General Yuzuru Chat

PC Chopin :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

By the way, there is still no announcement on Stars on Ice in Yokohama and Hachinohe.

https://figureskate-soi.com/kg/index.html

Lots of events in Yokohama around 3-4 April have been cancelled although it is rather calm in Japan now without noticeable panics except the shortage of masks and sanitizer.

As for Hachinohe, no infection cases have been confirmed in Aomori Prefecture (where Hachinohe is located).

I'm so worried as I have a ticket of April 11 in Yokohama.   In the first place, will the skaters abroad including Yuzuru be able to come to Japan?

Even if they can, will they be able to perform without quarantine?  And again will they be able to go back home without quarantine in their countries?

https://figureskate-soi.com/skaters.html

I might have to give up the miracle happened to me after years :tumblr_inline_n18qr8XewT1qid2nw:

OK, then, I have the right to buy a ticket of FaOI Makuhari in May this year.  I applied to the pre-order lottery before any skaters were announced (brave me), and I won it as maybe there was less severe battle at that time.  I hope the situation will be better by then, honestly.   Stay safe, everyone.  Wash your hands as many times as possible, wear a mask if possible, and avoid touching your face with dirty fingers especially mouth, nose and eyes :smartass: 

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/10900000/000608425.pdf

This is Brian's interview by a magazine "AERA" published this week, it seems it was given after 4CC. (other translations are welcomed :))

https://dot.asahi.com/aera/2020031800017.html?page=1

https://dot.asahi.com/aera/2020031900017.html?page=1

── By winning in 4CC, Yuzuru Hanyu (25) has achieved Super Slam which owns the titles of all major competitions in both Senior and Junior stage including the Olympics and WC.

I'm happy for him. It was the title Yuzuru had always wanted. This season, he won the first competition of the season, won SC for the first time, and he had the first victory in 4CC while being on a roll. I think Japanese nationals became a turning point. The moment he returned to the rink side after his free program, Yuzuru said "I am tired". I felt that it was not that he was tired from four minutes program, but that he was tired from the days he had been running for the last eight years. His spirit of fighting while retaining the title of two Olympic champions, two world champions and many more game is immeasurable. He missed the title at Japanese nationals, but I was rather relieved and finally felt that we could settle down and get a fresh start.

──NHK, Grand Prix Final, Japanese nationals, did these continuous competitions become a burden for him?

If typical Yuzuru in continuous competitions, his adrenaline gradually comes out and picking up the momentum. However, this time, there were many trips to Japan, Canada, Italy and Japan again, and the coach who was scheduled to be at the GPF was not able to arrive in time due to the accident, and that unexpected drama called the absence of the coach was added, which made him tired mentally. What Yuzuru needed was to calm down and return to the usual environment, more than recovering physically.

──What was the process of returning to Pyeongchang Olympics season programs? 

At the beginning of new year, the coaches heard from Yuzuru that he would bring back old programs and we all agreed. Immediately we called the choreographer, Shae-Lynn Bourne, and asked her to renew the program from 4 and a half minutes length to 4 minutes (since performance time was shortened in the last season). Since she had a work to brush up the program of his team mate, JunHwan Cha, she made the time and came to the rink very soon for us.

──What was your impression of seeing Ballad No. 1 and SEIMEI for the first time in two years?

In a word, I felt, "This is true Yuzuru Hanyu." Of course, it is not that I didn't like the programs he had used since last season, but it was tribute after all. Sometimes the respect for someone can lead to less self-assertion. I was thrilled to see programs in which Yuzu could talk about himself and express his heart. Soon after bringing back the programs, I was relieved to see him happily skating, and after a week, the dignity began to seep out and I was impressed.

──The fans were also looking forward to the programs again.

In the official practice in Seoul, when Yuzuru made a pose without playing music, the audience knew which pose it was and they applauded. It expands the imagination of the viewer and makes the invisible parts even visible. That is how it is with masterpieces.

──Yuzuru's jump layout of free program at 4CC consisted of 4 quads in 3 types.

Originally, the plan was to not include 4Lo. Of course, I don't think this jump configuration is his technical limit. The strategy was to consider that finishing without injury was more important than anything else. Nathan Chen (20) from the United States also reduced the number of quad to 4 in free program at 4CC.

──Yuzuru's 4Lz was revived this season.

