General Yuzuru Chat

4 hours ago, Alexis219 said:

I'm more of a casual follower, and a new one at that, but what may be my all-time favorite to make me cry every time I rewatch is Cup of China 2014. I just feel so touched every time he got back up. Blood, sweat, and tears in its literal form!

My heart breaks again and again. I still can't believe he was medically cleared to skate. 

4 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Oh, you're so brave. I watched that once and could never bring myself to do it a second time. It upsets me so much seeing him get so injured and lying there on the ice gasping, trying to catch his breath. He was very brave to skate after that, but also it was a mad thing to do. 

On a related note, I'm really glad Skate Canada has introduced a new rule that allows a referee to stop a skate in the middle in order to examine a skater for concussion if they have a bad fall and hit their head, and decide whether or not to let the skater continue.  It's about time, and I hope other feds follow suit.

I can't believe he was cleared to skate, either. But we know more about concussions now than we did even then. And it was his choice. If a referee stepped in to stop our guy, I wonder what he would have done. Canada has so much more experience with concussions and the dangers associated with them, especially repeated ones, because of hockey and soccer and football.   It's tragic what occurs in people, mostly men, who have had their brains so severely damaged after multiple concussions - or even one. (Makes me glad my son wasn't that keen on hard impact sports....)   But, no more collisions for Yuzuru.  No more injuries, period.

On 12/29/2019 at 8:05 AM, CaroSkate said:

I think those people just have different interests, which is completely normal. Like me, I always have zero interest in basketball and football though they are very popular in my city.

My boyfriend doesn't really care for figure skating but he likes Haru yo koi and Seimei. He thinks Yuzu's hydroblades are super cool and beautiful so he always laughs at my poor attempts.

:xD:

I have interest in figure skating. I watch skating more or less since long time ago, just on tv or for championships. I start to watch more frequently since 2012 when I saw Yuzuru in Nice skating to Romeo and Juliet. Since then,  I made efforts to go to competitions in Canada or in Europe when I can to watch Yuzuru. I am a fan of Yuzuru, but I have to admit I am not interested for the music he chooses to skate to. I prefer western music to oriental music, sorry to admit that because I know that many of his fans like Seimei, Hope and Legacy or all other show programs using Japanese music and singers live with Japanese lyrics.

I prefer Notte Stellato to Requiem or Haru for example.

Another thing I don't like very much is Yuzuru repeating the same music or the same programs many times, for many years , even if he made little changes in them. Not the best way to attract more people in it.

Yesterday, I listen to a Recap of Fran on YouTube after GPF and after Russian and Japanese Nationals. She is a big fan of Yuzuru like us.

She has mentioned one thing she found not very PR from Yuzuru about the honesty, self criticizing, too much underestimating himself of Yuzuru in many interviews with the press including international and Japanese . For example, he mentioned that Trusova is a better skater than him, she did better quads than him. I can't understand that. If he is honest, really I don't understand his honesty.

For us who live in Europe or America, this way of humble, self critical, self underestimate is very strange. It is like he try to make the press and other people believe that he is not a good skater, he is not deserving his medals. I would not do it to myself, even if I am humble, ordinary person, not an arrogant person, not a remarkable person myself. How can he try to convince the judges that he is a good skater, that he is the best? There is no merit, no gain to do underestimating, self criticism, in public relations.

I love Yuzuru like my son, but I have to disagree with him on many things.

Happy New Year.

1 hour ago, Vadrouille said:

I have interest in figure skating. I watch skating more or less since long time ago, just on tv or for championships. I start to watch more frequently since 2012 when I saw Yuzuru in Nice skating to Romeo and Juliet. Since then,  I made efforts to go to competitions in Canada or in Europe when I can to watch Yuzuru. I am a fan of Yuzuru, but I have to admit I am not interested for the music he chooses to skate to. I prefer western music to oriental music, sorry to admit that because I know that many of his fans like Seimei, Hope and Legacy or all other show programs using Japanese music and singers live with Japanese lyrics.

Another thing I don't like very much is Yuzuru repeating the same music or the same programs many times, for many years , even if he made little changes in them. Not the best way to attract more people in it.

Yesterday, I listen to a Recap of Fran on YouTube after GPF and after Russian and Japanese Nationals. She is a big fan of Yuzuru like us.

She has mentioned one thing she found not very PR from Yuzuru about the honesty, self criticizing, too much underestimating himself of Yuzuru in many interviews with the press including international and Japanese . For example, he mentioned that Trusova is a better skater than him, she did better quads than him. I can't understand that. If he is honest, really I don't understand his honesty.

