General Yuzuru Chat

I had been wondering about that for a while because there are 2 different pronunciations for this name, either with a soft g, or hard "g" + silent "s" (exact same spelling, but 2 different pronunciations) though the hard g + silent s would be more common where I'm from (it depends on the region I think). But Tracy said it with a soft g when she was doing commentary at SCI, so I guess that's the right one in this case. (I can't hear Yuzu very well with the commentary tbh, but it seems close enough?)

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

I think that he was pronouncing it fairly accurately.

I didn't say it was wrong, I just said it was cute. 

Anyway, I was taught in school that the French 'ain' is pronounced with more of an  'eh' sound than an 'onh' sound. Perhaps wrongly, but there you go.

50 minutes ago, Veveco said:

I had been wondering about that for a while because there are 2 different pronunciations for this name, either with a soft g, or hard "g" + silent "s" (exact same spelling, but 2 different pronunciations) though the hard g + silent s would be more common where I'm from (it depends on the region I think). But Tracy said it with a soft g when she was doing commentary at SCI, so I guess that's the right one in this case. (I can't hear Yuzu very well with the commentary tbh, but it seems close enough?)

This is definitely the right pronunciation – with a soft G and pronouncing the S. It is pronounced "Jislan" ("Jeeslan"). This is what his wife calls him, so it must be correct!

26 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

This is definitely the right pronunciation – with a soft G and pronouncing the S. It is pronounced "Jislan" ("Jeeslan"). This is what his wife calls him, so it must be correct!

Oh, I know, it's just hard to correct myself when I've been calling him the other (wrong) version in my head for so long :xD:

4 hours ago, Geo1 said:

It's actually nice to know the precise way to pronounce his name. Even with years of French in high school and college, I'd never seen the name at all.  And there really isn't an English equivalent (unlike Guillaume, for instance).  It really has a soft quality to it.

10 hours ago, Veveco said:

Oh, I know, it's just hard to correct myself when I've been calling him the other (wrong) version in my head for so long :xD:

Me too!

I must say, in the two videos send by Geo1, the first one was accurate, not the second one (an anglicized version).

It reminds me when I heard pronounced "Djemawa" on a radio program and, from what they said, it could be nobody else than Chopin's great friend "Grzymala" (in fact with a barred l, I had no notion of Polish pronunciation then). ;-)

And the "ain" in Ghislain" is like "ai" in "air" but nasalized.