General Yuzuru Chat

6 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For all his cuteness and sweetness, I've never really seen him as anything other than this type of 'in-charge'  person. Now it's becoming more apparent because of his age, but it was always there.

Certainly, for instance his very attitude towards Pooh-san, no non-dominant would have dared to show it; and it is in itself, the considerate attitude of a sort of elder brother or parent. From a Japanese person, the present culture in the country being to avoid at any cost any singularity, I suppose it means even more.

And when my husband, who really has no interest in any body expression, saw him skating (SCI Parisienne Walkways), his very first comment was about this character. (My husband's character being exactly Mr Knightley's, an older Mr Knightley now ;-).)

34 minutes ago, river said:

But there are also times where as a physician still fairly fresh out of training, I see what other docs are doing and think to myself "that hasn't been the recommendation for around ten years now..." so it's always a struggle to find that balance

Spoiler

This was more what I was thinking of. Or, in the example of radiation medicine - in the early days of a novel therapy for lung cancer, the radiation oncologists at my center had incredible success with tumour reduction, saving patients' lives from the cancer. But when those patients had to get other, unrelated care out in the community, they faced difficulty getting appropriate treatment because their physicians would still think of them as having an 'incurable' cancer with low life expectancy. The problem was that there was either no awareness that this treatment was giving people their lives back, or no willingness to believe it was actually working. 

18 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For all his cuteness and sweetness, I've never really seen him as anything other than this type of 'in-charge'  person. Now it's becoming more apparent because of his age, but it was always there.

In Japanese, he speaks using very masculine slangs and expressions in informal settings, sometimes with Tohoku dialect that makes it even more tough sounding (to a Tokyo-ite).  That's why Nobu calls him "S", the domineering character, versus Nobu's omega (non-dominant/submissive) character.  Nobu needs Yuzu to protect him from the rough and tumble of this world... I hope Nobu is doing OK following his spat with Hamada-sensei (another dominant character).   Nobu is kind and gentle, unlike his famous predecessor (Oda Nobunaga) who had absolutely no qualms massacring thousands of men, women and children (and monks, to boot). 

Yuzu has always had a vision...he is a visionary.  A messiah of figureskating, spreading the philosophy that artistic figureskating is equally artistic and technical.

He is a man of his word ..'all in my calculations', and a man of action.

He is truly admirable and also very fortunate that along his life journey:

his parents, family, initial sponsor ANA, and mentors have recognized and nurtured his incredible once in forever talent!!

17 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

He is truly admirable and also very fortunate that along his life journey:

his parents, family, initial sponsor ANA, and mentors have recognized and nurtured his incredible once in forever talent!!

Yes, I am so grateful to Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson, who have always respected his personality, his needs. A domineering coach may have harmed him much. And a too complying one may not have brought him to the technical mastery he has now? Even with "a bit less" he would be wonderful (he was wonderful in R&J 1 and even before) yet it would be a loss.

I was thankfully able to watch Music with Wings in its entirety today, and I was really impressed! The performers were first class and it was very well presented. 

Standouts for me were White Legend and Seimei, I really appreciated how Western and Japanese instruments were so seamlessly used together in these arrangements. 

I also really liked NDP, and hearing new renditions of Requiem, Ballade No. 1 & Etude was great.

The weakest links for me were PW - but I've never particularly liked that song anyway - and Otonal. While I don't mind Otonal, hearing it side by side with Chopin's and Scriabin's arrangements makes it kind of obvious that it's just not on the same level musically. It has a pretty melody, but a full orchestra arrangement kind of emphasises that it lacks the rich nuance/complexity that the other arrangements have. But this is obviously not the orchestra's fault, they were perfect. My point is that I could listen to Chopin forever and Otonal is just not on that level.  

41 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

I am so sorry I cannot get Music with Wings from either source here, nor on Youtube. Generally speaking, I cannot access Youtube videos here but normally I can find them directly on Youtube. Maybe this message should go on the technical problems thread?

You need to allow third party cookies, I had this same problem :13877886:

you can do it from here if you are on chrome -----> chrome://settings/content/cookies

Today is PC Chopin's day :heart:. Somehow Yuzu Olympic days are just consecutive it's like Xmas+ Thanksgiving+NY's eve for Fanyus to celebrate :cheer:. Happy 2nd anniversary to this MASTERPIECE. Time to stream:

Btw, Yuzu debuted Chopin + SEIMEI pair at 2nd season of last quad (He skated Chopin ealier but only when he paired it with SEIMEI did it start to go into form). And they've come back at 2nd season of this quad too. Is this fate? It's like he's traveled a circle, and finally goes back to where he found himself. I think this pair of programs are his true "origin".

