General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Vadrouille said:

Thank you to reply to my post and explaining the honesty or self-criticism is part of the Japanese culture or their way of talking in public. I respect their culture but I don't agree with it. For me it is negative, self-inflicting pain to say it in public, before the press, the world to hear.

I would prefer he is more restrained when doing press conference. One does not have to undress or barring oneself before the press, discussing each and every weaknesses in detail, knowing that those words will hurt oneself and many people around him. I think that Brian may not like those comments of Yuzuru in his press conference- post competitions, but Brian can't do anything, he can't even advice Yuzuru not to say it like that.

How the judges can think of Yuzuru after hearing themselves in direct so many self-criticism of himself in press conferences post competitions? It is not the way to endearing himself to the judges and the press in general.

My understanding is they adopt his self-criticism and agree with him that he is not a good skater, not a good jumper, that his jumps are not as good as Chen's or Trusova's. The judges don't need emails or politicking against Yuzuru by Chen's supporters or US skating federation. From now on, they will judge Yuzuru harsher than other skaters, they will put him down compared to Chen, or even to Shoma. Plus the tendency of Yuzuru to repeat his music, his programs more that one year or two years, to make his competitive programs a masterpiece, an artwork. The judges don't like to hear the same music many times. They could think that Yuzuru is lazy to learn new programs. Even his Exhibition programs are old, always the same melody, for many years now.

By the way, I have watch the interview of Russian ladies Anna-Alina and Trusova after competitions. They are very good in their answers. One journalist, maybe from Japanese media, asked them what they think about doping scandal, that Russian team may not be permitted to competitions in next Olympics etc... I also heard that Eugenia Med will skate next year, that she will have new Free program skating to Allegria music of Cirque du Soleil. I say good for her, she is brave, beautiful and determined to skate against all the difficulties she has encountered. I like her spirit, no shame, no self-inflicted pain, just being honest and courageous like she is.

I think everyone has their own perspective, based on their own experiences and the culture they grew up in, but maybe your thoughts are more negative than the reality warrants, taking into account a broader perspective.

Self-criticism: seems to me that the vast majority of skaters don't brag about themselves in press conferences, as others have said. If things went well a skater will say they're happy with their performance and hope to continue to do better. If there were mistakes, they talk about how they plan to work on it so it doesn't happen again. At GPF Nathan said something to the effect that he is still trying to reach Yuzu's level of artistry (which I thought threw a bit of shade at the judges giving Joke Marks in PCS for Nathan higher than Yuzu). Do I think judges will take a cue from that and increase Yuzu's PCS and decrease Nathan's?? Hahaha, No!

Repeating programs: we've talked alot about how good or bad this is, how the judge's may or may not like it. Everyone has their own opinion, and maybe judges care or maybe they don't, we can't really know. But I think if 3 different skaters all skate to the same music (what is it about Schindler's List this year??) during the same competition it is MUCH more tiresome than one skater using the same music for 2 years straight. For one thing, you then have a comparison in one afternoon/evening between the 3 skaters with the same music- who did it better? Compared to a skater repeating last year's program- if you are a judge, did you see it at all last year? If you did judge a competition Yuzu was at, it was probably just one, since he only did 4 competitions last year. If you only saw it once last year, how much of it are you going to remember? I doubt judges spend a lot of time rewatching performances  on Youtube (like we do :-) ).

As I said, this is all a matter of personal opinion, there are no right or wrong answers. But I hate to see someone so down on Yuzu's future, thinking he is shooting himself in the foot/ankle (*sorry, bad joke, LOL, knock on wood and all that!) with his own 'poor choices', when from HIS perspective- this is the path he wants to take. He has thought about ALL of this 10,000 times more than we have, and whenever I have doubts I always fall back to...

TRUST YUZURU!!! 

2 hours ago, Vadrouille said:

Thank you to reply to my post and explaining the honesty or self-criticism is part of the Japanese culture or their way of talking in public. I respect their culture but I don't agree with it. For me it is negative, self-inflicting pain to say it in public, before the press, the world to hear.

I would prefer he is more restrained when doing press conference. One does not have to undress or barring oneself before the press, discussing each and every weaknesses in detail, knowing that those words will hurt oneself and many people around him. I think that Brian may not like those comments of Yuzuru in his press conference- post competitions, but Brian can't do anything, he can't even advice Yuzuru not to say it like that.

How the judges can think of Yuzuru after hearing themselves in direct so many self-criticism of himself in press conferences post competitions? It is not the way to endearing himself to the judges and the press in general.

