General Yuzuru Chat

8 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

There is a good thread for you :idea-007:

We once talked about and tried to define "kuyashii" correctly (I'm not sure when it was).

I myself, as a Japanese, feel it is very difficult to put it in one word like "frustrated" or "regretful".  It has much more broad meaning, like "I'm not satisfied with this performance at all as I should have done better, I will definitely do better next time, I really don't want to feel this way anymore, ......"

Of course "kuyashii" is used when you are feeling jealousy or frustrated as someone else has done better than you or succeeded, or even when richer, but I think it is more reflective, and aggressive at the same time, especially for Yuzuru  :hachimaki:

When you describe it this way, it actually sounds a bit like the English expressions 'I'm fed up!' or 'I've had enough of this!'

2 hours ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hi everyone, this is random but I was just wondering if anyone knows why yuzu isn’t able to do a 4F? Since from what I know the Lutz is a more difficult jump compared to the Flip due to the counter-rotation and all...

Sorry if this is the wrong place for the question! Just kinda curious about this 

I forget which interview it was (maybe after ACI), but sometime in the fall, Yuzu himself said that his flip wasn't great and he sometimes gets edge calls, but that one day he'd like to work on 4F so that he could do all six quads in a program. I don't think he gave a reason for why he didn't think his flip was strong. 

1 hour ago, FlyingCamel said:

Hi everyone, this is random but I was just wondering if anyone knows why yuzu isn’t able to do a 4F? Since from what I know the Lutz is a more difficult jump compared to the Flip due to the counter-rotation and all...

Sorry if this is the wrong place for the question! Just kinda curious about this 

He might be able to, but his flip is historically his weakest triple. He used to have a lip (a Lutz edge on his flip) and he only managed to correct it I think in 2014, which was already a small miracle. It's better now, to the extent that he can do that 4T-3F, but his inside edge is still not the deepest and making it more difficult by turning into a quad might result in an unclear edge or wrong edge call (for Yuzu it would undoubtedly be the latter because he isn't given any leeway) and a loss of points. So maybe he can do one but he doesn't want to put it into competition if it won't be 100% clear, out of steps, with short preparation, done to the music..... XD

That’s why we love him - because he worked hard to correct that lip and wouldn’t be satisfied with a 4 lip either.  It’s annoying that the judges don’t appreciate his efforts but we’re beyond that now - just grateful for every performance.

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I know, right? When you see it in person it's almost like he's flying. Like really flying, like a bird. 

People talk about 1-foot-skating and 2-foot-skating. In Yuzu's case you can also measure the ratio of 0-foot-skating. It might be bigger than you think :xD:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

People talk about 1-foot-skating and 2-foot-skating. In Yuzu's case you can also measure the ratio of 0-foot-skating. It might be bigger than you think :xD:

No kidding! It's like the guy studies levitation in his spare time. :bee-smiley:

8 hours ago, Veveco said:

Is this new or did I miss it before? Zuzu is on fire. Ganbatte Nippon!! :003:

He's really selling it! Makes me think he'd be an amazing coach some day. Imagine the pep talks! Sounds like he said something along the lines of  "Strongest Japan, each and everyone one of you turn the pressure into strength, everybody as one, do your best, Japan."

14 hours ago, fyere0 said:

He might be able to, but his flip is historically his weakest triple. He used to have a lip (a Lutz edge on his flip) and he only managed to correct it I think in 2014, which was already a small miracle. It's better now, to the extent that he can do that 4T-3F, but his inside edge is still not the deepest and making it more difficult by turning into a quad might result in an unclear edge or wrong edge call (for Yuzu it would undoubtedly be the latter because he isn't given any leeway) and a loss of points. So maybe he can do one but he doesn't want to put it into competition if it won't be 100% clear, out of steps, with short preparation, done to the music..... XD

He did say he's been training 4F so it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly the case - he can do it but he just won't put it into competition (yet).