General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, memae said:

Personally, I find Rob Pattinson handsome (and usually with red head guys I'm very ... repulsed is a bit harsh but I don't know what to say otherwise... because as a redhead myself I see them as long lost cousins) , but not nearly as handsome as Yuzuru or a bunch of other men (the one who plays Rafael on Jane the Virgin, for example, is very handsome in my eyes).

I also very much appreciated that there was someone on that Twitter thread who brought up how any "most attractive' title is always given to someone white, as though white beauty standards and tastes are the pinnacle of looks for the world. 

And, I have used this Twitter silliness to convert my bestie to our (meme)lord and saviour's cause and after some H&L goodness she's going to tune in for the 4CC men's short. As a muso she will also very much appreciate the Chopin, so I think we've won her over already, even before he skates. 

Personally, I've always found there's a difference between handsome and beautiful. Handsome is when they conform more to the masculine ideas of looking good. When you can see the testosterone. Beautiful is when it's more genderless. To me, at least. So while I would agree Robert Pattinson is handsome (though that's mostly based on seeing him in The King; I actually couldn't believe that was him, but he was really good in that role! Though Timothee Chalamet still takes the top spot for both acting and looks for me, in that movie lol), I would call Yuzuru and others, beautiful. Then there are some who can be both, depending on hairdos, for example. Since I mentioned Timothee (my new non-Yuzu favorite lol), he is beautiful with his natural longish curls, but in the King, with his hair cut, he leans more towards handsome, as it emphasizes the more masculine aspects of his face.

As with most things, before you can debate something, you need to establish the definitions. Define beauty, in this context, and then you can argue if someone is beautiful or not. I think someone mentioned it before, that since science is involved, they probably did mean beautiful=most symmetrical face. But that's a very loose definition and not entirely accurate, especially as humans are beings in motion, and not motionless objects where perfect symmetry matters. Yuzu's face isn't perfectly symmetrical, but you don't notice that unless you look at a still picture of him. But the real human is never entirely still, so who cares? lol That said, a Japanese actor I like, was once told he has a very symmetrical face and truth is, he was really good looking! (Nowadays he mostly has facial hair, which I'm not a fan of and has put on some weight. But as an actor I still love him lol)

Anyway, Yuzu can be drop-dead gorgeous (though I admit I don't ALWAYS find him to be so; his skating always is, though lol), so that's that lol

In a random sort of coincidence, still on the topic of this whole RPatz vs Yuzu Twitter thing, I spent today at Bran Castle (it snowed all day!), which is otherwise known as Dracula Castle because of Bram Stoker's novel, while Yuzuru was breaking his world record again. And while Edward Cullen is no Count Dracula, a vampire is a vampire. 

Rob Pattinson seems like a pretty chill, humble guy. I bet he probably has the decency to be flattered about even being mentioned in the same conversation as Yuzu if/once he knows who he is. 

Apparently, the Chinese fans refer to Ballade and Seimei as the "Imperial Twin".   Chinese fans are so creative at finding appropriate poetic expressions and are able to dig deep into their treasure-trove of literary references.  In Japanese, 双璧 soheki means two excellent things that cannot be distinguished from each other (like a twin).  This imperial twin must refer to some famous historic pairs from the Chinese history.  Does anyone know? 

A few random comments:

Yuzu is most definitely a beautiful young man.  If you want to stick with the Japanese, I would say that Daisuke Takahashi is the essence of handsomeness.  As for Shoma, he's just adorably cute.  That pretty much sums up that issue for me.

Now for Seimei.  I think we all should be prepared that it won't be exactly the program we are used to, since it was skated when FS's were four and a  half minutes long.  He's going to have had it pruned a bit.  The results we'll have to wait to see.

And lastly, I'm sure most here have seen Yuzu's short skate in Seoul.  What struck me was that one had to look very hard in the stands to find someone NOT wearing a face mask.  Seoul is a lot closer to ground zero of the coronavirus and we can see that those there are very well aware of it.  Latest news says that there are shortages of face masks showing up all over the globe now.  What effect is this going to have in Montreal next month?

That's all for now.

1 hour ago, Umebachi said:

Apparently, the Chinese fans refer to Ballade and Seimei as the "Imperial Twin".   Chinese fans are so creative at finding appropriate poetic expressions and are able to dig deep into their treasure-trove of literary references.  In Japanese, 双璧 soheki means two excellent things that cannot be distinguished from each other (like a twin).  This imperial twin must refer to some famous historic pairs from the Chinese history.  Does anyone know? 

I became a fan only recently so I don't know the reason behind the name.

First time I heard the word '帝国双璧' (before my fanyu life) in under the context of the Japanese novel '银河英雄传说': https://baike.baidu.com/item/帝国双璧/8301697.

I think it's more likely Chinese fanyus just like the phrase. Especially if you think that all these programs helped him building his kingdom, these two have been the corner stone of his legacy.

30 minutes ago, Ricecakey said:

I became a fan only recently so I don't know the reason behind the name.

First time I heard the word '帝国双璧' (before my fanyu life) in under the context of the Japanese novel '银河英雄传说': https://baike.baidu.com/item/帝国双璧/8301697.

I think it's more likely Chinese fanyus just like the phrase. Especially if you think that all these programs helped him building his kingdom, these two have been the corner stone of his legacy.

Oh interesting, thanks.  Isn't that a Japanese SciFi anime which refers to an interplanetary (?) struggle on the Milky Way?   I think the anime term originally derives from an historic reference to Chinese history (not Japanese history). 

