General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Henni147 said:

If figure skating was still like back in 2015-2018, I would watch and enjoy it even without Yuzu, because the quality and entertainment factor was enormous. It was the time, when Javi, Patrick, Shoma, Boyang, Misha Kolyada and many others enriched the sport with amazing performances and the scores somewhat reflected what they actually did on the ice. Figure skating was not that kind of a blatant depressing clownery show that it is today and I feel sad for every young talent who is robbed of a bright future, before his or her career has even begun.

Yes, it was great in men field. But if you look into women field, that was a time when some absurdies started to happen like Evgenia's domination due to huge overscoring - they gave her all the candies at 15, 16. No one could beat her then (even with similar jumping content). It was the first act. And it didn't give her any favor in her career development - looking at what she has to deal with right now. She's developed her skating skills a lot, performance quality and maturity but I think she'll never get those PCS and GOE candies again whatever she'll do. 

With any fair scoring a clean Yuzu with 5 quads would win over a 5-quad performance from Nathan any time. I shouldn't even be a question. The difference in quality should show in GOE and the components. These days we're going back to 6.0 when all that mattered if someone stayed on the feet and jumped the hard stuff. Sigh. 

4 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Yuna could not jump triple loop and took it out for nearly her entire senior career. She has never landed 3lo consistently throughout her entire skating career. She only had 4 triples up her arsenal. Thus she was many points behind in BV than adelina sotnikova at sochi. Not to mention Yuna never had the athletic ability to ever attempt 3A or quads competitively. 

In Yuna's case quality should have mattered, too, lower BV or not. Both in GOEs and PCS. But they wanted Adelina to win over her, that is what happened.

Quads weren't necessary at that time...3A neither, only Mao jumped it. Overall quality mattered more, until Sochi.

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Does anyone happen to have a translation of the confession? Thank you in advance ❤️

Calling it a confession is really misleading, as you'd expect from Fuji TV... It's just longer segments of the interview filmed just after MOI. I wish we could have seen some more recent footage, since I think Yuzu's mindset has probably already changed since then, but this interview is still pretty good.

I'll do a very rough translation below, I'm sure someone will do a more careful one later. Sorry for any mistakes there may be! 

Q. 'Were you able to sleep yesterday?'

A: I tried to not look at anything, but (not really). To be honest, I couldn't really remember the performance, since I was just (focusing on) giving all I had, and it's difficult to express now.. But to be honest, I felt regretful and I had a feeling of loss.. While also feeling that I was able to put out there what I really needed to. With these kinds of thoughts, I spent the night without being able to sleep much. 

Q: 'Yesterday you said your thoughts were chaotic, but were you able to get your thoughts in order during that night?'

A: I think today is already different. I was able to enjoy a very special time during MOI, to perform a program that feels special to me. And the contents of that performance as well.. Recently I've been repeatedly making mistakes on 3A, not being able to do it beautifully, but even despite that, there was a moment of feeling a bit like 'I'm back'. So now I feel just a little bit happy because of that.

Q: 'Why did you choose to perform Seimei?'

A: Well, I felt the pressure of absolutely not wanting to harm this program (with a bad performance). But I also wanted to get this program a bit closer to its 'complete form' with live music, so I'm glad I was able to try it out. 

Q: 'So this performance became one step in the evolution of Seimei?'

A: Well, it'll be good if it did. My excitement (from the performance) hasn't cooled yet, but it will. And when I suddenly go back to being just one person 'Hanyu Yuzuru', there is a fear that I won't be able to stand up/move on.. So I turn to various things for support, I think many things and many people are (going through the trouble of) supporting me, and I rely on those people. First I want to stand up on the ground/ice (not sure if he first says 'ground' by mistake or if this is some idiom I don't understand). 

Q: 'How do you feel about confronting the public image of 'Hanyu Yuzuru'/is there tension with the public image and yourself'?

A: Sometimes it gets to a point where I'm confused/don't really know what's what. But I don't really think I project any falsities, I'm basically being myself. Of course as a member of society, as just another person, there are standards/moderations one must respect, and I think I normally do the same things that any person would need to do. But I do think this is myself/how I really am, and I'm very particular about/fixated on a lot of things, so there are times when I'm on the verge of losing control/my thoughts get chaotic. But I think this is just how 'Hanyu Yuzuru' is. 

Q: 'I think the pressure on you is sometimes excessive/too much. Are there times when you feel like you're being crushed by that?'

A: I feel like I need to be cornered by something, if I'm going to do something then I never want to do it halfway. Like today at practice, I felt very tired, and for the first time in a long time I felt scared to go out there and skate, scared to perform in front of everyone, but when I decide I'm going to do it, I'll do it with all I have. That's 'me' essentially. There are times when it seems like I'll get crushed, probably also times when I do get crushed, but I'll still try to set it aside, to take the burden (and keep going). That's how I feel most of the time. 

//A lot of the things he says here are kind of concerning/sad, but I think it's largely because it's so soon after his disappointing performance in the FS. I'm pretty sure he's already been able to process many of the difficult things he talks about here in a constructive way. 

