General Yuzuru Chat

26 minutes ago, Songster01 said:

I wasn't trying to be sarcastic.  I'm sorry I worded it in a way that read like that to you.  When I wrote it I was thinking about how frustrating house prices and rents are in Toronto and not trying to shade you.  It was my sadness and anger that the prices are ballooning upwards again here.  And me wishing that, if it was being held here, that it could have been held in a neighborhood that didn't feel isolated like downtown.  But the costs would be too high.

Of course ACI can and should be held outside of Ontario and outside of the GTA again.  Certainly I thought it might move back to QC or might move over to BC next year, given that those seem to be the most active regions for higher-level training.  I think that would be a good thing for people living elsewhere in Canada to get a chance to see it without flying across the country.

All right then - it is tough to figure out tone in forum posts sometimes so i was wondering. And yes, Toronto real estate prices have become untenable.

Halifax would actually be a decent candidate for ACI. Its biggest rink is right downtown sandwiched between several hotels, prices are still reasonable, and although the airport is a fair distance out of town, you only have to take one bus to get to the part of town where the rink is. Plus it's scenic as all get out on the shores of Halifax Harbour. And if the Metro Centre is too big of a facility, the Dartmouth Sportsplex on the other side of the bridge would do nicely, and is also across the street from hotels. 

I suspect that where ACI ends up has a lot to do with the skating club at the hosting rink because it seems like Skate Oakville does an awful lot of the work in running ACI. So my guess is the local clubs have to be willing to pitch in and support the event. 

I have faith that somewhere among the 500,000 or more Chinese fanyus, not to mention the rest of us, there will be enough votes come in to sway the results in Yuzu's favour. However, the part where they have a jury making the final decisions takes away my optimism somewhat. 

I'm not really interested in that show, but I'm guessing a costume award will go to a lady skater (probably Anna lol... If  voted I would vote for Eunsoo), MVP should go to Yuzu but maybe also Sui/Han, for the program... hard to say, but I'm 90% it will NOT be Yuzu or Nathan. And, as far as I know, "lifetime achievement" will be given to some retired skater, as it should.

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I have faith that somewhere among the 500,000 or more Chinese fanyus, not to mention the rest of us, there will be enough votes come in to sway the results in Yuzu's favour. However, the part where they have a jury making the final decisions takes away my optimism somewhat. 

I think the last time I checked, Yuzu has 750K people following his Weibo page! (Probably an unofficial account)

Just now, FlyingCamel said:

I think the last time I checked, Yuzu has 750K people following his Weibo page! (Probably an unofficial account)

Somewhere in there, there's got to be people who can figure out how to vote for Yuzu early and often. :hihi:

33 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Haha, are people here following the page though? I wanted to but can’t figure out how to make a Weibo account... I think it needs your mobile number and I can’t seem to enter my Irish number

https://weibo.com/u/1826082103

The Chinese part of the internet is a mystery to me unfortunately, so I can't help. 

2 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Yuzu will get the MVP (MVS?) award, no doubt. Even the ISU knows it would be completely indefensible and laughable if he didn't, and ultimately, unlike competition results, these awards are meaningless on a sporting level, so they can gain some Fanyu brownie points for free without sacrificing anything ("why are you still complaining about his scoring? Remember, we gave him an award to show how much we appreciate him!"). He's probably won all the other ones he was up for, based on fan engagement, but they'll use their jury prerogative to redistribute those so it isn't completely lopsided and the chosen feds are represented to their satisfaction. Anna S. for costume, Nathan for program.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I saw on Japanese Tw about a recent interview with Ari Zakarian - the "brilliant" originator of the Awards - and apparently he told the interviewer that 10 out of 10 respondents were in favor of NC for MVP.   He seemed to be in no doubt that NC will win the Award.  So it's been cooked from the beginning. 

It was a translation of a translation so something may have gotten lost there - and now I can't locate the tweet anymore.  Has anyone seen this interview?  Assume the original was in Russian...

I think we should all remain calm and remember that this is a bogus award:  take the least important component of ‘value’  - monetary - that is totally in Yuzuru’s favour and anyone who doubts it can just tally up the take from his last season ( whenever that may happen) and the next.

The important components, artistry, technical ability ( in all its facets not just jumps), sportsmanship,  demonstrating a balance between the will to win and the acceptance of defeat etc etc I don’t need to argue for in this forum.