General Yuzuru Chat

18 minutes ago, Fay said:

I did suggest we watch it together, didn’t I? If we could set up KAST or Zoom, I have CBC men on my hard disk... :P 

mind you, what with working from home, I have considerably less free time, though

I guess I missed your suggestion - didn't see it. And I don't know if I'm equipped. My laptop is still Windows 7, for example. 

Plus, I tried my first Zoom call yesterday and the stream started to slow down and die around the 30-minute mark. Might be problematic for longer events

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

This is extra ridiculous. According to ISU's own definition MVS it's literally the only award that can be measured and justified by numbers at all. Biggest fanbase, most klicks, likes and views on SM and YT, highest search score, endorsements... yeah pretty much everything that ESPN puts into account when they create their 100 rankings. And I don't see any other figure skater in that list except Yuzu.

I'm really curious how they wanted to explain/justify that decision (if it's true)...

I'm curious, too, but it's unsubstantiated s it's tough to know what's what.  You'd think the ISU would still release a list of the "winners".

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Get a VPN for Canada and then you can watch everything online. CBC is streaming this online right now. 

I have a VPN - I think I'm presently in Germany. But I missed the live stuff because I was OUTSIDE! No where near an actual human being, but the dog enjoyed it.

Just now, barbara said:

I'm curious, too, but it's unsubstantiated s it's tough to know what's what.  You'd think the ISU would still release a list of the "winners".

No fun announcing them like this - it won’t attract new viewers. That was the only reason why the whole circus was set up. 

33 minutes ago, Fay said:

No fun announcing them like this - it won’t attract new viewers. That was the only reason why the whole circus was set up. 

Plus Skate Canada desperate attempt to save figure skating in Canada and invite their retired champions to worlds. With a red carpet, no less.

3 hours ago, barbara said:

Gotta love baby Nam in this, too.

Always love some baby Nam. I still get moments of shock seeing him now vs before because like, when did he grow up? It happened so smoothly that it's a jolt to the system to look back. Same can be said for Yuzu (that Sochi baby face gets me every time, let alone his debut senior season or anything from his junior career) I guess, but I think the difference with baby Nam and man Nam is much more stark. 

32 minutes ago, memae said:

Always love some baby Nam. I still get moments of shock seeing him now vs before because like, when did he grow up? It happened so smoothly that it's a jolt to the system to look back. Same can be said for Yuzu (that Sochi baby face gets me every time, let alone his debut senior season or anything from his junior career) I guess, but I think the difference with baby Nam and man Nam is much more stark. 

I agree - Yuzu still looks quite a bit like he did when he was 18 or 19.  A bit more angular as he's matured. But Nam almost looks like a different guy.

2 hours ago, barbara said:

I agree - Yuzu still looks quite a bit like he did when he was 18 or 19.  A bit more angular as he's matured. But Nam almost looks like a different guy.

Nam's also a lot taller than his baby version, whereas Yuzu didn't grow quite so much.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Nam's also a lot taller than his baby version, whereas Yuzu didn't grow quite so much.

IIRC, Yuzu had a big growth spurt in his first years of puberty, when he suddenly ended up towering over his peers (there were some videos of his rivalry with Ryuju and in one year they were the same height, in the next one, Yuzu was quite a bit taller), but after that his growing seems to have been fairly steady, without any sudden shooting up in height. Which was probably very good for his jumps. Although I think there were people who said he grew quite a bit even in the Summer before becoming a senior (I'm sure I've seen comments that he looked taller in NHK '10 than he'd looked at Junior Worlds). Then again, Yuzu's not as tall as Nam, so Nam did need a more sudden growth spurt to reach that height lol Most figure skaters are quite short, though...especially single skaters. I was really surprised the first time I saw Javi and Jeff, for example, with normal shoes and they were barely any taller than me. Not tall and SO slim... The waists on those guys... (I think if I ever saw Yuzu's up close, my eyes would pop out, given how amazing the other guys looked already) But I digress lol

I'd say this is one way in which nature favored Yuzu, because if he'd had a big growth spurt in his mid teens, it probably would have affected him quite a lot. Though now I wonder, if he did grow a few cms the Summer of 2010, maybe that played a part in his struggling with learning 4T at that time...

4 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

IIRC, Yuzu had a big growth spurt in his first years of puberty, when he suddenly ended up towering over his peers (there were some videos of his rivalry with Ryuju and in one year they were the same height, in the next one, Yuzu was quite a bit taller), but after that his growing seems to have been fairly steady, without any sudden shooting up in height. Which was probably very good for his jumps. Although I think there were people who said he grew quite a bit even in the Summer before becoming a senior (I'm sure I've seen comments that he looked taller in NHK '10 than he'd looked at Junior Worlds). Then again, Yuzu's not as tall as Nam, so Nam did need a more sudden growth spurt to reach that height lol Most figure skaters are quite short, though...especially single skaters. I was really surprised the first time I saw Javi and Jeff, for example, with normal shoes and they were barely any taller than me. Not tall and SO slim... The waists on those guys... (I think if I ever saw Yuzu's up close, my eyes would pop out, given how amazing the other guys looked already) But I digress lol

I'd say this is one way in which nature favored Yuzu, because if he'd had a big growth spurt in his mid teens, it probably would have affected him quite a lot. Though now I wonder, if he did grow a few cms the Summer of 2010, maybe that played a part in his struggling with learning 4T at that time...

There is no question that his overall slimness benefits him.  The straight up and down no curve thing is why the little Russian girls can do some of the jumps they do and why it's such an adjustment for them when they mature and have curves.  And he didn't have to go through those really wild growth spurts like Jun did.  Or Roman.  I believe that Yuzu is taller than the average Japanese man, but there are so many differences from one end of the country to the other...