For us who live in Europe or America, this way of humble, self critical, self underestimate is very strange. It is like he try to make the press and other people believe that he is not a good skater, he is not deserving his medals. I would not do it to myself, even if I am humble, ordinary person, not an arrogant person, not a remarkable person myself. How can he try to convince the judges that he is a good skater, that he is the best? There is no merit, no gain to do underestimating, self criticism, in public relations.

Happy New Year.

I think first and foremost that Yuzuru is genuine when he criticizes himself : I think it comes partially from the Japanese culture  (I remember when I took Japanese lessons at uni when I was told that Japanese people never boasted about being good at something and were always very humble about their achievements : it is so engrained in the language and the culture that it becomes almost automatic (of course Japanese people on this forum can correct me if I’m wrong but that’s the perception I have). And for second, Yuzuru is such a perfectionist that he always sees the areas where he could do better and never satisfies himself with what he can already do. It is both admirable and sometimes maddening because of course we can see his many qualities with our own eyes, but that’s who he is and what makes him great. It also explains why he repeats his programmes : he wants to create masterpieces, works of art, not simply skate for skating sake. But, as you say, people who are not acquainted with his work ethic and mindset might end up not understanding him...

IMO a lot of the self-criticisms Yuzu makes are more like analyses of his performance. He might sound like he's beating himself up but I'm not convinced he means it in that way. It's "I did this, this, and this wrong", not "I'm such a terrible failure". Most of the time anyway. 

15 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

IMO a lot of the self-criticisms Yuzu makes are more like analyses of his performance. He might sound like he's beating himself up but I'm not convinced he means it in that way. It's "I did this, this, and this wrong", not "I'm such a terrible failure". Most of the time anyway. 

Agreed.  It's self-analysis out loud.  And he is Japanese so he is never going to boast about doing things beautifully, even when it's obvious to everyone else (except a few really bias and annoying judges).  Of course, we all still feel sad when he does, when he thinks he has disappointed US. He never disappoints us, only himself.

2小時前, Vadrouille說:

Happy New Year.

I admit that I want Yuzu to have more new programs but usually I like the revisited versions more than the first ones, like Chopin and Origin.

Regarding the self critical part, it is probably rooted in the culture and may lead to bad PR. However, it seems to be because Yuzu's standard of an ideal skater is so high that it is almost unrealistic. Anything below that standard is weak to him. I remember he once said in Kenji's room that a truly strong person would do well in any circumstances. I think that is why he thought he was weak that he underperformed due to exhaustion. We may be worried that he is too harsh on himself but that is why he is still motivated after his two Olympic Gold medals.

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Thank you to reply to my post and explaining the honesty or self-criticism is part of the Japanese culture or their way of talking in public. I respect their culture but I don't agree with it. For me it is negative, self-inflicting pain to say it in public, before the press, the world to hear.

I would prefer he is more restrained when doing press conference. One does not have to undress or barring oneself before the press, discussing each and every weaknesses in detail, knowing that those words will hurt oneself and many people around him. I think that Brian may not like those comments of Yuzuru in his press conference- post competitions, but Brian can't do anything, he can't even advice Yuzuru not to say it like that.

How the judges can think of Yuzuru after hearing themselves in direct so many self-criticism of himself in press conferences post competitions? It is not the way to endearing himself to the judges and the press in general.

My understanding is they adopt his self-criticism and agree with him that he is not a good skater, not a good jumper, that his jumps are not as good as Chen's or Trusova's. The judges don't need emails or politicking against Yuzuru by Chen's supporters or US skating federation. From now on, they will judge Yuzuru harsher than other skaters, they will put him down compared to Chen, or even to Shoma. Plus the tendency of Yuzuru to repeat his music, his programs more that one year or two years, to make his competitive programs a masterpiece, an artwork. The judges don't like to hear the same music many times. They could think that Yuzuru is lazy to learn new programs. Even his Exhibition programs are old, always the same melody, for many years now.

By the way, I have watch the interview of Russian ladies Anna-Alina and Trusova after competitions. They are very good in their answers. One journalist, maybe from Japanese media, asked them what they think about doping scandal, that Russian team may not be permitted to competitions in next Olympics etc... I also heard that Eugenia Med will skate next year, that she will have new Free program skating to Allegria music of Cirque du Soleil. I say good for her, she is brave, beautiful and determined to skate against all the difficulties she has encountered. I like her spirit, no shame, no self-inflicted pain, just being honest and courageous like she is.