6 hours ago, SitTwizzle said:

Yes, I am so grateful to Brian Orser and Tracy Wilson, who have always respected his personality, his needs. A domineering coach may have harmed him much. And a too complying one may not have brought him to the technical mastery he has now? Even with "a bit less" he would be wonderful (he was wonderful in R&J 1 and even before) yet it would be a loss.

I agree that him going to TCC was probably the best decision of his life. Brian, Tracy and Ghislain and everyone else there are just perfect for Yuzu. Then again, I think they're perfect for a lot of skaters. They did so wonderfully with Javi, helping him reach potential that I'm not sure how many people saw was there, and I think you can see it with Jason and Evgenia as well, skating wise, but also attitude wise. TCC isn't just a training place, it's also a sort of home away from home for skaters, where they are treasured and nurtured and always pushed to become the best version of themselves they can be and encouraged to make their own decisions. I do sometimes wonder how Yuzu would have developed if he'd stayed in Sendai, but I'm not sure Ice Rink Sendai and Nanami-sensei had the resources to take him to the next level.

But I also agree that in general, coaches who are too domineering and uncaring of the skaters' personality are bad for the skater, while at the same time coaches who aren't strict enough and who coddle aren't good either. I often find myself thinking that Boyang and Misha and possibly Roman might need slightly stricter coaches. Admittedly, I don't know anything about their actual relationships with their coaches, but in the KnC, there's a slight feeling of them being coddles when things don't go right. I know a lot of people have issues with how Brian reacts when his skaters have bad skates - he received a lot of criticism for his "I don't know what to say" to Evgenia this season - but I prefer that. It's honest, it's matter of fact and afterwards it will probably become: "Ok, that obviously didn't work. Let's think about what we should do next." Which is infinitely better than a "Oh, you poor thing! Just rest for now and you'll see, everything will be alright!" sort of thing. Finding a balance between too strict and too coddling is probably the hard thing to do for coaches and I'm not entirely sure how many coaches have managed to find it. But TCC have for sure, IMO.

That said, I don't think Yuzu would work well with either of those extremes. He'd butt heads badly with a domineering coach. Some people joke about Yuzu and Eteri, but I'm 100% sure they'd be at each other's throats in 3 days. Or Yuzu would drive her so crazy she'd kick him out after 3 days. Similarly, with a coddling coach, he wouldn't feel challenged and would probably either go crazy doing whatever he wants, or simply decide he needs something else.

As for his personality, I think he has always been very strong and opinionated. Even saying, as a child, that he wants to win two Olympic Gold medals. His personality I think is generally more assertive than your regular Japanese person, although I think he makes up for it in politeness (or perhaps his parents have educated him such, to make sure his politeness counters his assertive personality). But that assertiveness is something many of his haters pick up on, too. I believe there's also quite a contrast between the way Yuzu speaks about wanting to win and what winning - and losing - means to him and the way other skaters speak. I think Yuzu's attitude is perfect and I also think it's essential to achieve this level of success and overcome all the obstacles he's overcome.

I also wonder now if this is one reason I'm not fully warmed up to Rika - and other Japanese skaters. Rika seems so meek in interviews, her voice is so soft and her words so polite and even when she loses she's smiling and projects an "oh, well, I'll just have to do better next time" attitude, but then she goes out there and her skating says something else and the gap confuses me lol I will always cheer for the Japanese skaters, but I admit it feels like something is missing when I can't feel that burning passion for victory - or for bettering oneself - that is so obvious in Yuzu everytime his skates touch the ice. Even in ice shows and exhibitions, you can feel his passion for doing the very best that he can, and I don't really get that as much from most of the other Japanese skaters. But that's perhaps because they're more typically Japanese and not so demonstrative with their feelings...

(and wow, this turned out rambly... sorry :headdesk:)

20 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I agree that him going to TCC was probably the best decision of his life. Brian, Tracy and Ghislain and everyone else there are just perfect for Yuzu. Then again, I think they're perfect for a lot of skaters. They did so wonderfully with Javi, helping him reach potential that I'm not sure how many people saw was there, and I think you can see it with Jason and Evgenia as well, skating wise, but also attitude wise. TCC isn't just a training place, it's also a sort of home away from home for skaters, where they are treasured and nurtured and always pushed to become the best version of themselves they can be and encouraged to make their own decisions. I do sometimes wonder how Yuzu would have developed if he'd stayed in Sendai, but I'm not sure Ice Rink Sendai and Nanami-sensei had the resources to take him to the next level.

