General Yuzuru Chat

I’ve listened to the podcast too : it was nice hearing people describe what it feels like seeing Yuzu skate for the first time or seeing him live: I love how they tried to put this feeling into words and emphasized how in the end there is no word for it. Hearing Brendan’s impressions was interesting too. I think in the whole it conveyed the whole Yuzu phenomenon pretty well and it didn’t overdo it on promotion for the 4CC. 

On 1/21/2020 at 4:06 AM, Alexis219 said:

Aaaaaaa can anyone translate this? I wonder what he's saying!!! Pumped up for 4cc... Will Yuzu finally get the gold this season, like he finally got gold in Skate Canada? Aaaaaaaaaa

Did I miss something?  Does Nathan will compete in Four Continents 2020 too? Why the Fiji Promo showed the loss of Yuzuru in GPF and he accepted his loss, saying that Nathan is much better than him.

So Fuji promoted Nathan win in Four Continents too?

14 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Go, Yuzu!:smiley-happy105:

Yuzu on top and two complete underdogs no one expected to ever win in the #2 and #3 spots would be really interesting and fun. The way this season is going, anything can happen, so why not? 

But Yuzu on top, that's for certain.

On 1/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, Fay said:

I didn't listen to it all because I was only interested to hear what Tracy had to say, so I skipped to the parts where she was talking. 

For people who don't have time to listen, I have transcribed Tracy's words in this podcast. I found the part where she talked about his privacy particularly compelling, since this topic doesn't get talked about often. 

You know he's one of the best the world has ever seen in any sport. He's that rare athlete that is to be seen, but you can't miss it, you can't ignore it, and it is beautiful on TV, but to see it live, you actually feel it and experience what he is capable of.

He is a student who's very determined. To watch him train, it's phenomenal. He's got this ability, he's like a rock star, he gets into the rink... he's got this shtick, but it's more than that. It's the star quality, and he puts on a show. 

My two favourite sport growing up are figure skating and rugby, so I approach my skating career in the same way. Of course Japan has a rugby team that is often an underdog, but I said to Yuzu at one point, I said, 'Yuzu, you're not that tired! If you watch your rugby team, look what they do, and you don't have to hit anybody, so push through, push through.' We laugh because, he would just look at me, like "OMG, I think she'd mad". I know though, what's so important to Yuzu, the quads, and the jumps, and he wants to be the first man to land the quad Axel, which is actually four-and-a-half revolutions, where he steps into it going forward, throws his body into the air. Remember, 4.5 revolutions, you have to have a perfect axis, you have to catch it just right. It's reckless at times, it's always exciting.   

[Q: How do you cope, logistically, with so many people constantly trying to find him?]

Yeah, he has a team around him especially in Japan. For him, to live in Canada, allows him a certain level of autonomy, not a lot, but some, for him and his mom, if they go out in certain areas. For him, he is such a superstar in Japan. I think once he opens that up, the distractions are enormous for him. He sticks to what he does on the ice, he leaves the social media to everybody else. He VERY much limits who he talks to, and he has to. For him to do what's important to him, that is to put the sport first. When you put the sport first, yourself come second, and he lets his skating do the talking.

I was able to follow his rise from a young age. It was right after the tsunami in Japan, the tragedy. As a young athlete living through that experience, how his home in Sendai was devastated, watching what happens to his countrymen, friends and family. It gave him a grounding and maturity that is really exceptional. He's carried that through. He instantly at that time connected with the higher purpose of what he does. Yes it's a sport, yes it's about winning, but for him, it became about how he affected people emotionally, his ability to lift people, to take people out of their troubles for a moment, and move to another place, and find inspiration. He took that very personally.

7 hours ago, MatchaBeans said:

I was able to follow his rise from a young age. It was right after the tsunami in Japan, the tragedy. As a young athlete living through that experience, how his home in Sendai was devastated, watching what happens to his countrymen, friends and family. It gave him a grounding and maturity that is really exceptional. He's carried that through. He instantly at that time connected with the higher purpose of what he does. Yes it's a sport, yes it's about winning, but for him, it became about how he affected people emotionally, his ability to lift people, to take people out of their troubles for a moment, and move to another place, and find inspiration. He took that very personally

In an earlier post I said that Yuzu, because of his experience on the ice at the time of the quake, is unique amongst athletes in the fact that he has encountered the possibility of dying.  He stared death in the face and Yuzu himself has stated that that experience changed him, gave a seriousness to his life that he fundamentally lacked before it.  We see it to this day.  We sense in him great mysterious depths.  Actually everyone has great mysterious deaths.  That's part of being human although those depths are largely unknown even to the individuals themselves.  The thing about Yuzu is that we suspect that those mysterious depths he has themselves have mysterious depths.  He is literally unfathomable.

Has anyone heard of Courtney Milan?

Courtney Milan is the pseudonym of Heidi Bond and is a highly successful historical and contemporary romance novelist.

However, she is much more than that. She is a very intelligent woman and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School. On graduation, she was a federal circuit court and later Supreme Court of the United States clerk. They only pick the top law graduates for these prestigious positions. They basically do all the research for the judges. She later transitioned into the position of a law professor at Seattle University School of Law for three years before becoming a full-time novelist.

She is an advocate of inclusiveness, diversity and the Metoo Movement. Her allegations of sexual harassment by Federal Judge Alex Kozinski brought his retirement from his lifelong appointment and a review by the Chief Justice of the United States John Roberts of how sexual harassment reports are handled in the federal judiciary.

She came to my attention because I received a Google Alert for Yuzuru Hanyu for the following article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/exclusive-constance-wu-celeste-ng-prominent-asian-americans-endorse-elizabeth-n1120721

Constance Wu, Celeste Ng, prominent Asian Americans endorse Elizabeth Warren

More than 100 Asian-American and Pacific Islander creatives, activists, and academics endorsed the Democratic presidential candidate on Thursday.

I thought WTF has any of this to do with Yuzuru Hanyu?

I looked at the list of prominent Asian Americans and came upon Courtney Milan:

Courtney Milan (CO), New York Times best-selling author; Former SCOTUS Clerk Turned #metoo Agitator, #1 Yuzuru Hanyu Fan

This is a very interesting person. Read the Wikipedia article about her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Milan

Courtney Milan is listed in the 30 Romance Authors of Colour You Should Be Reading.

http://twincitiesgeek.com/2019/12/30-romance-authors-of-color-you-should-be-reading/

Author, advocate, attorney, and dinosaur emoji connoisseur. Milan has written both contemporary and historical romance, including the recent Mr. Martin's Incomparable Adventure and The Countess Conspiracy. She also sews replica figure skating outfits for Pooh dolls to throw onto the ice for Yuzuru Hanyu.

She was at the 2019 ACI in Oakville. Her Facebook post of September 14, 2019 about “some thoughts/feelings about the experience of seeing Yuzuru Hanyu in person this week.”

facebook.com/courtneymilanauthor/posts/okay-some-thoughtsfeelings-about-the-experience-of-seeing-yuzuru-hanyu-in-person/2943886545625634/

OK, some thoughts/feelings about the experience of seeing Yuzuru Hanyu in person this week.

1. He is much more magnetic in person than I can describe. It was physically hard to look somewhere else. And it’s not just because I’m totally in the tank for him. I wanted to watch Junhwan’s run through and started doing so, but “bam” back to Yuzu.

2. He’s “really” cute, and I don’t mean his physical features (although that, too) – he has a sense of humor to his physical movements in practice, when he messes something up? It’s like his body expresses what he’s feeling. He tells jokes without words.

3. He’s probably the single most expressive person I have ever seen. His ability to communicate clear thoughts with facial expressions/line of his body/eyes is not paralleled.

There was a point where he pushed right up against the hockey glass, back to it, and stared down at the ice, and just the way it...felt. I knew he was waiting for there to be a clear path so he could to his step sequence, and lo.

I’m not sure “how” he communicated this, but he did.

Yuzu came and leaned against the glass on this side of the arena and the entire audience leaned toward him.

Courtney Milan's Tweet January 8, 2020:

Courtney Milan dedicated her novel Mr. Martin's Incomparable Adventure to Yuzuru Hanyu.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=UCuODwAAQBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=courtney+milan+Yuzuru+Hanyu&source=bl&ots=z68R3_wPOe&sig=ACfU3U2ZomhmsLRAUxdca17yfYMkfV7tgQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5_9q-3JrnAhVOgp4KHWbLC7wQ6AEwEnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=courtney milan Yuzuru Hanyu&f=false

For Yuzuru Hanyu –

the eternal proof that not all men

also a very good source of calming videos

(again the sea of flags from Japan

what can he produce lying in fifth place?)

43 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

Has anyone heard of Courtney Milan?

Courtney Milan is the pseudonym of Heidi Bond and is a highly successful historical and contemporary romance novelist.