23 minutes ago, Vadrouille said:

Thank you to reply to my post and explaining the honesty or self-criticism is part of the Japanese culture or their way of talking in public. I respect their culture but I don't agree with it. For me it is negative, self-inflicting pain to say it in public, before the press, the world to hear.

I would prefer he is more restrained when doing press conference. One does not have to undress or barring oneself before the press, discussing each and every weaknesses in detail, knowing that those words will hurt oneself and many people around him. I think that Brian may not like those comments of Yuzuru in his press conference- post competitions, but Brian can't do anything, he can't even advice Yuzuru not to say it like that.

How the judges can think of Yuzuru after hearing themselves in direct so many self-criticism of himself in press conferences post competitions? It is not the way to endearing himself to the judges and the press in general.

My understanding is they adopt his self-criticism and agree with him that he is not a good skater, not a good jumper, that his jumps are not as good as Chen's or Trusova's. The judges don't need emails or politicking against Yuzuru by Chen's supporters or US skating federation. From now on, they will judge Yuzuru harsher than other skaters, they will put him down compared to Chen, or even to Shoma. Plus the tendency of Yuzuru to repeat his music, his programs more that one year or two years, to make his competitive programs a masterpiece, an artwork. The judges don't like to hear the same music many times. They could think that Yuzuru is lazy to learn new programs. Even his Exhibition programs are old, always the same melody, for many years now.

By the way, I have watch the interview of Russian ladies Anna-Alina and Trusova after competitions. They are very good in their answers. One journalist, maybe from Japanese media, asked them what they think about doping scandal, that Russian team may not be permitted to competitions in next Olympics etc... I also heard that Eugenia Med will skate next year, that she will have new Free program skating to Allegria music of Cirque du Soleil. I say good for her, she is brave, beautiful and determined to skate against all the difficulties she has encountered. I like her spirit, no shame, no self-inflicted pain, just being honest and courageous like she is.

No offence but sort of criticizing Yuzu's humility and recycling and ending your point with praising Zhenya for trying new programs and for Zhenya being honest, courageous does not sound very good in a Hanyu fan forum. For a split second I thought I was reading a Zhenya fan post in a Zhenya fan forum.... 😟

I know you like Zhenya but criticizing a whole list things about Yuzu and then ending with a whole list of things Zhenya is doing great does not sound very good when they are put together. It almost seems like you are comparing Yuzu with Zhenya and saying Zhenya is better.

I don't get it, Yuzuru never beat himself just to say  "I'm such a bad skater, I'm the worst, I shouldn't skate anymore, please give evrything to Nathan". Most of the time, he's just being lucid bout his performances. He never says "I'm so bad, I'm a bad jumper" he usually states that he made mistakes, that he can do better, and that he will continue to train hard. That's basically what comes out every single press conference. When he performs well, he just says he's pleased and will try to get better everytime, which is something very standard to say. I don't think it's bad PR to say you skated poorly to your standards, and I honestly; I would not want him to brag, he wouldn't do it because he's Hanyu, but just some positive words would make people jump at him for being arrogant and everything :shrug: 

And I would like to point out how hard it is for Hanyu to be under such media attention, that he always have to weight every single word. I mean, at GPF I would have jumped at the journalist that picked him on his face expression during press conference being softer or harder than usual or something like that. Seriously, what's the point, other than putting up public pressure during an interview ???? 

Sorry I hurt your feelings with my franc post.  My apologies for that.

I just comment on the Recap on Japanese and Russian Championships on YouTube by Fran, a fan of Yuzuru, that's why she commented the 2 competitions in the same Recap. She also made a Recap on GPF at which she went in Torino. Also because of that Recap I said something about the Russian ladies and Eugenia in the same post. I am sorry for the impression that my post seems to compare Eugenia and Yuzuru, or Trusova and Yuzuru. Absolutely no comparison at all between Yuzuru and Trusova or Evgenia at all in my mind, or in Fran mind on YouTube.

To be honest, I am fan of Yuzuru only, not a fan of anybody else, men or ladies skaters.  I may like Russian ladies, I appreciate their talent or their efforts, but that's it, no passion at all, no mental and sentimental engagement on my mind.

For me, I am a fan of Yuzuru only, not a fan of figure skating at large.

Absolutely I don't intend to compare Yuzuru with Trusova or Evgenia at all. I just mentioned that I respect the spirit of Evgenia who declared right after her WD that she will continue to skate next year, despite all her hardships and difficulties. It happened in the Recap, so I wrote about it.