General Yuzuru Chat

11 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

The argument of dominance often seems to come up, even when discussing GOAT status - it's why some people still think Dick Button is more of a GOAT than Yuzu, because he dominated by far. The problem is... it's easy to dominate when you're the only really good skater around - or, like in Dick's case, have the means to continue training when others don't. It's much harder to dominate when you have strong rivals, BUT winning against strong rivals - especially different strong rivals - is much more impressive, IMO. (Regardless of whether they're strong skills wise or strong because of political backing.

Aye. Patrick was considered as the God of skating skills, Javi a master of performance and iconic programs and Nathan the Quad King. Three completely different strengths and Yuzu managed to beat them all on the biggest stage: the Olympics. This underlines Yuzu's complete package. If his biggest rival was an excellent spinner or a genius in transition work, Yuzu could compete with that, too. He has no weaknesses really but top quality in all departments and that puts him above the rest.

17 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

The argument of dominance often seems to come up, even when discussing GOAT status - it's why some people still think Dick Button is more of a GOAT than Yuzu, because he dominated by far. The problem is... it's easy to dominate when you're the only really good skater around - or, like in Dick's case, have the means to continue training when others don't. It's much harder to dominate when you have strong rivals, BUT winning against strong rivals - especially different strong rivals - is much more impressive, IMO. (Regardless of whether they're strong skills wise or strong because of political backing.) So the dominance aspect is always a bit meh for me. Yuzu didn't really dominate at any point, in the classical sense - except now, sort of, because the gap between him and Nathan and the rest is fairly big, but then there's Nathan... -  BUT he has been strong enough to never finish lower than 2nd over the past 6 or so years, and against different strong rivals. Which IMO is at least just as impressive as if he'd won everything by a landslide over 6 years.

Also, IIRC, Plushenko has won 7 European titles, for which there is no real equivalent Yuzu could win - 4CC isn't really the same thing, no matter what anyone says - and he also has several Worlds titles, I think? And National titles? But aside from Yagudin, I'm not sure how many strong rivals he had at the peak of his career - genuine question, as I wasn't following FS then, but aside from the stuff with Lysacek and Yagudin, I haven't really heard of other rivals for Plushenko.

IMO, what matters more, if we most compare with Plushenko, is what Plushenko himself has said (IIRC): that Yuzu is better than him. Even just because the technical level is higher at this point, but probably not just because of that.

I say this a lot about Yuzuru and how his titles have never been a given, even when he was the favourite. He has had numerous rivals throughout his career, some of whom he had to rise to overcome and others who were there chasing him. Daisuke, Patrick Chan, Denis Ten, Javi, Boyang, Nathan. His achievements are beyond comparison.

2 minutes ago, memae said:

I say this a lot about Yuzuru and how his titles have never been a given, even when he was the favourite. He has had numerous rivals throughout his career, some of whom he had to rise to overcome and others who were there chasing him. Daisuke, Patrick Chan, Denis Ten, Javi, Boyang, Nathan. His achievements are beyond comparison.

^this! In men’s figure skating for the past seasons the main rivalries have always involved Yuzu somehow - it’s always Yuzu vs one of the skaters above haha

9 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Aye. Patrick was considered as the God of skating skills, Javi a master of performance and iconic programs and Nathan the Quad King. Three completely different strengths and Yuzu managed to beat them all on the biggest stage: the Olympics. This underlines Yuzu's complete package. If his biggest rival was an excellent spinner or a genius in transition work, Yuzu could compete with that, too. He has no weaknesses really but top quality in all departments and that puts him above the rest.

Our boy is the Pooh king :winky:

Continue with Yuzuru Award

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So I was out for drinks with my coworkers tonight and found this:

https://godspeedbrewery.com/yuzu

which was listed in the menu as 'Godspeed Yuzu'.

I had two. Godspeed at Worlds, Yuzu, may you have the skate you've always wanted, and amaze us all. Again. 

Lol, the description is spot on:

Beginning as a saison and finishing as something more enigmatic, Yuzu combines Japanese citrus and Belgian yeast, with restrained hopping to create a light, lively beer accentuated by mild tartness and minerality. Yuzu is a tremendously aromatic fruit: you’ll smell the beer being poured from across the room. The combination of fruit and saison characteristics creates a dramatic nose of freshly-peeled clementines, all pith and bright orange. The acidity helps smooth and hone the minerality that gives the simple beer complexity, and allows for a crisp but memorable finish

Was going to strike through the text and make changes but too lazy. 

1 minute ago, memae said:

Lol, the description is spot on:

Was going to strike through the text and make changes but too lazy. 

Just want to add that the taste was light but distinct, delightfully refreshing, and entirely different from other beers, with no off-notes or undue bitterness to linger on the tongue and ruin the experience. Very yuzuish.