General Yuzuru Chat

Maybe it’s shades of what is being talked about regarding language in the posts above.  Japanese is a nuanced language which by the sound if it ( and please correct me if I’m wrong) freights its words and phrases with a lot of unspecified meaning which only a native speaker can truly understand.  Good English uses a lot of words to nail down meaning, so there’s potential to leave no room for doubt, though sloppy users still manage to do it, and operators like politicians do it deliberately.

Perhaps there’s a similar disconnect between cultures.  I’ve thought several times that Otonal and Origin carried a lot more weight in Yuzuru's mind than they ever did in Weir or Pluschenko’s.  I know they’re his heros but neither has ever struck me as particularly deep thinkers - W probably picked music he liked and did his best to make it beautiful, P was paying tribute to an icon in his own culture but it was basically a Plushy programme with a few extra arm movements - he may have truly intended to give tribute to Nijinsky but given the absence of any film of his (N’s) movement P was free to use him as a peg on which to hang whatever he wanted. Maybe Japanese culture is too far removed from American or Russian for a proper connection to be made, and Yuzuru is reading a lot more into those performances than ever crossed the minds of those who created them.

52 minutes ago, Vadrouille said:

I agree with you. In my opinion, Yuzuru considered his ideal of skating as a complete package with artistic, athletic sides of skating, also expressing the music. So maybe this requires more difficulties than simply one side of skating ,like athletic skating with 5 or 6 quads in a program.These days, the judges prefer athletic skating, like Chen, so they give him all the candies, high BV, GOE +5 for all his jumps, PCS maximum 9.9 or 10. Nobody can beat scores like that. 

So for me, Yuzuru can skate to any programs he likes and give him confidence, make him happy.

I don't hope for a win against Chen. Just enjoy Yuzuru 's skating. Hope he is healthy and happy.

Well, I DO hope for a win.  Not all the judges are the same and we have to hope that at least enough of the unbiased ones are the judges at Worlds this year.

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

I know this is off-topic but the issue has been raised about grad studies.  I've been through the mill, as they say, and I know the drill.  In my case graduate studies were conceived from the beginning as going for the PhD.  Since my financing was guaranteed I was able to proceed as rapidly as I could, so rapidly, in fact that I had already finished half of my doctoral course work before I received my masters.  In my case a master's thesis was not required so I did not have that formality, but I felt I needed the experience of working on a large project and my adviser agreed so I did six hours of independent study under his direction and produced a 103 page paper comparing the Japanese zen notion of enlightenment (satori) with the Aristotelian concept of catharsis (a purgation of emotion when witnessing a tragedy).  It gave me an idea of what was involved when dealing with a project on a comparatively large scale so that when undertaking my doctoral dissertation I had a firm notion of the logistics involved.  Thus my advice here is to aim for your doctorate but make sure that you have experienced the strategies involved when dealing with a large-scale project.  Much, of course, depends on what field you are in, since different fields have somewhat different notions of what exactly comprises serious research.  Your adviser should be most helpful in your specific circumstances and also helpful in pacing you depending on whether you are working or not.  My situation, because of private financing, was such that I came out of graduate school without owing a single cent.  It would be nice if everyone could do the same.

Excellent advice.  As I went back to school as an adult and a mother, I worked as a research asst and co-authored too many grant proposals (a must in scientific research) and papers.  So, I came out debt-free also, though it took longer than it would have had I been young and free and supported.  In the sciences, it is required to "add" something totally new to the science and that, for me, seemed the most daunting.  Hadn't it all been done already?  So, it really was finding my niche and making it my own.  Your linguistics goal is literally a different language than hard science research.  I had to learn "science" speak but that seems relatively simple compared to doing any research in a language so unlike my native English.  I just think your research sounds wonderful and something you could truly throw your heart in to, and ultimately, being passionate about the project is what will see you through all the research and writing and requirements and course work, etc..  I do hope you have a supportive major professor and a committee with imagination.  

Fanyu calligrapher Koho has an updated profile - Hanyu Yuzuru (羽生結弦)written in the soft and gently deconstructed style of the Heian era (8th to 11th century), surrounding Abe-no-Seimei pentagonal star.  Sending positive energies for 4CC!  

20 hours ago, Swann said:

I fear that judges won't give him very good marks and that he won't be able to beat Nathan with his recycled programs >:( (I hope I am wrong)

But as far as he is happy with this, I will support his choices :9:

The moment Yuzu with a Chopin and Seimei like at GPF 2015 doesn't win over an empty program (even with an extra quad) might be the day when people finally start questioning the current downward path in FS (not the judges, they know already). Yuzu already hinted in his interviews about this (more or less subtle) and it obviously saddens him to see it. I'm just glad he got out of this trend that is pushed onto the skaters before he lost his love for FS. Not sure if he alone will manage to bring FS back to being a complete sport (not just jumping but also not just skating without powerful jumps), but at least he's doing something, even if it means sacrificing some victories for it. I admire him even more for this, as it's very few people nowadays who have the courage to go against  trend.

