General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, Fay said:

Unfortunately, not everyone can read this 

This is a remarkable (and very long) essay by someone who is familiar with Noh, and she makes many references to Noh terms that will require an expertise in this art form in order to do justice to interpret.  (The twitter OP Elanvital is making an effort to read up on Noh techniques - and I am hoping she will eventually be able to do the translation.) 

The title of the essay is: 鬼たちに捧ぐ  羽生結弦に幽玄を見た日   

A tribute to the demons:  the day I perceived "Yugen" in Hanyu Yuzuru 

Yugen 幽玄  refers to the Japanese aesthetics of the deep awareness of universe.   Here is a link that explains the term more fully:  

https://creativesystemsthinking.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/yugen-幽玄-deep-awareness-of-the-universe/

Some of the key paragraphs offer deeply insightful interpretation of "Origin" - from a uniquely Noh perspective.   Here is just a taste:  the essay makes reference to Origin as having 序破急 - Jo-ha-kyu - a Noh term of for "a concept of modulation and movement applied in a wide variety of traditional Japanese arts. Roughly translated to "beginning, break, rapid", it essentially means that all actions or efforts should begin slowly, speed up, and then end swiftly" (from Wikipedia).   

There is no clear cut break from one movement to the next and one is not aware of when one movement transitions from one to the other seamlessly.  

嫋嫋(じょうじょう)と波紋のように空中に放たれる律動は音楽や観客のどよめきをからめとり、共鳴し、膨張し、止めどなく広がってアリーナの大空間に充満する。

The sentence is poetic and difficult to translate - but the basic meaning is as follows:  The elastic rhythm (of the performance/music) that is released and ripples through the air entwines with the roar of the audience and echoes and expands to fill the large space of the arena.  

The essay captures the organic and complex nature of Hanyu's performance, and how he captures the essense of Noh performance that breathes in and out like nature.  There is a lot more and I hope Elanvital or someone else more used to translating Noh terms could make an effort! 

15 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

This is a remarkable (and very long) essay by someone who is familiar with Noh, and she makes many references to Noh terms that will require an expertise in this art form in order to do justice to interpret.  (The twitter OP Elanvital is making an effort to read up on Noh techniques - and I am hoping she will eventually be able to do the translation.) 

The title of the essay is: 鬼たちに捧ぐ  羽生結弦に幽玄を見た日   

A tribute to the demons:  the day I perceived "Yugen" in Hanyu Yuzuru 

Yugen 幽玄  refers to the Japanese aesthetics of the deep awareness of universe.   Here is a link that explains the term more fully:  

https://creativesystemsthinking.wordpress.com/2014/12/13/yugen-幽玄-deep-awareness-of-the-universe/

Some of the key paragraphs offer deeply insightful interpretation of "Origin" - from a uniquely Noh perspective.   Here is just a taste:  the essay makes reference to Origin as having 序破急 - Jo-ha-kyu - a Noh term of for "a concept of modulation and movement applied in a wide variety of traditional Japanese arts. Roughly translated to "beginning, break, rapid", it essentially means that all actions or efforts should begin slowly, speed up, and then end swiftly" (from Wikipedia).   

There is no clear cut break from one movement to the next and one is not aware of when one movement transitions from one to the other seamlessly.  

嫋嫋(じょうじょう)と波紋のように空中に放たれる律動は音楽や観客のどよめきをからめとり、共鳴し、膨張し、止めどなく広がってアリーナの大空間に充満する。

The sentence is poetic and difficult to translate - but the basic meaning is as follows:  The elastic rhythm (of the performance/music) that is released and ripples through the air entwines with the roar of the audience and echoes and expands to fill the large space of the arena.  

The essay captures the organic and complex nature of Hanyu's performance, and how he captures the essense of Noh performance that breathes in and out like nature.  There is a lot more and I hope Elanvital or someone else more used to translating Noh terms could make an effort! 

More on Yugen - because the term really captures the essence of what Hanyu is trying to convey through his performance of Hope & Legacy and Origin - from the same website on Yugen quoted above. 

"Japanese aesthetic ideals are most heavily influenced by Japanese Buddhism. In the Buddhist tradition, all things are considered as either evolving from or dissolving into nothingness. This “nothingness” is not empty space. It is rather a space of potentiality.

If the seas represent potential then each thing is like a wave arising from it and returning to it. There are no permanent waves. There are no perfect waves. At no point is a wave complete, even at its peak." 

4小時前, Umebachi說:

More on Yugen - because the term really captures the essence of what Hanyu is trying to convey through his performance of Hope & Legacy and Origin - from the same website on Yugen quoted above. 