He was injured in 2017, but since he has resumed training 4Lz this season, I can say that it has improved technically because he does it at higher quality than he did two years ago. I think he was scared when he restarted it, but he got over that stage. In the past, he could only do it on good days, but now he is on the stage that he can adjust to do it in any condition.

──How about 4A?

Yuzuru did it in front of everyone for the first time in the practice at GPF. Moreover, he watched for a chance that the coach was not there (laughs). When I heard the news, I was not surprised at all. That was possible if I thought about Yuzuru's character. He often holds “theater”, he tries new things even when his feelings are rising at the finale of the ice shows. But at that time, it was not a very good jump and it was a fall. I have an impression that 4A in the practice in Toronto is closer (to success).

──What does he need technically a little more (for 4A)?

The biggest task for him is that his 3A and 4A have to be slightly different in terms of the way he jumps. In other words, he has to learn and find tips as a different jump. His 3A has a large amount of floating time from jumping up to the start of rotation. An incredibly beautiful jump. But to make four and a half rotations, he has to start rotating as soon as he jumps up.

──How about him jumping bigger and extend the floating time?

It doesn't work like that. Yuzuru's 3A is a type of large jump, so he doesn't need any more height. If he attempts to raise the height depending on the muscle strength, the rotation will be delayed. All he needs to do is to start rotating quicker after jumping up. It is difficult due to slight difference in sense at take-off. If you start rotating early, you will not be able to keep the height or your posture will be distorted. He has been adjusting it little by little. Yuzuru already knows that "the answer is around here". There is the answer in his body, so we are at the stage that I don't need to speak out anymore.

──What is the strategy for his future games?

For Yuzuru, perfect performance with five quads is one goal, and he also wants to land 4A. However, what I stick to as a coach is the quality. Skaters want to play a "game" which they compete for the number of jumps. Especially when the rival, Chen, appears in front of you, you will want to do a lot of jumps. But the essence of figure skating is "quality, not number." Yuzuru has the ultimate beauty of "powerful but effortless skating," so taking advantage of himself is the strongest strategy. My mission is to keep saying, "Quality is more important" to the extent that he gets fed up with me.

──This is the 8th season in a team. What evolution has Hanyu achieved?

For me, Yuzuru remains the same as a 17-year-old boy who came to Toronto eight years ago. But in the last eight years, the eyes of outside have changed. He became a celebrity, has obligations to fulfill, and always wants to keep his fans happy. In other words, the sense of responsibility has changed. That's why we, as a home, value "same as usual" so that he doesn't forget the love for skating and he can enjoy it. Yuzuru turned 25 and became a skater everyone respects. There is the intrinsic beauty of skating, not just jumping. I want him to keep telling, "My skate is beautiful."

This has been an interesting week, especially with the Yuzuru Award happening in the background. As one of the fanyus who had tickets for the WC, I've found myself mentally marking the days: "Today, I would have seen him in practice ... today,  I would have seen Chopin" ... etc.

Of course, all those thoughts came with surges of bittersweet emotion, but I find that, "Today I would have seen Seimei," is qualitatively different. Chopin is a sublime program (as is H&L), and I recognize that the Hanyu Award was about specific performances, so I have no quarrel with the outcome of the voting. But the chance to see Seimei live feels like more than a chance to see an extraordinary and beloved piece of art. It feels like the chance to witness something that transcends normal categories, something almost holy. If skating had "World Heritage Programs," it would be one. 

I was privileged to see Swanyu live in Torino, and I started crying before he struck his opening pose. (Actually, because I had "peeked" and knew what he was going to skate, I started crying at least five minutes before he appeared, and had to hide my tears so I wouldn't spoil the surprise for the fanyus sitting next to me!) But as much as I adore that program, for me Seimei is something more: THE quintessential Yuzuru Hanyu program. It, more than any other program, is HIM. 

Although I missed the chance to see Seimei in competition, I'm confident that -- after the purgatory of skating tributes and the realization that expressing his essence is why he skates -- we will see two very "Yuzu" programs next season. So, as I feel the melancholy of NOT seeing Seimei today, I'm holding onto that thought. 

:cri:

1 hour ago, ZuCritter said:

for me Seimei is something more: THE quintessential Yuzuru Hanyu program. It, more than any other program, is HIM.

Yes, but only WITH backward crossrolls.

ANY RULEBOOK ON THIS PLANET THAT FORCES YUZURU HANYU TO TAKE OUT THE HOLY BACKWARD CROSSROLLS FOR THE SAKE OF POINTS AND LEVELS, SHOULD BE BURNED TO ASHES.  :fire:

On 3/20/2020 at 12:58 AM, sweetwater said:

It is Hanyu family's crest. (confirmed in the Sponichi article you mentioned) It looks like Maru ni mitumori Kikkou ni Hanabishi, but since neither Yuzu nor his family has talked about it, there is no way of confirming it.

Patterns of Kikkou and Hanabishi are both very old and have been used in multiple countries. As you wrote, Kikkou is a design based upon turtle shells. In Japan, it has been used since the Asuka era as one of the auspicious patterns because the turtle has been a symbol of long life. Hanabishi has its origin in China. The design is based upon water chestnuts and had been used for clothes and furnishings for aristocrats in the Heian era.

Crests sometimes indicate the roots of the family. However, in the Edo era, one could use whatever crest they liked unless it was used by a samurai of higher rank. Some used existing crests, some arranged them, and some created their own to represent themselves, bring luck to them, etc. So the similarity in crests doesn't necessarily indicate the connection between wearers.

Thank you so much!

This is a very complete answer.

I wasn't expecting any relationship between families of similar crest, because in Europe too, though similar crests may sometimes mean related families, most often families with similar crests have no particular relationship, or a branch of a family can change crest completely.

Also, I often read (not from you) that "unlike in Europe", in Japan every family could have a crest, I don't know for other countries but in France, everybody could have a crest — except the crests already used by others, and strangely, this rule is still in force, with sometimes trials. Just, in fact only nobility/noble gentry, high clergy (these two had to) and some traders or non-noble gentry (these by choice) did have crests. Others would use merely their name and surname, sometimes a name of origin, though they could have taken a crest.

6 hours ago, yude said:

This is Brian's interview by a magazine "AERA" published this week, it seems it was given after 4CC. (other translations are welcomed :))

── By winning in 4CC, Yuzuru Hanyu (25) has achieved Super Slam which owns the titles of all major competitions in both Senior and Junior stage including the Olympics and WC.

I'm happy for him. It was the title Yuzuru had always wanted. This season, he won the first competition of the season, won SC for the first time, and he had the first victory in 4CC while being on a roll. I think Japanese nationals became a turning point. The moment he returned to the rink side after his free program, Yuzuru said "I am tired". I felt that it was not that he was tired from four minutes program, but that he was tired from the days he had been running for the last eight years. His spirit of fighting while retaining the title of two Olympic champions, two world champions and many more game is immeasurable. He missed the title at Japanese nationals, but I was rather relieved and finally felt that we could settle down and get a fresh start.

──NHK, Grand Prix Final, Japanese nationals, did these continuous competitions become a burden for him?

If typical Yuzuru in continuous competitions, his adrenaline gradually comes out and picking up the momentum. However, this time, there were many trips to Japan, Canada, Italy and Japan again, and the coach who was scheduled to be at the GPF was not able to arrive in time due to the accident, and that unexpected drama called the absence of the coach was added, which made him tired mentally. What Yuzuru needed was to calm down and return to the usual environment, more than recovering physically.

At the beginning of new year, the coaches heard from Yuzuru that he would bring back old programs and we all agreed. Immediately we called the choreographer, Shae-Lynn Bourne, and asked her to renew the program from 4 and a half minutes length to 4 minutes (since performance time was shortened in the last season). Since she had a work to brush up the program of his team mate, JunHwan Cha, she made the time and came to the rink very soon for us.

──What was your impression of seeing Ballad No. 1 and SEIMEI for the first time in two years?

In a word, I felt, "This is true Yuzuru Hanyu." Of course, it is not that I didn't like the programs he had used since last season, but it was tribute after all. Sometimes the respect for someone can lead to less self-assertion. I was thrilled to see programs in which Yuzu could talk about himself and express his heart. Soon after bringing back the programs, I was relieved to see him happily skating, and after a week, the dignity began to seep out and I was impressed.

In the official practice in Seoul, when Yuzuru made a pose without playing music, the audience knew which pose it was and they applauded. It expands the imagination of the viewer and makes the invisible parts even visible. That is how it is with masterpieces.