I know it's too late for this season but I've just watched several performances of Yuzu doing Masquerade.  That is such a dynamite program that I really think, if he can handle the emotional stress in doing it, that he should seriously look at having that as his FS next season.  It is such a total no-holds barred program that I really think he could approach a perfect 100 PCS with it if he does it clean.  The judges simply cannot ignore the quality of the program and of his execution of it.  More than anything else it would highlight Yuzu's artistry against Nathan's athleticism.  And if Yuzu puts in some jumps at appropriate places he could ramp up his TES also.  I know how draining psychologically it can be for Yuzu in doing it but with TES ramped up combined with the PCS Yuzu would emerge as that most elusive of ideals - the Complete Skater.  The judges would have to give him the points.

Rough translation for the final part of this interview - as always, feel free to comment if you have any suggestions to improve my translation: 

Narrator: This season, he hasn't been able to deliver the performance he imagines. The start of his counterattack will be 4CC.

Y: I strongly feel that I want to accumulate more competition experience. With every competition, I can become stronger - this hasn't changed from the past. By practicing and competing together with strong skaters, I can gain all kinds of new knowledge and experiences. It feels like I'm able to see the stepping stones for becoming strong. So I feel I want to gain/benefit from that. 

Q: In yesterday's presscon, you hinted at challenging the 4A. 

(In the clip, Yuzu states that he'd like to use 4CC as a stepping stone for acquiring the 4A: ' I feel I need an overwhelmingly strong weapon, and even though the 4A only has 1 point BV difference with the Lutz, this is a point of pride for me. Currently, (the 4A) is the core supporting my skating/motivating me.'

A: Mm, Uchimura (Kouhei) has said that learning new skills is his motivation, something tangible that helps him become stronger, and (when I heard that) I thought 'that's exactly how I feel'. There are still so many things I cannot do that some other people can. But there are also things that nobody can do, but that hypothetically could be done, and precisely because I'm always pursuing that kind of thing, I can feel that what I'm doing is meaningful. It's like the oil for my desire to become stronger. 

Q: In the next WC, you will be fighting with Nathan, and maybe in 4CC too. What's your plan for bringing out the 4A? 

A: I'm still not able to imagine it in concrete terms. The game is on when I can actually land it. Currently I think I'd like to land it around February. But basic stamina, absolute strength and the sense of flow must all be incorporated more deeply, or I can't do it. The hurdle/bar is high, and it might not be something I can master in a matter of these few months. I do feel something like fear in that regard, and a reluctance to talk about it out loud. But I hope I can keep on chasing after it and finally do it.

Q: You talked about your 'core' before. Is that not wavering at all?

A: Well, I guess there are various crackles and fractures. Like the confidence I've built up so far.. Between the performance I'm imagining, and my current ability, there is a rift. I think this is a time of painful struggle. But I strongly think that I must strive for a performance that makes me feel this struggle was necessary. 

Narrator: 4CC is opening tomorrow.

Q: You hate losing above all, and you won't let it end like this. We believe that you can rise up and fight your way back to the top. What do you think about these expectations?

A:  Well, just speaking superficially, I think 'I'll definitely have a comeback/prove my worth'. Or rather than a comeback, I want to give a good performance. Not just 'want to', I will. Maybe this is still superficial now, but that's what I think. First of all, I'll rest. I'll rest before my spirit breaks into pieces*. I might be falling behind the starting line/restarting from a negative position (mentally), but I haven't been injured yet this season, so physically I haven't fallen into a negative position. I'll stick boosters to my feet again** and keep on racing forward. 

* Yuzu uses the phrase 心が折れ切る前に休んで ('kokoro ga orekiru mae ni yasunde'), which is an emotional statement that is difficult to translate, so I wanted to add a little note to explain a bit more. First, the word 心 (kokoro) is difficult to translate, because it corresponds with multiple English words. It is often translated as 'heart' (not the organ but inner feeling, the organ would be 心臓), but it can also mean 'mind' or 'spirit'. Basically the mental/spiritual parts of a person. Second, Yuzu uses the verb '折れ切る', which is a combination of 折れる (break, fold, bend, yield, give in) and the  auxiliary ending 切る (complete/finish doing something). So this combination basically means 'finish breaking completely'. In this context, it's clear that Yuzu is talking about needing some rest before he falls apart mentally. But it's really difficult to choose the exact words, because I don't think he's just talking about his 'heart', and the verb is a bit tricky too. If anyone can suggest a better translation, I'll be grateful. In any case, I hope I could kind of convey the different nuances this expression might have. 

