General Yuzuru Chat

Not sure where to put this or if it's been mentioned yet but Satomi Ito has a figure skating costume book coming out at the end of March. I don't remember the last time I wanted a book before its release so badly. Maybe HP7. 

Apparently it's available for pre-order on Amazon Japan but I can't find it because English :( 

16 minutes ago, memae said:

Not sure where to put this or if it's been mentioned yet but apparently Satomi Ito has a figure skating costume book coming out at the end of March. I don't remember the last time I wanted a book before its release so badly. Maybe HP7. 

Yes I want that too!  It's called Figure Skating Art Costumes and costs 4620 Yen on amazon.co.jp  It's an oversized book, so maybe not that bad for an "art book"---you know the type you put on your coffee table to impress your guests :agree2:.  Just use amazon.co.jp in English and type in the English version of the title.

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

@Geo1 I don't want to take anything away from what you've said here, but I would like to clarify a definition which may have been a little lost in the shuffle:

Sports psychology is not therapy. A sports psychologist does not provide counseling in the traditional sense. The sole purpose of sports psychology is to get the athlete into a winning mindset. With that endpoint in mind, a sports psychologist will help an athlete to visualize winning performances through guided imagery, teach them relaxation techniques to control pre-event nerves, help to define and set clear performance goals, establish routines and rituals that help an athlete get their mind in the game, and so on. Sports psychologists aren't there to listen to an athlete talk about their emotional state, they're there to help identify the things the athlete is doing/thinking that either add to or take away from success.

Given that Brian is the originator of http://www.peakperformanceskating.com, a system that does exactly all those things, and based on things Yuzu has said in interviews, the chances are pretty high that he has, at the very least, benefited from using sports psychology, even if he doesn't actively consult a sports psychologist. 

But really, it's not just North American/ Western athletes that do it. Sports psychology is like having the right skates or the right nutrition - just another thing that gives you an edge over the competition. At the top levels of sport, if you're not, at the very least, practicing guided relaxation and visualization exercises, you're leaving points on the table for others to grab. Given how much Yuzu likes winning, I can't imagine him turning his back on such tools. 

So, anyway, just wanted to clarify what I was talking about there. 

I don’t want to belabor the point @rockstaryuzu, but you specifically said that there’s no doubt that Yuzu has consulted a sports psychologist. I don’t think he has consulted with a sports psychologist.

I have no doubt that Brian and others at TCC employ sports psychology in their training of the athletes, but that is different from Yuzu directly consulting a sports psychologist. 

I just wanted to clarify what I was talking about.

56 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

I don’t want to belabor the point @rockstaryuzu, but you specifically said that there’s no doubt that Yuzu has consulted a sports psychologist. I don’t think he has consulted with a sports psychologist.

I have no doubt that Brian and others at TCC employ sports psychology in their training of the athletes, but that is different from Yuzu directly consulting a sports psychologist. 

I just wanted to clarify what I was talking about.

Yes. I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I remain of the opinion that he has used a sports psychologist at some point. I just wanted to make it clear that sports psychology is not the same as clinical psychology or therapy. 

5 hours ago, memae said:

Not sure where to put this or if it's been mentioned yet but Satomi Ito has a figure skating costume book coming out at the end of March. I don't remember the last time I wanted a book before its release so badly. Maybe HP7. 

Apparently it's available for pre-order on Amazon Japan but I can't find it because English :( 

In case you haven't found it. It looks like the Amazon version has an extra cover so it's a limited edition. 

2 hours ago, amylance1215 said:

In case you haven't found it. It looks like the Amazon version has an extra cover so it's a limited edition. 

Wow, the detail work on those costumes is so gorgeous. I hope he donates them to a museum or something one day, like how Adam Rippon donated his Pyeongchang FS outfit to the Smithsonian. Would love to see them up close in person!!