But I also agree that in general, coaches who are too domineering and uncaring of the skaters' personality are bad for the skater, while at the same time coaches who aren't strict enough and who coddle aren't good either. I often find myself thinking that Boyang and Misha and possibly Roman might need slightly stricter coaches. Admittedly, I don't know anything about their actual relationships with their coaches, but in the KnC, there's a slight feeling of them being coddles when things don't go right. I know a lot of people have issues with how Brian reacts when his skaters have bad skates - he received a lot of criticism for his "I don't know what to say" to Evgenia this season - but I prefer that. It's honest, it's matter of fact and afterwards it will probably become: "Ok, that obviously didn't work. Let's think about what we should do next." Which is infinitely better than a "Oh, you poor thing! Just rest for now and you'll see, everything will be alright!" sort of thing. Finding a balance between too strict and too coddling is probably the hard thing to do for coaches and I'm not entirely sure how many coaches have managed to find it. But TCC have for sure, IMO.

That said, I don't think Yuzu would work well with either of those extremes. He'd butt heads badly with a domineering coach. Some people joke about Yuzu and Eteri, but I'm 100% sure they'd be at each other's throats in 3 days. Or Yuzu would drive her so crazy she'd kick him out after 3 days. Similarly, with a coddling coach, he wouldn't feel challenged and would probably either go crazy doing whatever he wants, or simply decide he needs something else.

As for his personality, I think he has always been very strong and opinionated. Even saying, as a child, that he wants to win two Olympic Gold medals. His personality I think is generally more assertive than your regular Japanese person, although I think he makes up for it in politeness (or perhaps his parents have educated him such, to make sure his politeness counters his assertive personality). But that assertiveness is something many of his haters pick up on, too. I believe there's also quite a contrast between the way Yuzu speaks about wanting to win and what winning - and losing - means to him and the way other skaters speak. I think Yuzu's attitude is perfect and I also think it's essential to achieve this level of success and overcome all the obstacles he's overcome.

I also wonder now if this is one reason I'm not fully warmed up to Rika - and other Japanese skaters. Rika seems so meek in interviews, her voice is so soft and her words so polite and even when she loses she's smiling and projects an "oh, well, I'll just have to do better next time" attitude, but then she goes out there and her skating says something else and the gap confuses me lol I will always cheer for the Japanese skaters, but I admit it feels like something is missing when I can't feel that burning passion for victory - or for bettering oneself - that is so obvious in Yuzu everytime his skates touch the ice. Even in ice shows and exhibitions, you can feel his passion for doing the very best that he can, and I don't really get that as much from most of the other Japanese skaters. But that's perhaps because they're more typically Japanese and not so demonstrative with their feelings...

I think Rika's actually more strong willed and independently minded than she lets on. Her personal manner may appear meek, but from what I've heard she's very self directed in practices.

13 時間前, Umebachiさんが言いました:

Also, sometimes people with asthma have more elastic skin - because during embryonic development the skin cells and internal lining of the lungs emerge from closely related stem cells.  When I had asthma as a child, a German doctor prescribed dry towel massage to strengthen and stimulate my outer skin - which, he said, will also strengthen the lining of my lungs.   At age 60, I am still blessed with soft elastic skin, but live in constant fear of another asthmatic attack...  

My son suffered from asthma when he was a child.  Once when I took him to the doctor for an asthma attack, the doctor said with a very serious face, "He should be careful not to marry a girl with asthma genes.  They would have children with asthma 100%.  But you know, girls with asthma genes are certainly pretty with fair skin."

I didn't know how to react :O wondering whether it was the doctor's joke or not.  He did not show any smile to the end.  Really, I should have asked whether it was a joke, but could never guess his answer :happy0007:

3 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I think it's really the culture, if you grow up in a typically conservative Asian culture like me you'll get what I mean. It's not just Japan, but perhaps more so in Japan. Girls aren't supposed to be outspoken, girls should be quiet, meek and shy, girls shouldn't be too opinionated or "guys won't like you", girls should be subservient, girls shouldn't be too ambitious, "alpha" girls are lousy girls that no one wants etc. The mentality is everywhere, and you get subtly reminded of it often, whether you like it or not.

Granted not all of Japan thinks that way, but you cannot escape the subconscious moulding, and Yuzu is special in a way that his family allowed his personality to flourish instead of judging it like a conservative society would. Not being a girl helps too. There's a saying in Japan that “The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.”, and I think we underestimate the cost of being "different" in a conservative society. If Rika grew up in a more "open" environment, I'm sure she'll be more "outspoken" than she is now.