General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, river said:

I believe he’s said before that he, like all athletes, tries to eat healthy, but does occasionally have a less healthy snack. There’s too much footage of him eating the bars of Ghana chocolate on set for him to have a chocolate allergy. He is allergic to alcohol, however.

Edit: plus the GPF “flowers.” Based on how excited he looked when he realized what they were made from, I’m guessing he really likes chocolate...

Thank you for all the answers!

I didn't think of an allergy to chocolate, because if you have an allergy, normally you won't have even a tiny bit of it, but I "feared" an intolerance. With an intolerance you can have a mouthful to be polite.

GPF flowers were of chocolate? I thought marshmallow.

And I suppose he doesn't have a real allergy to alcohol, just he can't digest it, or he was informed before the interview that there was no alcohol in the cakes? I wonder if he can have dishes with cooked wine or brandy etc, it is so delicious, and all the alcohol evaporates... Sometimes I think I couldn't cook without, while I drink so little wine, but then, it is not very Japanese. (But I do pour a drop in some Asian dishes.)

I think there have already been debate about his parallel between programs maturity and cheese and wine? Was it totally without personal experience? (Though in Canada it may not be that impressive? Though in Toronto there may be really great restaurants.)

4 hours ago, Fay said:

I guess it would be possible, but anyway, I have a subscription for a month now, so we could have something within this month. I will see how it goes after this. 

zoom can hold video conferences where there is 1 speaker and everyone else just listens in (not like traditional classroom where everyone has their video on and can speak into the room). my company does that with thousands of participants and it doesn't get slow (mostly because everyone except the broadcaster is just streaming). i think we can try that? there's video and audio sharing as well! thoughts?

eta: nvm i think that's the 'webinar' option and it costs $40 extra per month on top of a pro plan.

22 hours ago, yuzublaze said:

Here's a spam of some throwback photos of Nam and the TCC bois from way back when c':

BABIES. They are so little in those first pictures! Hard to believe Yuzu was already an Olympic champion and Nam was already competing at the senior level. 

2 hours ago, Dreamer said:

I watched a video where he said he snacked on chocolates while studying for 'brainfood'; can't remember which video.  

I'm sure I've also seen something where he said he'll sometimes eat chocolate or something as a quick way to replenish calories. Maybe while waiting for 'real' food to be ready? I used to keep pieces of chocolate in the freezer to suck on while I waited for dinner after getting home from particularly exhausting swimming training sessions as a teenager. 

I wonder if the alcohol allergy is actually a reaction to sulphites? I think that's a bit more common and I am also sure that Ghana chocolate, like most chocolate, contains essences (the ingredients list 'artificial flavours', so my mind goes immediately to alcohol based ones like vanilla essence). And while not much is used, not much of anything is needed for an allergic reaction which is why there are 'may contain traces of..." warnings on labels of things that might possibly have cross-contamination way back down the line. 

4 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Yuzuru Hanyu's diet?

I feel too curious, but I understand asthma can be related with allergies, and I wondered if Yuzuru Hanyu had already mentioned he had some?

And in this interview (Kobe 2015), he eats only a little bit of each cake; Nobunari Oda no more, but we can see he is upset ;-) and Shoma Uno too shy.

Are there things he cannot eat? He says he doesn't eat much chocolate cake, I hope he can eat chocolate at least? Shortcakes, if he means shortbread, dont contain eggs, and usually butter, no cream, and many people intolerant to milk can have butter?

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30nkyg

In fact I wonder if he already said something about it.

I suppose every top athlete anyway, must have a diet with lots of carbohydrates with carefully determined glycemic index to deliver energy during practice and competition, a good deal of chosen proteins to build and rebuild muscle, and very little fat?

I also remember he has the tendency of not eating food items with *rich* flavors, he tends to simpler, delicate tasting food (to go with the cake example, he prefers strawberry shortcake to chocolate cake because chocolate cake tastes so rich and intense compared to strawberry shortcake that said, Yuzu definitely doesn't mind chocolate  at all 😏 ). It has more to do with personal preferences to dietary limitations due to health reasons :think:.

What I also remember of Yuzu's alcohol intolerance was that alcohol makes his skin dry, and he decided to not consume it after finding out about this.

Regarding alcohol, it's been debated before and it's hard to reach a conclusion because the information Yuzu has given isn't much. He's said it himself that he doesn't drink alcohol, because he's allergic to it (Asaichi interview). And he said that it's because when he had his surgery, they had to lose a lot of rubbing alcohol and he broke out in hives, IIRC. The debate started because rubbing alcohol is different than drinking alcohol, but maybe there's more to it than Yuzu has said. It's also possible he has low alcohol tolerance, and saying he's allergic is an easy way to get out of social situations where he would be expected to drink. (Japanese adults are generally expected to drink, at least a beer, at least some sake, at least something, and claiming allergies would be an easy way to get out of that.) I do remember he brought it up in the Sekkisei talk show thing last Summer again, but it was more along the lines of Sekkisei products don't have alcohol, so it's good for him, because he's allergic, or something like that, I think.