Also I found it kind of interesting that Yuzu uses the word 社会人 (shakaijin) about himself here. Literally 'society person', it's a word that doesn't really have an equivalent in most other languages. According to the dictionary definition, it means 'working adult; full-fledged member of society' - basically in Japan, someone who works full time and is not a student, part-timer, housewife, etc. It's a pretty narrow definition. It's true that Yuzu has a position as a company employee (as well as multiple other contracts) so it's not false in any way, but it just feels weird to me to think of him as a  社会人 somehow. This is completely OT, just something I personally thought amusing.

Thank you so much for translation!! 

10 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

And when I suddenly go back to being just one person 'Hanyu Yuzuru', there is a fear that I won't be able to stand up/move on..

I didn't understand what he meant here! Funny thing is with my non existent Japanese one of the only words I had managed to understand was "afraid"  through out the interview, and I was so curious to know what he was saying he was afraid of!

Poor Yuzu, I don't want you to carry a burden like this T^T

4 minutes ago, Crow said:

Thank you so much for translation!! 

I didn't understand what he meant here! Funny thing is with my non existent Japanese one of the only words I had managed to understand was "afraid"  through out the interview, and I was so curious to know what he was saying he was afraid of!

Poor Yuzu, I don't want you to carry a burden like this T^T

That part was really difficult to translate properly, I'm sure somebody else will put out a more thoughtful translation soon.

The way I understood it, he's basically describing how the 'high' of performing Seimei will fade away, and then he'll have to face his everyday reality again, and that's a difficult transition/moment where he looks for (and receives) support from around him. Many performers experience something like this (the difficulty in transitioning), but I guess what Yuzu also indicated here is that he was going through a particularly difficult period, and the good performance of Seimei gave him some happiness, but he was worried of how he'd feel after going back to the daily routine. It's difficult to translate because there are a lot of nuances there.

2 hours ago, MatchaBeans said:

We have seen Yuzu in many different brands, and looks like he prefers it that way. His on-ice training tops are from UA, pants from Marina (I think?). He wears lots of Mizuno, and we have seen him in venex too. I am sure he receives tonnes of sportswear from companies and he just picks what he likes to wear.

At the end of the day, he's an athlete and training is work that he spends a lot of time on. He's going to wear what's most comfortable, regardless of brand unless he a reason (e.g.: ethics or whatever). 

As a swimmer, I spent years training in the exact same cut of the same brand of swimsuit because it was what was most comfortable. I don't know how many new suits and different colours I went through over the years, but they were all exactly the same brand and make. 

hace 23 minutos , glilikoi said:

Calling it a confession is really misleading, as you'd expect from Fuji TV... It's just longer segments of the interview filmed just after MOI. I wish we could have seen some more recent footage, since I think Yuzu's mindset has probably already changed since then, but this interview is still pretty good.

I'll do a very rough translation below, I'm sure someone will do a more careful one later. Sorry for any mistakes there may be! 

A: I tried to not look at anything, but (not really). To be honest, I couldn't really remember the performance, since I was just (focusing on) giving all I had, and it's difficult to express now.. But to be honest, I felt regretful and I had a feeling of loss.. While also feeling that I was able to put out there what I really needed to. With these kinds of thoughts, I spent the night without being able to sleep much. 

Q: 'Yesterday you said your thoughts were chaotic, but were you able to get your thoughts in order during that night?'

A: I think today is already different. I was able to enjoy a very special time during MOI, to perform a program that feels special to me. And the contents of that performance as well.. Recently I've been repeatedly making mistakes on 3A, not being able to do it beautifully, but even despite that, there was a moment of feeling a bit like 'I'm back'. So now I feel just a little bit happy because of that.

A: Well, I felt the pressure of absolutely not wanting to harm this program (with a bad performance). But I also wanted to get this program a bit closer to its 'complete form' with live music, so I'm glad I was able to try it out. 

A: Well, it'll be good if it did. My excitement (from the performance) hasn't cooled yet, but it will. And when I suddenly go back to being just one person 'Hanyu Yuzuru', there is a fear that I won't be able to stand up/move on.. So I turn to various things for support, I think many things and many people are (going through the trouble of) supporting me, and I rely on those people. First I want to stand up on the ground/ice (not sure if he first says 'ground' by mistake or if this is some idiom I don't understand). 

Q: 'How do you feel about confronting the public image of 'Hanyu Yuzuru'/is there tension with the public image and yourself'?

A: Sometimes it gets to a point where I'm confused/don't really know what's what. But I don't really think I project any falsities, I'm basically being myself. Of course as a member of society, as just another person, there are standards/moderations one must respect, and I think I normally do the same things that any person would need to do. But I do think this is myself/how I really am, and I'm very particular about/fixated on a lot of things, so there are times when I'm on the verge of losing control/my thoughts get chaotic. But I think this is just how 'Hanyu Yuzuru' is. 

Q: 'I think the pressure on you is sometimes excessive/too much. Are there times when you feel like you're being crushed by that?'

