General Yuzuru Chat

10 hours ago, monchan said:

The last semifinal before the ultimate battle:

PC SEIMEI vs H&L vs 4CC Chopin

how did PC chopin lose?!!!!

and nope. cant choose. wont choose

eta: lmaooo silly me! Chopin made the final..duh

i used to like hope and legacy so much but now idk anymore. all 3 programs mean so much

5 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

how did PC chopin lose?!!!!

and nope. cant choose. wont choose

eta: lmaooo silly me! Chopin made the final..duh

i used to like hope and legacy so much but now idk anymore. all 3 programs mean so much

I have a gut PC Chopin will be final champion... Like it deserves but lllajdskldfj can we have additional awards for others, like silver and bronze medals (3 other programs in semifinal got into battle for bronze) :embSwan: All programs work so hard but in the end only ONE program get the spotlight :(

1 hour ago, monchan said:

I have a gut PC Chopin will be final champion... Like it deserves but lllajdskldfj can we have additional awards for others, like silver and bronze medals (3 other programs in semifinal got into battle for bronze) :embSwan: All programs work so hard but in the end only ONE program get the spotlight :(

I know that PC Chopin was performed majestically, but for me PC Seimei will always win, even with the mistakes, because of that last part. Yuzu was truly unleashed there, truly free, truly happy. I could feel his happiness through the distance and through the screen. And it was obvious right after he finished the program. Whenever he's in doubt with himself, he should see that part of the program again, to get the feeling of what happiness skating brings. I think he even mentioned in an interview that he was supposed to be grave, like Abe no Seimei, but he couldn't control himself because he was so happy.

So, not necessarily from a performance point of view, but from a feeling point of view, that program in PC is no1 for me. From a performance point of view, there are so many that I couldn't choose (might go with GPF 2016)

4 minutes ago, TallyT said:

I may be on a different time zone, but I'd love suggestions... I am already checking out mys stocks of saved videos :devilYuzu:

I wasn't thinking of anything very sophisticated. But what would you like to see? I was thinking of watching Pyongchang together, in fact, again. 

2 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Anything is great during cactus season tbh😞

btw, do top skaters ever skate two challenger series in a season and are they allowed to? 

I would like to see yuzu compete at a CS and any IC for season point accumulation purposes, but most likely he only skates at a CS

Next season is likely to be unpredictable, what with everything going on in the world. But I wouldn’t expect two Challenger competitions 

Hey guys. Just dropping this here because the views are so low ( only 569 after 2 days!), and they shouldn't be. It's the YouTube of the Yuzu interview with Scott Russell. Apparently it's geoblocked, but if you can get through, give it a view, so as to encourage the CBC to do more stuff like this.

9 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

From 6:19 to 6:24, we can see Yuzuru Hanyu's kamon/mon.

Do you think it is a personal one, or his family's? It looks a bit like the Asai clan's (extinct in 1573), but it is not the same. The Asai one (as well as the Itsukushina shrine in Hiroshima) have the three hexagons, with a four-petal flower in each. Here I don't see what is in the hexagons. Plus, it is not circled, while Yuzuru Hanyu's is circled. I have found a circled mon (still with a four-petal flower in each hexagon), it is called kiko/kikko, which seems to mean tortoise shell, and I don't know if it relates to a family — or if it is his. If it is, I feel he may have had fun dedicating ANA's A380 models, painted with tortoises. ;-)

I have no knowledge at all about Japanese heraldry (I don't even know how many petals the Imperial chrysanthemum has), and very little about European heraldry, so if anybody knew more on the matter...

8 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Certainly, he is the most able to make the best of it, and I am sure nobody panic. Yet I suppose he will need months to get his level back. Maybe less than others, but still.

About his kamon, this site doesn't tell which it is :

https://medium.com/identity-design/kamon-the-japanese-traditional-identity-design-c485018e7781

As to the three kikko with circle, here something more :

https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/戸室氏

Here is a Google translation of the paragraph :

Mr. Shibamato Muro
It is considered an old house in Shibamata, Katsushika-ku, Tokyo. The royal family, Ishiteruyama Shosh 院 in Shinko-ji Temple, has a grave from the 16th year of Genwa (1617) and an inscription from the 6th year of culture (1809). Until the Meiji era, the company was engaged in agriculture on and around the current Shibamata Taishakuten approach, but commenced commercial and residential land management in the Taisho and early Showa eras, such as rice shops, rice crackers, and tobacco shops. Has shifted from agriculture. The family crest is "3 rounds and 3 turtles, Kabishi" [9] [10] [11].

Family crest in a circle

(and on Wikimedia Common, the name of the crest is Maru ni mitumori Kikkou ni Hanabishi)

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Japanese_Crest_Maru_ni_mitumori_Kikkou_ni_Hanabishi.svg

Here, the pictures in the hexagons don't look that much like the previous ones? But in heraldry terms, are they the same or different? (Sorry for the article relating crap.)

https://aramajapan.com/news/gossip/yuzuru-hanyu-denies-dating-rumors/53762/

Edit : does the beginning of this article relate to it? I can't do anything of it with Google translation.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2018/07/02/kiji/20180702s00079000131000c.html

Edit 2 : and this paragraph from another article?

では羽生結弦選手は、成人式のために用意した紋付羽織袴から

丸に三つ盛亀甲の説が有力で、亀甲紋のバリエーションみたい。

でも丸に三つ盛亀甲花菱という説もあり

これは三つ盛亀甲紋と、花菱紋のミックスらしい。

羽生結弦 羽織袴 家庭画報

もし花菱紋なら勝海舟もらしいけど

三つ盛亀甲花菱なら

滋賀の浅井長政公や、新潟の直江兼続公が有名らしい。

ただし三つ盛亀甲花菱説の花菱とは少々くせものです。

戦国時代は家紋の意匠に対する意識はルーズで

花菱だけでなく、唐花や剣花菱とか資料によってバラバラだと。

だから羽生結弦選手の家紋は、丸に三つ盛亀甲の説が無難かも!

https://bluemoon-yh.info/archives/792

It is Hanyu family's crest. (confirmed in the Sponichi article you mentioned) It looks like Maru ni mitumori Kikkou ni Hanabishi, but since neither Yuzu nor his family has talked about it, there is no way of confirming it.

Patterns of Kikkou and Hanabishi are both very old and have been used in multiple countries. As you wrote, Kikkou is a design based upon turtle shells. In Japan, it has been used since the Asuka era as one of the auspicious patterns because the turtle has been a symbol of long life. Hanabishi has its origin in China. The design is based upon water chestnuts and had been used for clothes and furnishings for aristocrats in the Heian era.

Crests sometimes indicate the roots of the family. However, in the Edo era, one could use whatever crest they liked unless it was used by a samurai of higher rank. Some used existing crests, some arranged them, and some created their own to represent themselves, bring luck to them, etc. So the similarity in crests doesn't necessarily indicate the connection between wearers.