General Yuzuru Chat

I don't know where to post this but I just want your opinion. (also posted on general chat...I don't know if it is allowed there)

Am I really weird if I will say that it hurts everytime I read something about Yuzu-senshu and the unfair judgement and criticism. I dunno. Maybe because this is my first time following and got hooked into an athlete that is why I am still new to these stuff.

He is an amazing athlete and also a very good person. He is so pure and innocent. You can see it in his expression, his smile, the way he talks, maybe that's why its sad to read stuff about Yuzu being over-competitive and loves to win. Well he is an athlete. Every athlete definitely loves to win. But Yuzu's determinatfion is very unique. Maybe that is why a lot of fanyus love him.

Am I just exaggerating or someone else also feels the same way as me?

The news about Yuzu being unfairly judged is really heartbreaking. I don't know if they are being personal about it and they want to ruin Yuzu or they just think that what Yuzu is doing is still not enough. It just hurts...really hurts.

Well, that's all...I guess. Feel free admins to pm me if this post is irrelevant here.

Thank you:headdesk:

13 minutes ago, mmmrazorz said:

These 3 are the ones that make me decide to be a fan :2thumbsup: and also PW at SC. They just have this wow factor especially for people who never follow fs.

So i suggest if you guys want to brainwash your friends into loving yuzuru, start with these 4, barcelona seimei, sc origin, sc pw, and notte stellata pyeongchang. Especially for casual viewer who can't tell the difference between jumps (tbh i still cant tell which one is salchow, toe, etc the only recognizable jump for me is axel...)

Tbh first time i watch H&L i thought it was kinda bland especially after watching seimei, origin, notte and pw.....

Also RJ from WC '12. Like, bless his little heart, he is so into it that it's impossible not to get completely absorbed by it. Every time I watch it, even though I know it's coming, my heart just jumps out my throat when he trips. Can anyone watch it and not feel like a physical jolt back to reality when he falls? I feel like it must be a collective experience or something. 

Hi guys. Just a quick question

Is "yuzu" and "yuzuru" specifically only a name in japan? 

Like have you guys seen foreigners use that name ever? 

If I ever have a son when I'm older I want to name him "yuzu" or "yuzuru"

But I'm not Japanese. Would that be weird to name your child like that in countries outside japan? 

39 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Hi guys. Just a quick question

Is "yuzu" and "yuzuru" specifically only a name in japan? 

Like have you guys seen foreigners use that name ever? 

If I ever have a son when I'm older I want to name him "yuzu" or "yuzuru"

But I'm not Japanese. Would that be weird to name your child like that in countries outside japan? 

I think these names are not really used outside the Japanese language. Particularly Yuzuru (結弦) is a clearly Japanese name and definitely isn't used in other languages. I could imagine the shortened version 'Yuzu' might be used like a nickname for some non-Japanese names, but I don't think it's a common name anywhere else. Maybe the meaning of Yuzu, as in yuzu fruit, is used as a name in some other languages as well. 

You could still use the name even though it is clearly Japanese, but it would probably require quite a lot of explaining to everyone around you :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:I think in Japan, the name Yuzuru has probably increased in popularity somewhat, although I haven't seen any article about it. To be honest, I would be afraid of naming my child Yuzuru if I was Japanese, because I'd feel the expectations are super high! Could they possibly ever live up to the name? :tumblr_m9gcraReGL1qzckow:

Actually, I tried looking it up, and it seems 結弦 still isn't a particularly popular name in Japan, but the kanji 結 is used increasingly in both boys' and girls' names, probably owing to Yuzuru's influence to some extent. Apparently the names 結菜 (Yuuna), 結依 (Yui) and 結愛 (Yua) have been among the most popular girls' names in the last few years. The gender difference is kind of interesting. 

45 minutes ago, memae said:

Also RJ from WC '12. Like, bless his little heart, he is so into it that it's impossible not to get completely absorbed by it. Every time I watch it, even though I know it's coming, my heart just jumps out my throat when he trips. Can anyone watch it and not feel like a physical jolt back to reality when he falls? I feel like it must be a collective experience or something. 

That's exactly how I feel !!

