General Yuzuru Chat

On 2/28/2020 at 4:19 PM, SuzyQ said:

Oh, this may be interesting too :idea-007:

Sorry, if already posted.

She is showing more in this Feb. 26 tweet.

Seeing this makes me livid all over again about missing the warm up and all the goodies in it because of the terrible organisation at GPF.  Stood in that line for close to an hour and made it inside just in time to see them clear the ice for Boyang.

ISU...the biggest bungling old dinosaur of an organization ever...but still bellies up to the trough!!

their attempts to popularize figureskating reminds me of ' rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic'

the answer is already right in front of them...Yuzuru

7 minutes ago, Crow said:

Yeah, I just saw this, was about to post. They do say they are keeping a close eye on the developments, so I guess we have to see what happens in Canada mostly, if there isn't lots of cases showing up there I guess they continue the same.

I'm less concerned about people potentially catching the virus in Canada (there's only one diagnosed case in Montreal so far, I believe, so chances are low) and more worried about a huge international gathering causing it to *take off* in Canada. Almost 200 athletes, their teams, officials, all the workers and volunteers, media from each country, and space in the Bell Centre for 21,000. Not all of that space will be filled but it's still a lot of people and a lot of unknowns. :idk:

If they cancelled Worlds, I would say wow, probably the first smart decision the ISU has made all season. Cautious, but smart. But we'll see what happens. They're obviously sinking more money than usual into this event and they won't want to lose it.

14 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

I'm less concerned about people potentially catching the virus in Canada (there's only one diagnosed case in Montreal so far, I believe, so chances are low) and more worried about a huge international gathering causing it to *take off* in Canada. Almost 200 athletes, their teams, officials, all the workers and volunteers, media from each country, and space in the Bell Centre for 21,000. Not all of that space will be filled but it's still a lot of people and a lot of unknowns. :idk:

If they cancelled Worlds, I would say wow, probably the first smart decision the ISU has made all season. Cautious, but smart. But we'll see what happens. They're obviously sinking more money than usual into this event and they won't want to lose it.

We saw in Seoul that nothing such happened. And it was three weeks ago, so now we can be nearly sure.

33 minutes ago, fyere0 said:

For sure, but from what they've said there you can see they are considering the circumstances of the place where the event takes place and not the risk of having big international event itself.

On the virus and its effects on Worlds I think they will proceed.  Remember the audience at 4CC was almost universally masked.  Finding a person in the stands without a mask was a very difficult task.  4CC set the precedent so I think we'll see masked hordes at Worlds.  I realize that the masks really don't protect one against the virus but they do keep those with it from spreading it to others through their coughing and sneezing.  So if everybody is masked the proceedings should go forward as planned.

As far as Yuzu, I'm quite sure they've kept him wrapped up in every protection they can implement.  One thing we should be thankful for is that Yuzu doesn't need to fly to get there.  Montreal is within easy driving distance of Toronto (roughly six hours and no jet lag) so his travel to there can be as protected as possible.

I am getting testfitted for N95 mask this Tues...so I will just keep the sample and maybe beg for 1 spare....one for each flight taken to and from Worlds.  Otherwise, no masks available for sale here either. N95 is good for 8 hrs of continuous use.  The main thing with these masks is that you need a good fit and you also have to put them on and take them off properly to get any protection.  If everyone around you is masked and using good hygiene, we are probably safer than in most other crowd situations

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

As far as Yuzu, I'm quite sure they've kept him wrapped up in every protection they can implement.  One thing we should be thankful for is that Yuzu doesn't need to fly to get there.  Montreal is within easy driving distance of Toronto (roughly six hours and no jet lag) so his travel to there can be as protected as possible.

Ah, I didn't even think about Yuzu having asthma and being likely more susceptible to it... 

5 hours ago, Dreamer said:

ISU...the biggest bungling old dinosaur of an organization ever...but still bellies up to the trough!!

their attempts to popularize figureskating reminds me of ' rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic'

the answer is already right in front of them...Yuzuru

Yeah. Or, more generally, the Japanese skaters as a group, because they're all very appealing skaters and do good things on the ice. And the Japanese audience is already huge. I've been thinking for a while now that when they say ' raise the popularity of figure skating', what they really mean is 'find the magic formula that will bring European/Western audiences back to the fold' , and that doesn't sit well with me at all. 

And if they're looking for untapped market share, then by logic they should be looking at ways to expand the audience for figure-skating in South America, Africa, South Asia  and the Arab world. 

Something about the whole enterprise makes me question the motivation behind it. 

With the size of the Japanese figure skating fan base and the amount of excellent Japanese figure skaters in recent years, why doesn’t Japan have more sway with the ISU? Japanese skaters seem like they’ve been more successful than American skaters in the past few years, and Japan certainly has a larger FS fan base, but seems to have less power?

(Side note that I’m a pretty new figure skating fan so I might be totally off base here)

10 minutes ago, azelais said:

With the size of the Japanese figure skating fan base and the amount of excellent Japanese figure skaters in recent years, why doesn’t Japan have more sway with the ISU? Japanese skaters seem like they’ve been more successful than American skaters in the past few years, and Japan certainly has a larger FS fan base, but seems to have less power?

(Side note that I’m a pretty new figure skating fan so I might be totally off base here)

I'm sure it's like any other large volunteer organization - a matter of schmoozing and politicking, and as far as I can tell, anyway, JSF doesn't seem to do that.