About other foods, he has admitted that he's very picky and has little appetite, regularly. I recently stumbled upon some fan comments that claimed it was revealed he actually had a condition that was to blame for this - and not just that he was fussy - but that he got a nutritionist's help and they found solutions for it and now he eats normally, HOWEVER, I don't think there was any source for this info, so take it with a grain of salt. He has admitted to eating chips and McDonald's at times (Yuzu, try KFC, rather, it's much tastier :P) and he was seen drinking Cola at the airport in Moscow, in a documentary, after Rostelecom 2017, but he takes the tiniest of tiny sips lol (I'd have chugged half the can, tbh). Most of the time, at competitions, he eats what Ajinomoto staff cooks for him, and they are very careful to make stuff he is comfortable eating and that helps by providing all the nutrients he needs.

One thing I do remember is that, I think around GPF 2016, his team found out he had a very slow metabolism, so eating before competitions left him super full and he couldn't perform properly, because his system was very slow to digest the food. So after that they changed his habits and I think they said he wouldn't eat until after skating? Though probably later they figured out there are things he can eat before, too, that aren't so bad, because Ajinomoto always has three meals a day prepared for him, IIRC. They did have some stuff last year, where they revealed what they made for him during each day of competition, but I don't remember where it was.

So, aside from alcohol - which, like I said, is a common debate among fans - I don't think he has other food allergies - or at least not that we know of - but he probably does have things he processes more easily than others and is probably still somewhat picky about taste. Then again that also changes... there was a time he said he doesn't eat fat things or things fried in oil, and then he also said he loves karaage and things fried in oil lol And I think he has said he's trying to overcome he's aversion to paprika lol Generally, he likes his mother's cooking more than anything. I'm not sure about liking more delicate tasting things, because those concoctions he's made for the Ghana Hot Chocolate clips are anything but delicate lol Although I generally find Ghana to be more delicate tasting than other milk chocolate, so maybe there's something to it after all.

About other allergies, I think he also developed an allergy to one of the antibiotics he was given after his surgery. And generally, given his asthma and apparently a more fragile body - just thinking about all the times when the recovery times for injuries or the surgery initially given ended up being way off compared to the time he actually needed to fully recover - it's not unlikely he is prone to allergies. But he rarely speaks about them, because he doesn't want it to seem like he's making excuses. I still wonder if we'll ever know whether he really did have an asthma attack before JNats or not. And who knows how many others there might have been that we didn't know about and might never know. Surely nobody could have ever guessed he had an asthma attack two weeks before Helsinki Worlds if they hadn't revealed it as part of that year's 24HTV.

7 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

zoom can hold video conferences where there is 1 speaker and everyone else just listens in (not like traditional classroom where everyone has their video on and can speak into the room). my company does that with thousands of participants and it doesn't get slow (mostly because everyone except the broadcaster is just streaming). i think we can try that? there's video and audio sharing as well! thoughts?

eta: nvm i think that's the 'webinar' option and it costs $40 extra per month on top of a pro plan.

I can mute everyone and my capacity is 100 people. And as long as I am sharing something, no one is going to be able to share anyway. 
Ok, we should probably make a thread about this. But later - I have an awful lot of online classes today. 

I'm a bit late to the alcohol discussion, but many East Asians (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) have a variant form of the enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) that converts alcohol (ethanol) to acetaldehyde (which is toxic); it is more efficient, so more acetaldehyde is accumulated in a shorter time, which causes flushing, etc. The acetaldehyde is then broken down by another enzyme (acetaldehyde dehydrogenase), so if this enzyme is also the less active genetic variant, you have a "double whammy", and can't drink much if any alcohol at all.

Okay, enough biochemistry:rolleye0008:.  Back to practical real life, neither my Japanese husband nor my son and daughter (Japanese/Chinese) can drink much alcohol at all---it's not a pleasant experience:disappointed:! Fortunately, even though there is a lot of pressure to drink with your co-workers, there is less stigma to refusing to do so now and you can always drink one of the zero alcohol beers (actually about 0.5%) or volunteer to be the designated driver!

And for me, who has asthma, if I drink anything, I start to have a wheezing attack :animated-smileys-embarrassed-23:, in addition to turning super red! Don't know if this affects Yuzu this way, but it is a possibility.

Of course we may never know for sure anything about Yuzuru`s condition and hardships he has been going through many times because he chooses to be so pivate and discreet, but I bet all my money he really ahd an asthma attack at JNats last year. He looked so much in pain and powerless, nothing like him!

Regarding Yuzu and food: the only thing I know for sure is that Nobu has said Yuzu has a very light appetite, and that Nobu has never seen him eat fried food. Also that at Skate Canada international in Lethbridge, in 2015, he and Daisuke Murakami had a hard time eating the banquet because it was nearly all too oily and greasy for them. (As per one of Daisuke's YouTube videos). 

So I would guess that Yuzu has a pretty healthy but simple diet overall.

47 minutes ago, IULIANA said:

Of course we may never know for sure anything about Yuzuru`s condition and hardships he has been going through many times because he chooses to be so pivate and discreet, but I bet all my money he really ahd an asthma attack at JNats last year. He looked so much in pain and powerless, nothing like him!

If it wasn't asthma, it was definitely something else then. There's no way he was okay at JNats.