My understanding is they adopt his self-criticism and agree with him that he is not a good skater, not a good jumper, that his jumps are not as good as Chen's or Trusova's. The judges don't need emails or politicking against Yuzuru by Chen's supporters or US skating federation. From now on, they will judge Yuzuru harsher than other skaters, they will put him down compared to Chen, or even to Shoma. Plus the tendency of Yuzuru to repeat his music, his programs more that one year or two years, to make his competitive programs a masterpiece, an artwork. The judges don't like to hear the same music many times. They could think that Yuzuru is lazy to learn new programs. Even his Exhibition programs are old, always the same melody, for many years now.

By the way, I have watch the interview of Russian ladies Anna-Alina and Trusova after competitions. They are very good in their answers. One journalist, maybe from Japanese media, asked them what they think about doping scandal, that Russian team may not be permitted to competitions in next Olympics etc... I also heard that Eugenia Med will skate next year, that she will have new Free program skating to Allegria music of Cirque du Soleil. I say good for her, she is brave, beautiful and determined to skate against all the difficulties she has encountered. I like her spirit, no shame, no self-inflicted pain, just being honest and courageous like she is.

I think I understand part of what you're trying to say. You seem to be saying that you think that Yuzuru, by pointing out the weak places in his skating during press conferences, is giving the judges ammunition to justify scoring him poorly. I can see why you'd think that way, but I don't agree with your opinion. 

https://youtu.be/MvNEQaLOSM4

I am not sure if this is the right place & topic and apologise if it is not, but have you seen this interview?.. It makes me sick with worry, so I just have to share... how he talks with a kind of sad determination that it is the time to jump the 4A, and how the candle burns the brightest near the end and he's scared of the moment when it will completely burn out... and the Ashita no Joe reference...😭 at least he laughs at the end, but there's nothing funny there... I'm hoping with all my might that the universe keeps him, an amazing treasure that he is, safe 🙏💜💖

First post! Sorry it's a little long. Thanks for letting me orbit the planet with you!

Programs and music have come up a few times lately...

On 12/29/2019 at 3:58 AM, mmmrazorz said:

So i suggest if you guys want to brainwash your friends into loving yuzuru, start with these 4, barcelona seimei, sc origin, sc pw, and notte stellata pyeongchang. Especially for casual viewer who can't tell the difference between jumps (tbh i still cant tell which one is salchow, toe, etc the only recognizable jump for me is axel...)

Tbh first time i watch H&L i thought it was kinda bland especially after watching seimei, origin, notte and pw.....

7 hours ago, Vadrouille said:

I am a fan of Yuzuru, but I have to admit I am not interested for the music he chooses to skate to. I prefer western music to oriental music, sorry to admit that because I know that many of his fans like Seimei, Hope and Legacy or all other show programs using Japanese music and singers live with Japanese lyrics.

...and it crystallized something I felt while watching a bunch of videos getting up to speed as a new fan. With most skaters, how I feel about their music makes little difference in what I think of their program, but it does make a difference with Yuzuru. I think this is because most skaters either skate with music playing in the background or skate to the music, but Yuzuru skates with the music. In the first case, the skater is doing what they do and there's music playing at the same time, but there's little connection between the skater's motion and the music. In the second case, the skater matches much of their motion to the timing of the music and in some instances this reaches a level of musicality where they are also interpreting the music, using their skating to highlight or communicate something specific in the music. For me, Yuzuru does something more: he uses his skating to weave together the music, the feelings of the audience, and his own feelings into something greater than its individual parts. It's part of the reason why two performances of the same program can feel very different, because the audience and Yuzuru are different every time. (I hope someday to experience this in person.)

Or as rockstar said much more succinctly and eloquently:

On 12/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes! I feel this. When I watch him skate, I strongly feel that he is trying to communicate something important with all his might. 

All great artists do this. 

Because H&L's music is quite different from what I usually listen to, I had to watch it several times before I understood and could feel its music, and it wasn't until I did that I really liked the program itself. (And learning more about skating helped, too.) So I think "gateway" programs like Notte and Seimei appeal to a lot of people in part because their musical language is familiar to many (although I don't know much about music theory so my opinion is informed only by my own experience).

On 12/29/2019 at 9:13 AM, Jenny_Crux said:

I don't know where to post this but I just want your opinion. (also posted on general chat...I don't know if it is allowed there)

Am I really weird if I will say that it hurts everytime I read something about Yuzu-senshu and the unfair judgement and criticism. I dunno. Maybe because this is my first time following and got hooked into an athlete that is why I am still new to these stuff.

He is an amazing athlete and also a very good person. He is so pure and innocent. You can see it in his expression, his smile, the way he talks, maybe that's why its sad to read stuff about Yuzu being over-competitive and loves to win. Well he is an athlete. Every athlete definitely loves to win. But Yuzu's determinatfion is very unique. Maybe that is why a lot of fanyus love him.

Am I just exaggerating or someone else also feels the same way as me?