I could talk for hours really, about this performance, which is my all time favourite. When I first saw it, I knew nothing of ice skating (it was only my second time watching Yuzu), and I remember being awed by the speed and the power of his jumps. Mostly, I remember being terrified that he would fall or faint, because he kept skating so fast !! holding absolutely nothing back. But anyone could see that he was struggling hard to catch his breath! His determination moved me to tears, not to mention how perfectly synchronized with the music he was. No one with a romantic heart could resist the beauty and the passion blended into this performance. :tumblr_inline_mnvwrg4ssV1qz4rgp:

I know it's always personal taste, but it's hard to me to imagine to not fall in love with Yuzu's skating after seeing H&L at Worlds. It's true what many said that this program only worked when everything was perfect, and through that season I was also missing Seimei at times, but Worlds 2017 is a masterpiece that touched me like no program before, including NHK and GPF Seimei and young Romeo that were of course pure awesomness too (the second time happened later in Olympics free skate but that were different emotions).

11 hours ago, barbara said:

What?  Who are these people?  I know so many people (all of my family include) who just don't get it.  They just don't see what we see.  In a way, Yuzu almost makes it look too easy so the uninformed don't really see all the athleticism behind even the step sequences.  It's hard for me because what he does is so beyond just athleticism. It's artistry. (And kindness and caring.) If a person cannot be wowed by H&L '17, there is a piece of them missing that they may never notice, but I sort of feel sad for them that they are unable to see the brilliance and beauty in his skating.  I continue to send Youtube links in the hope that someone will, at least, watch.  They may think I'm the crazy one, but my grown son and my sister, while not able to quite get what it is I see, know it's something that has changed me and are happy for that.  The piece of me that was missing has been found.

I know. Terrible, isn't it? One would think that brilliance of that level would be immediately obvious to all. 

Although in all fairness to my friends, I only showed them still photographs because I was on data instead of wifi.  But still, Yuzu's beauty should have been obvious! 

Edited to add:

I noticed Yuzu with  Sochi PW, but I didn't fall in love until I saw SC'16 LGC. His performance was so spot on...like he was born to channel Prince on the ice...and I just couldn't look away after that. 

I probably should have showed them LGC, data costs be damned. 

7 hours ago, guiltypleasure said:

These last several comments explain why I picked my name.  All but one of my friends are dismissive about figure skating, so I don't want to admit how much time I spend following my figure skating idol.  Time well spent,  IMHO. 

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" - although I am of the opinion that time watching Yuzuru is never wasted. There's just something electric about him. When I watch him skate, I feel strangely connected to a much bigger reality than my own. 

@Jenny_Crux I think most of us here feel that way to some extent.

37 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

When I watch him skate, I feel strangely connected to a much bigger reality than my own. 

This is really well put, and reminded me of this bit from the Future of Tohoku document I mentioned before:

Tapd49t.jpgiWwgelS.jpg

xZYoEEl.jpgcTgdlnf.jpg

I think it's really amazing that Yuzuru could already articulate it like this when he was 15.

(A small note about the translation - it's close enough, but in Japanese, he literally says 'I want people to feel my world, I want people to know my worldview. I think skating is what allows me to create that connection.') 

24 minutes ago, glilikoi said:

This is really well put, and reminded me of this bit from the Future of Tohoku document I mentioned before:

Tapd49t.jpgiWwgelS.jpg

xZYoEEl.jpgcTgdlnf.jpg

I think it's really amazing that Yuzuru could already articulate it like this when he was 15.

(A small note about the translation - it's close enough, but in Japanese, he literally says 'I want people to feel my world, I want people to know my worldview. I think skating is what allows me to create that connection.') 

Yes! I feel this. When I watch him skate, I strongly feel that he is trying to communicate something important with all his might. 

All great artists do this. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" - although I am of the opinion that time watching Yuzuru is never wasted. There's just something electric about him. When I watch him skate, I feel strangely connected to a much bigger reality than my own. 

@Jenny_Crux I think most of us here feel that way to some extent.

We are connected to a bigger reality. Yuzu is our north star.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I know. Terrible, isn't it? One would think that brilliance of that level would be immediately obvious to all. 

Although in all fairness to my friends, I only showed them still photographs because I was on data instead of wifi.  But still, Yuzu's beauty should have been obvious! 

Edited to add:

I noticed Yuzu with  Sochi PW, but I didn't fall in love until I saw SC'16 LGC. His performance was so spot on...like he was born to channel Prince on the ice...and I just couldn't look away after that. 

I probably should have showed them LGC, data costs be damned. 

And still not looking away.  Still phots capture so much, as well. The balance and flexibility and artistry and muscles. Oddly, it took several days for my son to notice there are large collage posters of Yuzuru hanging in my house. I try to have less than photos of my son, but it's not easy.