In Japan, it is a sign of erudition (maybe among the older generation) to make references to Chinese literature and history - although it's not always easy to understand the reference because we pronounce the names so differently from Chinese.  We were so impressed by the Chinese lady commentator who made that famous phrase "I am the storm" in reference to Hanyu - and at that time many Japanese made comments about our admiration for this lady and the depth of Chinese literature and history.  

I vaguely recall that during the Han Dynasty (or Late Han Dynasty) there was a pair of hero warriors who formed a close bond and were referred to as a Twin?  Also, during the later periods of warring kingdoms, there were alliances between the factions that were sometimes referred to as the paired empires/twin empires.  Since I learned my Chinese history through a mixture of Japanese and English media, I am terrible with the actual names of dynasties and kings /warriors.  Sorry for my ignorance...

It would be great if someone with better knowledge of the Chinese history could shed some light...?

9 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Personally, I've always found there's a difference between handsome and beautiful. Handsome is when they conform more to the masculine ideas of looking good. When you can see the testosterone. Beautiful is when it's more genderless. To me, at least. So while I would agree Robert Pattinson is handsome (though that's mostly based on seeing him in The King; I actually couldn't believe that was him, but he was really good in that role! Though Timothee Chalamet still takes the top spot for both acting and looks for me, in that movie lol), I would call Yuzuru and others, beautiful. Then there are some who can be both, depending on hairdos, for example. Since I mentioned Timothee (my new non-Yuzu favorite lol), he is beautiful with his natural longish curls, but in the King, with his hair cut, he leans more towards handsome, as it emphasizes the more masculine aspects of his face.

As with most things, before you can debate something, you need to establish the definitions. Define beauty, in this context, and then you can argue if someone is beautiful or not. I think someone mentioned it before, that since science is involved, they probably did mean beautiful=most symmetrical face. But that's a very loose definition and not entirely accurate, especially as humans are beings in motion, and not motionless objects where perfect symmetry matters. Yuzu's face isn't perfectly symmetrical, but you don't notice that unless you look at a still picture of him. But the real human is never entirely still, so who cares? lol That said, a Japanese actor I like, was once told he has a very symmetrical face and truth is, he was really good looking! (Nowadays he mostly has facial hair, which I'm not a fan of and has put on some weight. But as an actor I still love him lol)

Anyway, Yuzu can be drop-dead gorgeous (though I admit I don't ALWAYS find him to be so; his skating always is, though lol), so that's that lol

You guys do realize that back in 2009 RPattz used to not shower, right? Like one time he admitted that he hadn't washed his hair in six weeks. Here is a more updated article listed below released in 2015 on his hygiene but still....:S.

I mean, the American media likes to brag about white men being the most handsome as in masculine. But if you think about in terms of some Asian men like Yuzuru Hanyu, he did grow up in an environment where Asian faces are better if they're feminine looking. Not to imply he's a wimp or anything, but I mean he DID take after his mom in looks (if you haven't looked her up then I suggest you do so.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2543735/amp/Robert-Pattinson-reveals-Dior-grooming-regime-quashing-THOSE-personal-hygiene-rumours.html

5 hours ago, Umebachi said:

"帝国" means empire or imperial.

"双璧" means two pieces of jade. They symbolize a pair of perfect humans or things.

Below are probably two earliest poems in which "雙璧" are seen in Chinese literature ("雙璧" is the traditional-character version of  "双璧"). 

1. 晉 傅玄 《乘輿馬賦》:“高顛懸日,雙璧象月。” This one was from the Jin Dynasty, which was from 279-420 AD.

2. 唐 駱賓王 《海曲書情》詩:“江濤讓雙璧, 渭水 擲三錢。” This one was from the Tang Dynasty, which was from 620-907 AD

(Source: http://www.chinesewords.org/dict/56372-345.html)

2 minutes ago, Maya said:

"双璧" means two pieces of jade. They symbolize a pair of perfect humans or things.

Below are probably two earliest poems in which "雙璧" are seen in Chinese literature ("雙璧" is the traditional-character version of  "双璧"). 

1. 晉 傅玄 《乘輿馬賦》:“高顛懸日,雙璧象月。” This one was from the Jin Dynasty, which was from 279-420 AD.

2. 唐 駱賓王 《海曲書情》詩:“江濤讓雙璧, 渭水 擲三錢。” This one was from the Tang Dynasty, which was from 620-907 AD

Thank you!  I knew that the term had roots in historic poetry.  Two perfect pieces of Jade: lovely description of Ballade1 and Seimei.

3 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

Thank you!  I knew that the term had roots in historic poetry.  Two perfect pieces of Jade: lovely description of Ballade1 and Seimei.

You're welcome. Jade is highly regarded in Chinese literature. It signifies virtue and treasure.

12 hours ago, monchan said:

twizzle-3A-twizzle is EXTINCT now?

It's one of Yuzu's signature 3As, it'll be back. 

@KatjaThera I think it's the symmetry = beauty thing that they're talking about. In reality, no human being ever has a perfectly symmetrical face, so someone who comes very close to perfect symmetry would probably make most people feel subconsciously uneasy b/c of the unnaturalness of it. I certainly have that kind of reaction to Pattinson. 

5 hours ago, Maya said:

This reminds me of the Twin Jades of Lan:grin:. Sorry, that's my leftover obsession from last year (The Untamed), renewed every time some new thing is released.

4CC gala might have the program based on it again, so... 

(I am not really sorry).