"Japanese aesthetic ideals are most heavily influenced by Japanese Buddhism. In the Buddhist tradition, all things are considered as either evolving from or dissolving into nothingness. This “nothingness” is not empty space. It is rather a space of potentiality.

If the seas represent potential then each thing is like a wave arising from it and returning to it. There are no permanent waves. There are no perfect waves. At no point is a wave complete, even at its peak." 

As a learner of Japanese, I want to ask if Yugen is also another pronunciation of Yuzuru's kanji?:rolleyes: I am sometimes confused with when the long vowels should be used.:rolleye0008:

9 minutes ago, CaroSkate said:

As a learner of Japanese, I want to ask if Yugen is also another pronunciation of Yuzuru's kanji?:rolleyes: I am sometimes confused with when the long vowels should be used.:rolleye0008:

No, they are totally different.  Yugen is written 幽玄

Here again is the link in English which provides a good introductory explanation.  But it's worth exploring the use of the term in different contexts.  I think the term captures very well the aesthetics of Hanyu-senshu's programs, especially Hope & Legacy and Origin.  

5分鐘前, Umebachi說:

No, they are totally different.  Yugen is written 幽玄

Here again is the link in English which provides a good introductory explanation.  But it's worth exploring the use of the term in different contexts.  I think the term captures very well the aesthetics of Hanyu-senshu's programs, especially Hope & Legacy and Origin.  

Sorry I mean the pronunciation. Can 結弦 be read as "yugen"?

16 minutes ago, CaroSkate said:

Sorry I mean the pronunciation. Can 結弦 be read as "yugen"?

No, the pronunciation is different.  I should have written Yuu-gen - it's a long yuu, while Yuzuru's Yu is a short yu, coming from the word

結いる (Yuiru) meaning to tie.  In English the difference may seem slight but in Japanese the difference in pronunciation is significant.  Also, we don't mix Chinese reading with Japanese reading of kanji - which would be the case if you force the pronunciation "yu-gen" for Yuzuru.    Sorry, it's going off topic a bit, but then again, we are still talking about Yuzu!  

7分鐘前, Umebachi說:

No, the pronunciation is different.  I should have written Yuu-gen - it's a long yuu, while Yuzuru's Yu is a short yu, coming from the word

結いる (Yuiru) meaning to tie.  In English the difference may seem slight but in Japanese the difference in pronunciation is significant.  Also, we don't mix Chinese reading with Japanese reading of kanji - which would be the case if you force the pronunciation "yu-gen" for Yuzuru.    Sorry, it's going off topic a bit, but then again, we are still talking about Yuzu!  

I see, thanks a lot. I am really confused about the long vowels sometimes. Sorry about bringing it off topic:81:

8 hours ago, kingbanana said:

I am obsessed with this tango piece "por una cabeza" and can't help but dream of Yuzu skating to it. Any tango really please Yuzuru grace us with tango 🙏

Por una cabeza is my all-time favorite music piece. Love the tango scene in Scent of a Woman :loveeyes:

EDIT: I just couldn't resist to share this legendary scene. Al Pacino playing the blind and retired Army Ranger, Lieutenant Colonel Frank Slade, is unmached :LOL:

16 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I think it's an internet game on Twitter that the Japanese fans are doing...they've taken photos of Habu-san* and Yuzu in similar poses and put them together for comedic effect. 

*Habu-san is a famous Japanese shogi player/ personality whose name is spelled with the exact same kanji as Yuzu's. And he's a big Yuzu fan. His wife has said in an interview that he gets excited every time he sees the Hanyu kanji in the newspaper, but when it turns out to be a story about himself instead, his excitement turns into disappointment right away. They famously met at the Emperor's garden party after the 2018 Olympics. Habu-san has also won the People's Honor award, just like Hanyu. 

His name is Yoshiharu Habu, just in case you want to know. Btw, had been experiencing some technical issues with the forum too. I sincerely hope the admins have now stabilized and secured the site's current status.

11 minutes ago, Cynthia said:

His name is Yoshiharu Habu, just in case you want to know. Btw, had been experiencing some technical issues with the forum too. I sincerely hope the admins have now stabilized and secured the site's current status

1 hour ago, kingbanana said:

I am obsessed with this tango piece "por una cabeza" and can't help but dream of Yuzu skating to it. Any tango really please Yuzuru grace us with tango 🙏

I can't hear that music without seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis' tango in True Lies. 

Okay I have no idea why my post did this.