However, she is much more than that. She is a very intelligent woman and graduated summa cum laude from the University of Michigan Law School. On graduation, she was a federal circuit court and later Supreme Court of the United States clerk. They only pick the top law graduates for these prestigious positions. They basically do all the research for the judges. She later transitioned into the position of a law professor at Seattle University School of Law for three years before becoming a full-time novelist.

She is an advocate of inclusiveness, diversity and the Metoo Movement. Her allegations of sexual harassment by Federal Judge Alex Kozinski brought his retirement from his lifelong appointment and a review by the Chief Justice of the United States John Roberts of how sexual harassment reports are handled in the federal judiciary.

She came to my attention because I received a Google Alert for Yuzuru Hanyu for the following article:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/exclusive-constance-wu-celeste-ng-prominent-asian-americans-endorse-elizabeth-n1120721

Constance Wu, Celeste Ng, prominent Asian Americans endorse Elizabeth Warren

More than 100 Asian-American and Pacific Islander creatives, activists, and academics endorsed the Democratic presidential candidate on Thursday.

I thought WTF has any of this to do with Yuzuru Hanyu?

I looked at the list of prominent Asian Americans and came upon Courtney Milan:

Courtney Milan (CO), New York Times best-selling author; Former SCOTUS Clerk Turned #metoo Agitator, #1 Yuzuru Hanyu Fan

This is a very interesting person. Read the Wikipedia article about her.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Milan

Courtney Milan is listed in the 30 Romance Authors of Colour You Should Be Reading.

http://twincitiesgeek.com/2019/12/30-romance-authors-of-color-you-should-be-reading/

Author, advocate, attorney, and dinosaur emoji connoisseur. Milan has written both contemporary and historical romance, including the recent Mr. Martin's Incomparable Adventure and The Countess Conspiracy. She also sews replica figure skating outfits for Pooh dolls to throw onto the ice for Yuzuru Hanyu.

She was at the 2019 ACI in Oakville. Her Facebook post of September 14, 2019 about “some thoughts/feelings about the experience of seeing Yuzuru Hanyu in person this week.”

facebook.com/courtneymilanauthor/posts/okay-some-thoughtsfeelings-about-the-experience-of-seeing-yuzuru-hanyu-in-person/2943886545625634/

OK, some thoughts/feelings about the experience of seeing Yuzuru Hanyu in person this week.

1. He is much more magnetic in person than I can describe. It was physically hard to look somewhere else. And it’s not just because I’m totally in the tank for him. I wanted to watch Junhwan’s run through and started doing so, but “bam” back to Yuzu.

2. He’s “really” cute, and I don’t mean his physical features (although that, too) – he has a sense of humor to his physical movements in practice, when he messes something up? It’s like his body expresses what he’s feeling. He tells jokes without words.

3. He’s probably the single most expressive person I have ever seen. His ability to communicate clear thoughts with facial expressions/line of his body/eyes is not paralleled.

There was a point where he pushed right up against the hockey glass, back to it, and stared down at the ice, and just the way it...felt. I knew he was waiting for there to be a clear path so he could to his step sequence, and lo.

I’m not sure “how” he communicated this, but he did.

Yuzu came and leaned against the glass on this side of the arena and the entire audience leaned toward him.

Courtney Milan's Tweet January 8, 2020:

Courtney Milan dedicated her novel Mr. Martin's Incomparable Adventure to Yuzuru Hanyu.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=UCuODwAAQBAJ&pg=PT3&lpg=PT3&dq=courtney+milan+Yuzuru+Hanyu&source=bl&ots=z68R3_wPOe&sig=ACfU3U2ZomhmsLRAUxdca17yfYMkfV7tgQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj5_9q-3JrnAhVOgp4KHWbLC7wQ6AEwEnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=courtney milan Yuzuru Hanyu&f=false

For Yuzuru Hanyu –

the eternal proof that not all men

also a very good source of calming videos

(again the sea of flags from Japan

what can he produce lying in fifth place?)

Oh, i love her! I started following her as she frequently tweets and does live commentary during competitions (including posting great yuzu content, of course!) this past fall and i had no idea she was such a prominent and successful person at the time (even now before reading this i had no idea to which extent). She's super lovely and makes me want to chant "one of us! one of us!" everytime i come across her c: 

My favourite thing is locals under her tweets going (paraphrasing) "oh it's that skater boy you like again, i'm growing rather fond of him" or "i was never interested in figure skating before but your enthusiastic love for that skater boy makes me want to watch" etc, she's a great ambassador for Yuzu haha