A: I feel like I need to be cornered by something, if I'm going to do something then I never want to do it halfway. Like today at practice, I felt very tired, and for the first time in a long time I felt scared to go out there and skate, scared to perform in front of everyone, but when I decide I'm going to do it, I'll do it with all I have. That's 'me' essentially. There are times when it seems like I'll get crushed, probably also times when I do get crushed, but I'll still try to set it aside, to take the burden (and keep going). That's how I feel most of the time. 

:bow:Thank you SO MUCH for translating!!!!!!!!!!! :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw::tumblr_lkl6q24eyw1qfamg6:

11 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

That part was really difficult to translate properly, I'm sure somebody else will put out a more thoughtful translation soon.

The way I understood it, he's basically describing how the 'high' of performing Seimei will fade away, and then he'll have to face his everyday reality again, and that's a difficult transition/moment where he looks for (and receives) support from around him. Many performers experience something like this (the difficulty in transitioning), but I guess what Yuzu also indicated here is that he was going through a particularly difficult period, and the good performance of Seimei gave him some happiness, but he was worried of how he'd feel after going back to the daily routine. It's difficult to translate because there are a lot of nuances there.

I read from someone that he is a very good speaker and he probably expresses himself in somewhat of a complex way perhaps? He seems to have a lot of things going on in his mind at all times, doesn't seem like a simple guy ^_^'
I understand more now, thank you very much for your help 🙏

36 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

//A lot of the things he says here are kind of concerning/sad, but I think it's largely because it's so soon after his disappointing performance in the FS. I'm pretty sure he's already been able to process many of the difficult things he talks about here in a constructive way. 

Also I found it kind of interesting that Yuzu uses the word 社会人 (shakaijin) about himself here. Literally 'society person', it's a word that doesn't really have an equivalent in most other languages. According to the dictionary definition, it means 'working adult; full-fledged member of society' - basically in Japan, someone who works full time and is not a student, part-timer, housewife, etc. It's a pretty narrow definition. It's true that Yuzu has a position as a company employee (as well as multiple other contracts) so it's not false in any way, but it just feels weird to me to think of him as a  社会人 somehow. This is completely OT, just something I personally thought amusing.

Thank you so much for your time and effort!! Appreciate it so much 💕

1 minute ago, Crow said:

I read from someone that he is a very good speaker and he probably expresses himself in somewhat of a complex way perhaps? He seems to have a lot of things going on in his mind at all times, doesn't seem like a simple guy ^_^'
I understand more now, thank you very much for your help 🙏

Yeah, Yuzu usually doesn't use hugely complex words but the sentence structures can get confusing :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:He has a tendency to speak in very long and run-on sentences, which is definitely a characteristic of people who have a lot of thoughts running through their mind all the time, and these lines of thoughts sometimes sort of criss-cross or proceed at different speeds (I would know since I have the same tendency). It makes it difficult to connect the dots sometimes, but what he's saying always makes sense once you get it.

1 hour ago, glilikoi said:

Oh, thank you so much for the translation! During these crazy days it is priceless to get an opportunity to try  and understand his thoughts a little bit more 🙏💜 Even though the interview is a bit sad/hard, I can not help but admire this amazing boy even more! His flexibility & resilience are truly astounding! He says he needed to find things for support & so he turned back to Chopin & Seimei, making up his mind to fight & give it his all again.. amazing..

I agree with so many things said in the last few pages & it's so comforting to know I'm not alone - I was in love the FS from the 90s, completely lost my faith in fair judging during the Olympics in Solt Lake & even stopped following fs for some time after Plushenko got silver in Vancouver and the only amazing phenomenon that got me back is Yuzu.. 

The horrible inflation of Nate's scores makes it impossible to stay calm and enjoy the journey, it's so infuriating... ISU is doing everything they can so that Nate wins no matter what... in this light Brian's words about Yuzu needing "a magic momnet in order to win" suddenly make a lot of sense.. I want to believe in magic & I certainly believe in Yuzu, hoping with all my might that his golden olympic programs will help create this rare magic moment.. Supporting and loving him unconditionally.. let all the love & support contribute to the magic! 🙏⛸❤💖💜

1 hour ago, glilikoi said:

I think a native English speaker would use the idiom 'come back to earth/come down to earth' for the concept you're translating here.  Like a hot air balloon  or a kite  - they fly high and land hard. In context, it seems like Yuzu is describing the experience of competing and performing as a bit of an emotional rollercoaster. 

1 hour ago, memae said:

At the end of the day, he's an athlete and training is work that he spends a lot of time on. He's going to wear what's most comfortable, regardless of brand unless he a reason (e.g.: ethics or whatever). 

As a swimmer, I spent years training in the exact same cut of the same brand of swimsuit because it was what was most comfortable. I don't know how many new suits and different colours I went through over the years, but they were all exactly the same brand and make. 

Ditto. 

2 hours ago, glilikoi said:

First of all. Thank you SO much for the translation!

I really hope that this pressure won't be too big in competition... :13877886: On the other hand, he skated one of the best Seimei performances ever at MOI. The awesome backward crossrolls... the genius 3A-like spin entry... just everything on point. Toes and fingers crossed that he can use this positive memory in his performance this week, too :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw: