General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

I am so happy for you, because Japanese flag has such a long history, it is not related only to a difficult period in your country's history. Every country have its difficult periods in history, some more exposed than others.

Yes, indeed, every nation /society has its own burden to bear.  It's how we take that experience and take it forward - that's what matters.  

Spoiler

I think your country has done a better job of educating and informing the next generation than mine.  The American occupational forces in Japan helped to re-build democratic institutions, for which I am grateful. But they also hindered open discussions about many pre-war era issues, because they became more concerned about fighting the communists and were willing to let the nationalists off the hook more easily.  But this is getting into sensitive political topics, so I will stop here.  

3 hours ago, memae said:

To be fair, those pants must be awful to skate in

Kurt Browning had a pair once for a routine as well, and he recently revealed in an interview that the only way he could move in them is if they oiled them up with Vaseline (on the outside of the pants), otherwise the legs would stick to each other and hinder his skating. 

:LOL:

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Kurt Browning had a pair once for a routine as well, and he recently revealed in an interview that the only way he could move in them is if they oiled them up with Vaseline, otherwise the legs would stick to each other and hinder his skating. 

:LOL:

Oh, God. We know too much now :rofl:

3 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:
  • Only on the Planet: concurrent discussions of the sins of our respective nations (and as an American, let me just say we definitely have our share) and Vaseline as a wardrobe accessory.

No wonder I love you crazy Fanyus.
:cri: :nod2:

As long as no one's upset by our choice of subject matter, it's all fair game, I say. :2thumbsup:

Re: Kamakura FM

Spoiler

It's interesting to read about everyone's thoughts on national flags because I am one of those who have mixed feelings towards their own flags. But I am not sure if the Kamakura FM incident happened purely because of one's sentiment toward the Japanese flag. The DJ sounded very left-wing-ish in his tweets and seemed to hate the national flag, but he also started retweeting well-known right-wing anti to attack Yuzu once he got flamed. (Yes, Yuzu has right-wing antis as well...)  I suspect that first, he was trying to support his friend and then trying to protect himself by making villains out of Yuzu and his fans. 

Interestingly, the former and the current member of the city council who reacted on twitter and talked to the president of the KFM were from opposing political parties. One of them is the father of a former athlete. Translation of some of his tweets: "Athletes are demanded to get results. But although they sweat blood, they have to show a smile to their fans. I've seen it as the parent of a former athlete. I think there is no reason for them to be slandered but to be respected."  "I think it is tough for an athlete to become a top athlete, and it must be tougher to stay on top, but they still deliver smiles to their fans. Kamakura FM should understand that." Another person is a cat-lover and a huge fan of Yoshiharu Habu, and as a citizen, he saw what happened at their public radio station as a problem and appealed to them to get things right.

I was sad when I saw what happened on twitter last weekend, but in the end, I felt a bit relieved to find them, non-fans reacting to slanderers like that regardless of their political beliefs. In the end, any flag, name, icon, political belief can become something horrible once something horrible or inhuman has been done for it or under it. This time, some fans were beginning to have negative feelings toward Kamakura itself, but people in Kamakura managed to alter the situation by not ignoring it as a small matter.

Spoiler

he DJ sounded very left-wing-ish in his tweets and seemed to hate the national flag, but he also started retweeting well-known right-wing anti to attack Yuzu once he got flamed. (Yes, Yuzu has right-wing antis as well...) 

-! :confused:

Well, if you have haters on both sides of the spectrum. it's usually a good sign you're doing something excellent.