General Yuzuru Chat

https://www.outsports.com/platform/amp/2009/5/15/4047820/elvis-stojko-i-dont-hate-gays?__twitter_impression=true

This comment from Stojko (2009) is wow. Just wow. I put this in spoilers, because it's a bit off-topic:

Spoiler

"I do think if you concentrate too much on the feminine side of skating, then you will lose the male crowd."

Ewn... what male crowd? A male crowd that you don't have? When I look around in figure skating venues, 99% of the audience is female, dear Elvis. If you concentrate on plain jumping and testosterone, you will lose even the female crowd and THAT will be REALLY costly. I promise.

"If you're very lyrical and you're really feminine and soft, well, that's not men's skating. THAT IS NOT MEN'S SKATING, OK? Men's skating is power, strength, masculinity, focus, clarity of movement, interpretation of music."

So, the interpretation of a music piece is not lyrical? And in ladies' skating movements are not meant to be clear and focused or what? Honestly, the amount of stupidity here is... worrying.

I really hope that Yuzu doesn't have to waste more time on this clownery of an award show than absolutely necessary. I really feel with him already... :13877886:

37 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

https://www.outsports.com/platform/amp/2009/5/15/4047820/elvis-stojko-i-dont-hate-gays?__twitter_impression=true

This comment from Stojko (2009) is wow. Just wow. I put this in spoilers, because it's a bit off-topic:

Hide contents

"I do think if you concentrate too much on the feminine side of skating, then you will lose the male crowd."

Ewn... what male crowd? A male crowd that you don't have? When I look around in figure skating venues, 99% of the audience is female, dear Elvis. If you concentrate on plain jumping and testosterone, you will lose even the female crowd and THAT will be REALLY costly. I promise.

"If you're very lyrical and you're really feminine and soft, well, that's not men's skating. THAT IS NOT MEN'S SKATING, OK? Men's skating is power, strength, masculinity, focus, clarity of movement, interpretation of music."

So, the interpretation of a music piece is not lyrical? And in ladies' skating movements are not meant to be clear and focused or what? Honestly, the amount of stupidity here is... worrying.

I really hope that Yuzu doesn't have to waste more time on this clownery of an award show than absolutely necessary. I really feel with him already... :13877886:

Yuzu can go ahead and skate Notte Stellata to his face, and get him drowned in praises for Yuzu 

16 hours ago, azelais said:

Hi! I just made an account here. Started loving Yuzu about a month ago, bought last minute tickets to worlds (could only afford men's free skate day asdjkasf), and oh god I'm in too deep. I've been lurking here for a while, but nice to meet you all! :wave:

Side note, does anyone happen to have a gif of the forward cross rolls in SEIMEI from PC or the delayed axel in Notte Stellata I could set as my profile pic? <3

Welcome to the Planet :clapclap4:

Safe haven and land of madness. You’ll be fine here :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

9 minutes ago, Salior said:

Yuzu can go ahead and skate Notte Stellata to his face, and get him drowned in praises for Yuzu 

This would well be his. He may also have a less "cute", more "commanding sort of manner" (once again thank you Jane Austen) towards him, and if E.S. is not the domineering sort of man (wanting the best for himself and to humiliate others, without ever wanting to serve or even acknowledge authority), just the "insecure, unaware" sort of man, he may well feel what is real manliness, not just pretending, I am sure it would help him.

2 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Hide contents

wow, that's worse than the 2010 interview I've been seeing going around. It's okay if he personally prefers a certain style, but don't try to push that on the rest of us. besides, competitions are boring if everyone skates the same style. plus, going off who the most popular skater is, it's hardly bad for the popularity of the sport for men to skate more "feminine"-coded programs

27 minutes ago, shanshani said:

wow, that's worse than the 2010 interview I've been seeing going around. It's okay if he personally prefers a certain style, but don't try to push that on the rest of us. besides, competitions are boring if everyone skates the same style. plus, going off who the most popular skater is, it's hardly bad for the popularity of the sport for men to skate more "feminine"-coded programs

The other thing is: we have more than enough sports, where men can play with their muscles and power and punch each other. Figure skating is one of the VERY few remaining sports, where men have the possibility to show their elegance, grace and artistic qualities. Please, don't take this room away from them, especially if thousands and millions of skating fans want to see and celebrate exactly that. The demand is huge.

It's so narrow-minded to think that the only form of strength is raw power. Real strength is, when you believe in yourself and your values. When you don't betray yourself to appeal to others or satisfy old stereotypes. When you're not ashamed of your emotions and weaknesses but turn them into something that reaches people's heart. That's why Yuzu is the strongest of them all.

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Again, off topic so spoilered:

Spoiler

Let's unpack the fact that back in 2009, Skate Canada thought this was a good way to attract boys to the sport. Why did they think they needed to emphasize the athleticism of skating in the first place? 

I love my country and I'm very patriotic about our athletes and sport organizations, but this was a serious low moment. Even if the comments weren't intentionally homophobic, how could anyone not think they would be interpreted that way? 

Like, :facepalm::ohno::headdesk2:

1 hour ago, yumeaki said:

When you need a file to file the files...

Why am I not living in a Japan... 

Was thinking the exact same thing. Imagine being a 40th century archaeologist unearthing such a collection and trying to interpret it:

Dr. Archaeology: It appears that in the early 21st century, a cult arose around the figure of a youth who was said to fly over the ice on blades. Our researchers have unearthed thousands of ritual objects associated with said cult, in many sites across the planet formerly known as Earth. At its height, millions of people, mainly but not all women, adored this god-like figure. 

Dr. Social Anthropologist: The cult appears to have begun as a subset of the much larger worldwide obsession with competitive sport. Adherents were known to spend days at a time admiring their idol within the frozen temples that they called 'ice rinks'. Considerable time, energy, and expense were poured out to train competitors for the young 'god', who would then be summoned to compete for the edification of the masses watching. 

Dr. History: this cult, known at it's height as 'Hanyuism', eventually petered out in the 28th century, but not before inspiring unparalleled frenzies of devotion, such as the tossing of millions of fabric bears onto the sacred surface of the rink to conclude the competition ritual. 

Dr. Archaeology: Hanyuism has receded into the mist of time as nothing more than a 2000-year-old legend, until today. With the discovery of these troves of carefully preserved 'clear files', as worshippers called them, we now have incontrovertible proof that Yuzuru Hanyu really did exist. 

Dr. Social Anthropology: ...as impossible as that may seem. I mean, really, who would ever believe in the existence of a man who could rotate 4.5 or 5 times in the air above the ice, and land without harm? 

Dr.History: There are days when the Santa Claus myth seems far more plausible to me.