General Yuzuru Chat

I was really happy with the CBC interview as well. Admittedly, the bar for Western Yuzu coverage is pretty low, but it was really good. My only issue is the translation of the Japanese parts which was very hit and miss. I'd like it if some of the better translators in the fandom would politely write to them and offer a more proper translation of those parts. If it's done respectfully, I think they might be open to it...

14 minutes ago, Bonesfan said:

Looking forward to listening to the CBC interview.

I'm in California and today we were ordered to "shelter-in-place" for 3 weeks. Stay at home except for food and medicine.  I've heard that non-critical surgeries have been delayed (non-critical as in a slow-growing cancerous tumor?!).

Same here (though I'll still need to work from home), hopefully everyone in the house remains safe and no one actually runs out of toilet paper around here with the way people are stocking up. Hopefully gives me a chance to sort through Yuzu videos and pas this time peacefully while wishing for everyone's safety.

7 minutes ago, mokjakarma said:

Saw a racoon on that thread and then searched the planet for racoon. What exactly happened at TCC with this racoon?

Back in summer 2017 the raccoon got into TCC and gnawed at wires or something so badly that it caused the ice to melt away and the rink had to close. The raccoon is likely to have died too. 

11 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

I think this is new :) 

for anyone who needs Yuzu content (like me)

His determination is giving me the strength I need now and also his English is amazing now!!

I was expecting a great interview and it is a fantastic interview! I love how CBC underlined Yuzu's words and other people's comments with fitting footage and soothing background music. The natural switch between English and Japanese was really nice, too. Scott picked the right questions and with his calm and friendly presence he created an atmosphere Yuzu felt comfortable with. It's great that he got the chance to talk about himself a bit and express his feelings to Canadian media. I hope, he will get more opportunities like this in the future :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

RIP Chris :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg: Such a sudden and shocking way to die. It seems there has been nothing but bad news recently...

The CBC interview with Yuzu was lovely though, I'm glad they released it. Agree that the translation could have been better though. I don't really understand why a big network like CBC would use such poor subtitles. I'm not really familiar with North American TV customs - do they perhaps think that people don't have the patience to read longer/more lines of subtitles or something like that? They left out so much detail, there were parts where Yuzu was clearly saying multiple sentences and expressing various viewpoints but the subtitle wouldn't change at all. The interview itself was very good, but they omitted a lot of nuance in the translation. I don't want to complain too much though, because it's still one of the best non-Japanese interviews of Yuzu I've seen. His embarrassed laughter at being praised was so cute :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

18 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

RIP Chris :tumblr_inline_n2pje3s3EO1qdlkyg: Such a sudden and shocking way to die. It seems there has been nothing but bad news recently...

The CBC interview with Yuzu was lovely though, I'm glad they released it. Agree that the translation could have been better though. I don't really understand why a big network like CBC would use such poor subtitles. I'm not really familiar with North American TV customs - do they perhaps think that people don't have the patience to read longer/more lines of subtitles or something like that? They left out so much detail, there were parts where Yuzu was clearly saying multiple sentences and expressing various viewpoints but the subtitle wouldn't change at all. The interview itself was very good, but they omitted a lot of nuance in the translation. I don't want to complain too much though, because it's still one of the best non-Japanese interviews of Yuzu I've seen. His embarrassed laughter at being praised was so cute :tumblr_inline_n2pje2TPZt1qdlkyg:

If you dont mind giving us a full translation here 🙏

how can you die like this?and Chris was only 30,I'm deeply sorry really...what a tragic event for his family and friends.

Lovely interview with Yuzuru but yep,even when you don't know japanese like me it is strange watching him talk for a while and getting only one line sentence back in english.

1 hour ago, makebelieveup said:

If you dont mind giving us a full translation here 🙏

Someone on twt already did, there are links on the previous page :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

//Actually I'm too tired to focus on my work so I might do a line-by-line translation anyway, I'll edit it here in a bit. Also I noticed the fsnanchara account didn't do a full translation, they just pointed out the translation was lacking.

//So here's a more detailed translation. It's still pretty rough so please forgive me for any mistakes. 

1:36-

Y: Figure skating is something you can do on your own in a huge rink, where everyone kindly focuses on watching just you. I think that's what's really special about it. In other sports, I don't think anyone pays as much attention to just one person. If I were doing another sport, I also think I could not express what I want to express to the same extent. That's why I think figure skating is really special, and why I love figure skating. 

7:00 - 

Y: A lot of people have said to me, 'I felt encouraged when I watched your skating', or that they received some kind of happiness from it, and being told things like this is what motivates me to continue skating, I think. It's what makes me want to continue skating til the end/to pursue what I've started to its conclusion. 

7:50 - 

I don't think anything about this season is particularly different from the usual. I'm being called a challenger a lot, but.. I'm always chasing after the strengths of other skaters and challenging them. So I always think of myself as a challenger, and that applies to last year's and this year's world championships too. 

8:38 - 

I find it enjoyable to try answering to people's expectations. But.. the times I'm unable to do that are very frustrating and hard. In order to achieve that goal (of fulfilling expectations), I also need to accumulate a lot of practice and training. It often feels like a struggle, but I think that if I can overcome that struggle, I may be able to give a performance that fulfils people's expectations again. Because I'm able to think this way, it's enjoyable. So for me, I think it's like my mission/duty in life, and I'd like to see that mission through to the very end. 

27 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

Can you translate the bits which got missed out?