Originally, the plan was to not include 4Lo. Of course, I don't think this jump configuration is his technical limit. The strategy was to consider that finishing without injury was more important than anything else. Nathan Chen (20) from the United States also reduced the number of quad to 4 in free program at 4CC.

He was injured in 2017, but since he has resumed training 4Lz this season, I can say that it has improved technically because he does it at higher quality than he did two years ago. I think he was scared when he restarted it, but he got over that stage. In the past, he could only do it on good days, but now he is on the stage that he can adjust to do it in any condition.

──How about 4A?

Yuzuru did it in front of everyone for the first time in the practice at GPF. Moreover, he watched for a chance that the coach was not there (laughs). When I heard the news, I was not surprised at all. That was possible if I thought about Yuzuru's character. He often holds “theater”, he tries new things even when his feelings are rising at the finale of the ice shows. But at that time, it was not a very good jump and it was a fall. I have an impression that 4A in the practice in Toronto is closer (to success).

The biggest task for him is that his 3A and 4A have to be slightly different in terms of the way he jumps. In other words, he has to learn and find tips as a different jump. His 3A has a large amount of floating time from jumping up to the start of rotation. An incredibly beautiful jump. But to make four and a half rotations, he has to start rotating as soon as he jumps up.

It doesn't work like that. Yuzuru's 3A is a type of large jump, so he doesn't need any more height. If he attempts to raise the height depending on the muscle strength, the rotation will be delayed. All he needs to do is to start rotating quicker after jumping up. It is difficult due to slight difference in sense at take-off. If you start rotating early, you will not be able to keep the height or your posture will be distorted. He has been adjusting it little by little. Yuzuru already knows that "the answer is around here". There is the answer in his body, so we are at the stage that I don't need to speak out anymore.

For Yuzuru, perfect performance with five quads is one goal, and he also wants to land 4A. However, what I stick to as a coach is the quality. Skaters want to play a "game" which they compete for the number of jumps. Especially when the rival, Chen, appears in front of you, you will want to do a lot of jumps. But the essence of figure skating is "quality, not number." Yuzuru has the ultimate beauty of "powerful but effortless skating," so taking advantage of himself is the strongest strategy. My mission is to keep saying, "Quality is more important" to the extent that he gets fed up with me.

For me, Yuzuru remains the same as a 17-year-old boy who came to Toronto eight years ago. But in the last eight years, the eyes of outside have changed. He became a celebrity, has obligations to fulfill, and always wants to keep his fans happy. In other words, the sense of responsibility has changed. That's why we, as a home, value "same as usual" so that he doesn't forget the love for skating and he can enjoy it. Yuzuru turned 25 and became a skater everyone respects. There is the intrinsic beauty of skating, not just jumping. I want him to keep telling, "My skate is beautiful."

I'm laughing at the mental image of Brian as a nagging mom parroting 'Quality is more important' over and over again while Yuzu rolls his eyes and flounces on to the rink saying 'Yes, Mom. Geez! I heard you the first thousand times!':LOL:

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm laughing at the mental image of Brian as a nagging mom parroting 'Quality is more important' over and over again while Yuzu rolls his eyes and flounces on to the rink saying 'Yes, Mom. Geez! I heard you the first thousand times!':LOL:

Sorry, I dare it. Your reflection made me think of Nikolay Tsiskaridze dancing Veuve Simone in Vain Precautions, with his pupil/nearly daughter Anzhelina Vorontsova as Lise. The video is 1h20, nearly the whole ballet and the clog dance had a problem of tempo, but the beginning has already a good deal about the mother/grown child relationship, and reading you about Brian Orser repeating "Quality is more important", I had in head Nikolay Tsiskaridze yelling more or less the same to his students... ;-)

If the link doesn't work, the title on Youtube is "Тщетная предосторожность" Воронцова Цискаридзе.

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm a bit surprised that Brian has to remind him of that regularly tbh. I mean... How many times has Yuzu talked about his goal to become a total package skater? That the balance of technique and artistry is very important to him? That quality elements with difficult transitions are his selling point? That he doesn't want to bring a new jump in competition, until he can get positive GOE on it? I think, it's pretty hard to find an interview, where Yuzu didn't mention at least two of these things himself :laughing:

7 hours ago, yude said:

──How about 4A?

Thank you for your translation -