** This is also difficult to translate because I'm not a native English speaker, not sure what verb to use here. Yuzu is basically using a whimsical expression of attaching rockets/'boosters' to his feet.

I haven't seen a lot of comments on any of the forums about the latest from the ISU regarding next year's Challenger series (ACI!!!!) - It's "ISU Communication 2307". And states - "One event in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States........ Up to a maximum of five (5) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council at its full discretion based on the applications from organizing ISU Members from all Continents to be submitted to the ISU."         Two competitions in No America?????

I see this a a major snub to Canada and Canadians (and I am only a Canadian wannabe).  Why are they even thinking of changing the country location? This has always been held in Canada.

Not that the ISU pays any attention to fans at all (and I still don't have my single event tickets for Worlds, which is an ISU deal but this isn't about that), but perhaps if every Canadian on the Planet writes the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada stressing how important it is to keep ACI in Canada, that might help keep it in Canada.  If ACI is not in Canada but in the states, there is little to no chance of Yuzuru being there.  Or Jun or even Roman.  The whole point of the Challenger series seems to be to give seniors competition experience.  Yuzu will want to try out his new and, expected, spectacular new programs and would go if it's anywhere in Canada (somewhere in eastern Canada being preferred, I'm sure, by TCC people).

As with all FS competitions, if Yuzuru isn't there, I won't be either and I really want to see him skate next season, on this continent. So, Canadians - start lobbying the Canadian ISU members....now.

3 minutes ago, barbara said:

I haven't seen a lot of comments on any of the forums about the latest from the ISU regarding next year's Challenger series (ACI!!!!) - It's "ISU Communication 2307". And states - "One event in Canada or the United States to be agreed upon among the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada and the United States........ Up to a maximum of five (5) additional International Figure Skating Competitions may be added by the ISU Council at its full discretion based on the applications from organizing ISU Members from all Continents to be submitted to the ISU."         Two competitions in No America?????

I see this a a major snub to Canada and Canadians (and I am only a Canadian wannabe).  Why are they even thinking of changing the country location? This has always been held in Canada.

Not that the ISU pays any attention to fans at all (and I still don't have my single event tickets for Worlds, which is an ISU deal but this isn't about that), but perhaps if every Canadian on the Planet writes the ISU Figure Skating Members in Canada stressing how important it is to keep ACI in Canada, that might help keep it in Canada.  If ACI is not in Canada but in the states, there is little to no chance of Yuzuru being there.  Or Jun or even Roman.  The whole point of the Challenger series seems to be to give seniors competition experience.  Yuzu will want to try out his new and, expected, spectacular new programs and would go if it's anywhere in Canada (somewhere in eastern Canada being preferred, I'm sure, by TCC people).

As with all FS competitions, if Yuzuru isn't there, I won't be either and I really want to see him skate next season, on this continent. So, Canadians - start lobbying the Canadian ISU members....now.

Tbh, "the core group of five" includes "one event in Canada or the United States" every year, but also every year both ACI and US Classic are held. Note that Challanger Series is always 9-10 events, and only 5 are mentioned here. So, no reason for drama, I'm pretty sure both ACI and US Classic will be held in 2020 too. Unless one of the country doesn't want to organise a challenger, but that's unlikely.

4 minutes ago, airi said:

Tbh, "the core group of five" includes "one event in Canada or the United States" every year, but also every year both ACI and US Classic are held. Note that Challanger Series is always 9-10 events, and only 5 are mentioned here. So, no reason for drama, I'm pretty sure both ACI and US Classic will be held in 2020 too. Unless one of the country doesn't want to organise a challenger, but that's unlikely.

No - the core five does not include a Canadian-based ACI - just a possible Canadian competition (in the core 5 or the additional 5).  Read the ISU communication.  It's not that Canada can't have one; they simply seem to be stating that if more US ISU members lobby for the fifth official competition, they might get it.

9 minutes ago, barbara said:

No - the core five does not include a Canadian-based ACI - just a possible Canadian competition (in the core 5 or the additional 5).  Read the ISU communication.  It's not that Canada can't have one; they simply seem to be stating that if more US ISU members lobby for the fifth official competition, they might get it.

I'm just saying, if you read communications from other years, that is exactly the same. Always only one challanger is guaranteed in North America, but every year we have both ACI (in Canada) and US Classic (in USA). So yeah, it's not guaranteed, but it literally never was.

And btw, ACI is always held in Canada, challanger in USA is called US Classic International - maybe I'm wrong but from your post it seems like you think that ACI can be held somewhere else... no, it's Skate Canada's competition, it can be in Canada or nowhere at all.

