General Yuzuru Chat

Don't you think it could be still the old rivalry about "the other Brian in the battle"? In this too one can see Brian Orser's success, having certainly be instrumental in the "Yuzuvier" frienship in rivalry — a bit like, later, Alina Zagitova succeeded in being an undefective older sister to Alena Kostornaia, after the pain she had in losing her own "elder sister" Evgenya Medvedeva in such bitter terms — making me wonder and admire her so much for her 5th place at WC 2018 where certainly she had too heavy a heart to skate at all.

Pity. Just recently I've been appreciating how the Brians like each other's posts on Instagram, as though with time, reflection, and wisdom they've come to look back at their rivalry as something positive rather than bitter. Try imagining that with Yags and Plush in a couple of decades - you can't, can you? I sure can't. Such a shame Brian B has to run his mouth before switching his brain on. His opinion and perspective isn't that of an expert if he's not keeping up to date with the field (and that's true of any field in which one can be an expert). His comments about Yuzuru just make him seem like he's deliberately trying to be too cool for the sport as it is now.

Also, tangent about Instagram and Cricket Club: Tracy liked one of my comments on something she posted about 4CC <3  Pretty sure she went through and liked everyone's comments but I still took a screenshot of that notification like it was the best thing to ever happen to me. 

42 minutes ago, memae said:

Pity. Just recently I've been appreciating how the Brians like each other's posts on Instagram, as though with time, reflection, and wisdom they've come to look back at their rivalry as something positive rather than bitter. Try imagining that with Yags and Plush in a couple of decades - you can't, can you? I sure can't. Such a shame Brian B has to run his mouth before switching his brain on. His opinion and perspective isn't that of an expert if he's not keeping up to date with the field (and that's true of any field in which one can be an expert). His comments about Yuzuru just make him seem like he's deliberately trying to be too cool for the sport as it is now.

Also, tangent about Instagram and Cricket Club: Tracy liked one of my comments on something she posted about 4CC <3  Pretty sure she went through and liked everyone's comments but I still took a screenshot of that notification like it was the best thing to ever happen to me. 

I'd have saved that Instagram screenshot, too.  I've gotten more than a couple of responses from Roman and Conrad and Grayson Long (who is just a little guy, but cute as can be, and very good...). But Tracy is a coup!

13 minutes ago, barbara said:

I'd have saved that Instagram screenshot, too.  I've gotten more than a couple of responses from Roman and Conrad and Grayson Long (who is just a little guy, but cute as can be, and very good...). But Tracy is a coup!

Roman works hard at responding to people - he gives out YouTube hearts pretty generously, I've gotten a couple.

4 hours ago, TallyT said:

This may be off-topic but it came up on my feedly, and I couldn't help thinking of little Yuzu all those years ago...

An absolutely terrifying clip from Sendai airport of the 2011 earthquake which is used in disaster prevention information.  We really can't fathom wat it must have been like...

https://www.boredpanda.com/biggest-earthquake-tsunami-japan-2011/

Continued off-topic but only to correct and clarify  some things in the video.  The earthquake actually lasted for nearly six minutes, which gives some idea of its potency.  Generally the longer a quake lasts the more powerful it is.  That's because there are more adjustments being made along the fault involved.  That is just a rule of thumb with exceptions to be expected.  The Kobe quake of January 1995 lasted a mere twenty seconds but because it was shallow and almost directly under Kobe it did much more damage than might be expected with a quake of only 7.0 magnitude.  The video showing the shaking in the restaurant at the airport should give everybody here some sense of  what Yuzu was experiencing at the very same time at his ice rink.  The difficulty people had in standing up should also give everyone some idea that there might have been times he was on hands and knees attempting to exit the building.  Also, while tsunamis travel at near jet-liner speeds in the open ocean they slow down as they near a coast because of friction with the ocean bottom and that is where the height of the wave begins building as parts further back in the wave meet resistance with the lead part of the wave.  Furthermore the height of the wave as it moves inland is very much a product of the coastal arrangement where the wave is incoming.  A long shallow coast, such as the Sendai plain where the airport is witnesses a fairly shallow tsunami.  The tsunami there was only a few meters in height but because of the low and flat nature of the land right there the wave was enabled to move as much as five miles inland.  There were a couple of places along the coast where the ocean bottom was much steeper and where the wave was entering an area where there were steep mountains on both sides and there was a narrowing of the distance from one side of the valley to the other, thus the wave piled up rapidly to where in one instance it reached a height of 140 feet.

To conclude I want to say that I was very much concerned that world championships next year not be in early March.  They aren't.  The reason is that the eleventh of March next year will be the tenth anniversary of the quake and I'm sure that Yuzu, who is so much identified with the recovery efforts, might be wanted to participate in events commemorating the event.  In Sendai alone there were over one thousand dead with the actual total in Japan being over nineteen thousand.  My guess is that the major event will be in Sendai which was the largest city involved and also the large city closest to the epicenter.  My one concern is that I hope that remembering everything that happened on that fateful day will not interfere with Yuzu's focus in preparing for the world championships in late March.  On the other hand he might be inspired by the memories to dedicate his skating to the memory of all those who died.  If that is the case we might witness Yuzu's greatest skate ever.