General Yuzuru Chat

9 minutes ago, FlyingCamel said:

Just saw this on twitter and it looked new to me? Not sure though

Jeez if they are going to interview him in the hotel anyway why hoard him at the airport?! Let him get through the airport as quickly as possible then they can ask all they want in the hotel zzz

I feel a bit relieved when he decided to change programs cuz it means we might see new programs next ss :winky:. Like he was so fixated on his visionary picture of Origin I feel like I might have to watch it 'til he retires lol. Origin is great program no doubt, but no matter how great Yuzu skates it, it's still music written for Plushenko's skating. If he can achieve smt big (clean program with 4A), I hope it will be his very own program. Ofc we now face the possibility of SEIMEI for life, but I'd take SEIMEI over Origin anytime :heart:. If he can succeed with Chopin & SEIMEI, he might be happy enough to move on with new programs, if not, he might try new programs too. The possibility of new programs is higher than Origin era so I think the departure from tribute programs is good.

Hearing more and more on Yuzu's program change reasons, I am very glad that he seems to find his peace of mind and his "true" skating with Seimei. 

Btw, it is hilarious to hear him saying that he was shocked to see the program change reported in this way LOL.

:xD:

So I imagine this is what happened on the day of the bio update:

ISU intern: What?! :confused0068: Yuzuru Hanyu changes his programs to Chopin and Seimei? Nevermind, I will just update it.

The whole fandom and figure skating world: What?! :confused0068: Yuzuru Hanyu changes his programs to Chopin and Seimei? It must be a typo, isn' it? ... Is it...?

Yuzuru: What?! :confused0068: They spoiled the fun so that I can't witness how the whole arena will explode.

43 minutes ago, airi said:

Katia about Yuzu. Can't believe how direct and brave she was :laughing:

She is a sweet young girl who understands that a skater, even the GOAT, is a human being with real human feelings who has real human needs.  He gets hugs from his coaches, but, I think, only after competitions. We all need to be seen and understood and hugged.  And without Javi there, it's nice to know that someone gets to look him in the eye and show him that she cares.

Well... I really hate the fact that this biased, corrupted and moreover - unstable, aleatory, ill-considered judging system (alongside with its genius creator ISU) made the most authentic, natural,  pure, talented and apprieciated by the audience figure skater ever doubt about his skating identity. After 10 seasons of competitive experience at senior level. Quite an accomplishment. Bravo. His home fed also contributed to that. Optimistic thing is that this skater can reinvent himself as nobody else (unlike ISU who can't improve a single thing in 25 years). 

I'm going to do a rough translation of the second interview segment broadcasted today. Sorry if someone has already done this!

After the introduction, the narrator states that Yuzu was trying to look ahead despite the difficult defeat at Nats.

Y: Right now it feels like I've gone through a series of disasters, or from bad to worse.. (the idioms he uses here are 七難八苦  'seven difficulties and eight pains', originally a Buddhist phrase; and  泣き面に蜂  'bees on a tearful face', which is similar to 'adding insult to injury' - I think it's a nice figure of speech). I don't think I've been this tattered since my Novice days - I'm really worn out. But it's not just because I lost - I gave it my all and still couldn't make it, and that was kuyashii and painful, which is why I'm tired now. But I still have time to recover, to recover even a little bit. I'd like to whip my body into shape as soon as possible. 

Q: After losing to Nathan etc, how does it feel to go from 'being chased' to 'chasing'? 

A: Well, what I was really happy about was that Shoma was always being told he was 'Hanyu's successor', and I think this gave him a lot of pressure too. If I made mistakes, it would be described (in the press) as a 'crushing defeat'. So there was this huge pressure on both sides. What if this situation was reversed, 'if Shoma won then wouldn't something change?' - I did also think about this. But then he did win, and nothing changed - neither Shoma or myself. I guess this is our natural stance/attitude, we have that kind of relationship. So I felt a bit relieved. I could still think that I can be 'Yuzu-kun' for Shoma. And because 'Yuzu-kun' is not that weak, I still need to continue being cool/doing my best. I do still think I want to become someone Shoma wants to chase and win. So I'll keep on doing my best. 

Q: But you are still someone who everyone in the world wants to chase after. 

A: Well, but I feel really kuyashii and pathetic. I feel the pain of not being able to bring the results I wanted, and the pain of not being able to give a good performance. I've been constantly haunted this season (by failure/frustration). Well, probably not just this season, somehow there is always a feeling of もやもや (I can't really translate this word because there's too many possible translations - it can mean feeling gloomy, frustrated, depressed or uncertain, and I don't really know what exactly Yuzu means here, so I think it's better to leave it up for interpretation). When skating, there are things that make me think 'ah, it's so hard'.. Well, although this isn't a request to the gods, I would like to work hard and properly, to use various means/sources of power - and as long as I keep greedily working hard, I think someday there will be a moment where that hard work is rewarded, even if it has to be a miracle. So while waiting for that, I want to continue feeling this pain, too. 

Q: Has your previously stated pre-season goal of wanting to be the 'strongest version of yourself' changed? 

A: No, it hasn't changed at all. Well, this is going back to talking about the present moment, but.. Stephane Lambiel really consoled me this time. He's a very good friend to me. In ice shows too, he's always been very kind to me, since a long time ago. Well, this happens every time I lose in a competition, but kind people like that will always say stuff like 'It's okay since you're already a legend' to me. That 'there's meaning in the things you do, in you just being here'. But being told that is painful in itself. These are only glories of the past.. When I fail*, I can't think of myself as someone amazing at all. When I'm told that I'm already a legend, that just makes me feel all the more like my current state is no good. Like I don't want to become a relic of the past. I want to keep moving.  

(* This is one part I wasn't 100% sure of - maybe a native speaker could confirm? Did Yuzu mean 滑る as in 'skate' or as in 'fail/bomb' here? )