The news about Yuzu being unfairly judged is really heartbreaking. I don't know if they are being personal about it and they want to ruin Yuzu or they just think that what Yuzu is doing is still not enough. It just hurts...really hurts.

Well, that's all...I guess. Feel free admins to pm me if this post is irrelevant here.

Thank you:headdesk:

Welcome to the Planet! I've moved this to the General Yuzuru Chat :)

8 hours ago, Vadrouille said:

Sorry I hurt your feelings with my franc post.  My apologies for that.

I just comment on the Recap on Japanese and Russian Championships on YouTube by Fran, a fan of Yuzuru, that's why she commented the 2 competitions in the same Recap. She also made a Recap on GPF at which she went in Torino. Also because of that Recap I said something about the Russian ladies and Eugenia in the same post. I am sorry for the impression that my post seems to compare Eugenia and Yuzuru, or Trusova and Yuzuru. Absolutely no comparison at all between Yuzuru and Trusova or Evgenia at all in my mind, or in Fran mind on YouTube.

To be honest, I am fan of Yuzuru only, not a fan of anybody else, men or ladies skaters.  I may like Russian ladies, I appreciate their talent or their efforts, but that's it, no passion at all, no mental and sentimental engagement on my mind.

For me, I am a fan of Yuzuru only, not a fan of figure skating at large.

Absolutely I don't intend to compare Yuzuru with Trusova or Evgenia at all. I just mentioned that I respect the spirit of Evgenia who declared right after her WD that she will continue to skate next year, despite all her hardships and difficulties. It happened in the Recap, so I wrote about it.

It's an Asian trait, more so Japanese. You dont see Nathan saying he's good in this & that. The whole time of the GPF press con, Yuzuru & Nathan were complimenting each other back & forth. Very Asian.

As for Yuzuru, he's been talking abt his faults/mistakes since he turned senior. That didnt stop him from winning 2 OG Golds, 2 World titles and I think 4 GPF titles. 

At Japan Nationals, Shoma as the winner was also reflective of his own shortcomings while being happy he came out of a rut. And of course praised his senior, Yuzu kun.

I would say all the Japanese skaters talk similarly. If they dont do well, they are kuyashi. If they win, they still will say they need to improve their weaknesses.

You should see the interviews with the other Japanese men, how they are constantly compared to Yuzuru, how they often feel they dont measure up. The latest is Koshiro Shimada, Sota Yamamoto. 

7 hours ago, Annie19 said:

https://youtu.be/MvNEQaLOSM4

I am not sure if this is the right place & topic and apologise if it is not, but have you seen this interview?.. It makes me sick with worry, so I just have to share... how he talks with a kind of sad determination that it is the time to jump the 4A, and how the candle burns the brightest near the end and he's scared of the moment when it will completely burn out... and the Ashita no Joe reference...😭 at least he laughs at the end, but there's nothing funny there... I'm hoping with all my might that the universe keeps him, an amazing treasure that he is, safe 🙏💜💖

Yeah, this really surprised me. He looked so exhausted and depressed in this video, as if he's already burned out and he's just forcing himself to improve and compete with Nathan. I thought now that he had achieved his dream of winning back to back OGM, he would skate for the fun of it more. I'm also really worried about the Ashita no Joe reference, where Joe dies after winning his final match and giving his all to boxing. I really hope he's skating for himself and for his own enjoyment, but not for the fans, his country, or anyone else. 

1 hour ago, kai2718 said:

Yeah, this really surprised me. He looked so exhausted and depressed in this video, as if he's already burned out and he's just forcing himself to improve and compete with Nathan... I really hope he's skating for himself and for his own enjoyment, but not for the fans, his country, or anyone else. 

Sadly, he did make mention that he most likely would be retired if not for Nathan pushing the bar a bit to make him feel compelled to match it. His competitive streak is no joke, nor is his determination and I feel he has that goal in mind now: 4A and matching Nathan. 

He doesnt strike me as the type of person who can relax for long. He says he was doing this season more for fun/himself. However, I think the truth of the matter is if that were all, he would have burned out by now. He cant take things easy his mind and ambition are too alert on what everyone else is doing for that, a relaxed time, to last long.

2 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

I don't know if this has been posted, but it's an interesting test:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/henryclay666/which-figure-skater-are-you-f3tjyvp274?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bfsharecopy&quiz_result=122837221_367970475#122837221

I am posting just to brag about the fact that I got Yuzu.

Me too. I don't like that they said he cries when he loses though. He's more likely to cry when he wins! 

About the Ashita no Joe reference: I know Yuzu freaked people out when he said that, but come on, do you really think he meant it literally? I think he just meant that he's gone beyond what he ever thought he would do, and it's harder than expected, but he isn't giving up because he's determined to win.