try to get a hold of him and whatnot. Also, as far as I know, Ice Rink Sendai is closed and likely to remain so. If he's in Toronto, his contact with people is very limited and staying indoors is what he mostly does anyway. So definitely safer. Likely not more comfortable, but we're talking safety now, not comfort. In an ideal world, sure, it would be great if Yuzu could spend Summers with his family and stay at home and so on, but this isn't an ideal world. He usually has so many eyes on him and so many obligations in Japan. Personally, I think he feels more comfortable in Toronto by now, anyway, simply because in Toronto he can breathe a little and not be THE Yuzuru Hanyu 24/7.

And even that aside, COVID-19 restrictions are not an excuse for a holiday. Even if most people stay at home with their loved ones, it's not a holiday, it's a siege. Comfort is not the top priority, safety is. And nothing is safer now than being a hermit with as few contacts as possible, which is what he is in Toronto.

And also, it's not like he doesn't have things to do. There are games, there are his studies, just imagine how much he can study and how much he can think about skating now, with no real time restrictions. How much music he can consider and choreography and so on. I'm sure he'll get the itch, too, from being cooped up with no chance to practice, but he's a smart boy. He knows there are bigger things than skating going on in the world now, so he'll grit his teeth and find ways to occupy his time. Just like all of us.

(Personally, I think my biggest regret for this Summer is Yuzu not getting to to be the one to light the Olympic Flame :1: I wanted that really badly, but now I just want him to stay away and stay safe, even if they offer it to him. Maybe if they postpone he can do it at the new date...)

2 minutes ago, Paskud said:

What if we will have second wave in autumn?😥

Dear God, I hope not. I just read that Hong Kong is now experiencing a new wave of infections brought on by Hong Kong expats returning home after some of the restrictions in the city eased, because they thought they had got through it okay and were in the clear. Now HK will be banning all non-residents as of Wednesday AND international flights will not be allowed to connect through HK. 

Meanwhile, in my city, we now have community spread and a Chief Public Health officer who thinks simply appealing to people's better nature over Facebook will be enough, when public health should be bloody going door-to-door with information packages and quarantine orders, making sure every last man, woman and child in this city knows to stay home. 

The more this goes on, the more I don't understand the hesitation of the civil authorities to impose and order measures that will ensure people's safety. It's all half-measures and recommendations and assurances that the economy will be looked after and essential trade can continue. Feh. 

15 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Canadian skaters might be free to travel but getting back to the country might be another story. There's been news item after news item about Canadians getting stranded overseas as airlines shut down. if I were in their shoes, I'd stay put at home right now.

Thanks for the update. I admit I haven't followed restrictions for Canada after Montreal settled. I don't think anyone is truly willing to travel now. Way too many unknowns.

14 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Bruh, ice shows. I wonder if even GP will start. What if we will have second wave in autumn?😥

That, too... By next Spring, there will hopefully be a vaccine, but until then anything is possible. That's why the rest of this year looks pretty bleak IMO. Many people hope it'll be better in the Summer because it'll be warm and generally coronaviruses  don't like warm weather. But there have been outbreaks in warm areas, too, most recently spring breakers from Florida, so it doesn't look very positive. I think for now we just have to take it a step at a time, hope for the best, but be cautious. It's why I decided not to invest money in planning for FaOI, although I want to go so badly again. I just can't see it happening or at least can't see it being safe enough to travel.