1 hour ago, glilikoi said:

Rough translation for the final part of this interview - as always, feel free to comment if you have any suggestions to improve my translation: 

Narrator: This season, he hasn't been able to deliver the performance he imagines. The start of his counterattack will be 4CC.

Y: I strongly feel that I want to accumulate more competition experience. With every competition, I can become stronger - this hasn't changed from the past. By practicing and competing together with strong skaters, I can gain all kinds of new knowledge and experiences. It feels like I'm able to see the stepping stones for becoming strong. So I feel I want to gain/benefit from that. 

Q: In yesterday's presscon, you hinted at challenging the 4A. 

(In the clip, Yuzu states that he'd like to use 4CC as a stepping stone for acquiring the 4A: ' I feel I need an overwhelmingly strong weapon, and even though the 4A only has 1 point BV difference with the Lutz, this is a point of pride for me. Currently, (the 4A) is the core supporting my skating/motivating me.'

A: Mm, Uchimura (Kouhei) has said that learning new skills is his motivation, something tangible that helps him become stronger, and (when I heard that) I thought 'that's exactly how I feel'. There are still so many things I cannot do that some other people can. But there are also things that nobody can do, but that hypothetically could be done, and precisely because I'm always pursuing that kind of thing, I can feel that what I'm doing is meaningful. It's like the oil for my desire to become stronger. 

Q: In the next WC, you will be fighting with Nathan, and maybe in 4CC too. What's your plan for bringing out the 4A? 

A: I'm still not able to imagine it in concrete terms. The game is on when I can actually land it. Currently I think I'd like to land it around February. But basic stamina, absolute strength and the sense of flow must all be incorporated more deeply, or I can't do it. The hurdle/bar is high, and it might not be something I can master in a matter of these few months. I do feel something like fear in that regard, and a reluctance to talk about it out loud. But I hope I can keep on chasing after it and finally do it.

Q: You talked about your 'core' before. Is that not wavering at all?

A: Well, I guess there are various crackles and fractures. Like the confidence I've built up so far.. Between the performance I'm imagining, and my current ability, there is a rift. I think this is a time of painful struggle. But I strongly think that I must strive for a performance that makes me feel this struggle was necessary. 

Narrator: 4CC is opening tomorrow.

Q: You hate losing above all, and you won't let it end like this. We believe that you can rise up and fight your way back to the top. What do you think about these expectations?

A:  Well, just speaking superficially, I think 'I'll definitely have a comeback/prove my worth'. Or rather than a comeback, I want to give a good performance. Not just 'want to', I will. Maybe this is still superficial now, but that's what I think. First of all, I'll rest. I'll rest before my spirit breaks into pieces*. I might be falling behind the starting line/restarting from a negative position (mentally), but I haven't been injured yet this season, so physically I haven't fallen into a negative position. I'll stick boosters to my feet again** and keep on racing forward. 

* Yuzu uses the phrase 心が折れ切る前に休んで ('kokoro ga orekiru mae ni yasunde'), which is an emotional statement that is difficult to translate, so I wanted to add a little note to explain a bit more. First, the word 心 (kokoro) is difficult to translate, because it corresponds with multiple English words. It is often translated as 'heart' (not the organ but inner feeling, the organ would be 心臓), but it can also mean 'mind' or 'spirit'. Basically the mental/spiritual parts of a person. Second, Yuzu uses the verb '折れ切る', which is a combination of 折れる (break, fold, bend, yield, give in) and the  auxiliary ending 切る (complete/finish doing something). So this combination basically means 'finish breaking completely'. In this context, it's clear that Yuzu is talking about needing some rest before he falls apart mentally. But it's really difficult to choose the exact words, because I don't think he's just talking about his 'heart', and the verb is a bit tricky too. If anyone can suggest a better translation, I'll be grateful. In any case, I hope I could kind of convey the different nuances this expression might have. 

** This is also difficult to translate because I'm not a native English speaker, not sure what verb to use here. Yuzu is basically using a whimsical expression of attaching rockets/'boosters' to his feet.

Thank you so much for the translation. I really enjoy your penchant for the minute details and your care not to hurt the outcome of your endeavour! Great work!

2 hours ago, airi said:

I'm just saying, if you read communications from other years, that is exactly the same. Always only one challanger is guaranteed in North America, but every year we have both ACI (in Canada) and US Classic (in USA). So yeah, it's not guaranteed, but it literally never was.

And btw, ACI is always held in Canada, challanger in USA is called US Classic International - maybe I'm wrong but from your post it seems like you think that ACI can be held somewhere else... no, it's Skate Canada's competition, it can be in Canada or nowhere at all.

Ok, I feel a little better...

2 hours ago, airi said:

Even if ACI doesn't get granted challenger status it will most likely still be held and Yuzu will probably go as he did in 2015 when it wasn't a challenger so there's nothing to worry about.