General Yuzuru Chat

I actually bought a one year subscription for Japan TV earlier this year, but I think I'll switch to iSakura pro for next year. I tried it around NHK and the quality is really good and you can watch in browser which helps a lot. And you can save videos. Always a plus. (And it has a travel channel, which is 100% up my alley)

Now, regarding JNats and iSakura, for Fuji TV, you can get the Mini, for BS Fuji and regular Fuji, the Basic, for CS Fuji, BS Fuji and regular Fuji, Pro Plus. But it also depends what you want to see. If you only want to see the top skaters, i.e. the last groups, you only need regular Fuji. If you want to see others as well, BS Fuji is also enough (except ladies SP, for that you do need CS Fuji). For the MOI highlights, regular Fuji is again enough, but for the full MOI, you'll have to get a separate round for BS Fuji (another 3 days around Dec. 29th). Then again, given that the difference between the three types of 7 days subscriptions is only 1$ and 2$ (Mini is 6$, Basic is 7$, Plus is 8$), getting the Plus is definitely easiest. It just depends how much you're willing to spend, unless you chose the free options, of course. :snpeace:

6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I bet he would do it side by side with Nathan if Nathan asked, though.

They're both such dorks enough for it deep down too. Nathan can have all the swagger he wants, but we all know he knows that sequence edges into cheesy. Imagine that side-by-side after a side-by-side 4T-eu-3F. I'd die.

19 hours ago, rubyblue said:

Yes, in my opinion, you shouldn't. At least in the context of FS scoring patterns discussion. But I guess we have quite different sensitivity towards this issue. Let's stick to our own opinions.

18 hours ago, rubyblue said:

Also, I don't want to be rude, but why do you expect anybody to "give you" any definition? Bring it yourself if you want to refer to it. Sorry, I had to :)

Yes, I guess we have to stick to our own opinions, since they are miles apart. In any case, I didn't expect anyone to do anything, it was an invitation open for refusal :winky:

19 hours ago, robin said:

You really don’t need to be so defensive of Max. I have not said he is racist. I have said what he said can be racist depending on context.

Yeah don't worry, I wasn't being so direct as I was to defend him, but because I really really believe that some accusations and some discussions like this one are a bit... over the top to be gentle. But nevermind, we can close it. 

2 hours ago, memae said:

They're both such dorks enough for it deep down too. Nathan can have all the swagger he wants, but we all know he knows that sequence edges into cheesy. Imagine that side-by-side after a side-by-side 4T-eu-3F. I'd die.

If the GPF organizers hadn't thought streamer confetti was such a great idea, we might even have had that side by side beauty by now, who knows?

37 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

If the GPF organizers hadn't thought streamer confetti was such a great idea, we might even have had that side by side beauty by now, who knows?

Omg I was so annoyed. Like, first I jumped out of my skin because of the noise and then I saw Sui trip and realised exactly what all those nuisance streamers meant re: end of gala fun. Like, how did the event organisers pass up the opportunity for quad battles with Anna S, Sasha, Nathan, and Yuzu all at the same event for the first time? 

On 12/11/2019 at 10:55 PM, tafattsbarn said:

Watching Nathan during those press conferences were a special kind of entertainment :tumblr_inline_mn41rcGFcT1qz4rgp: So many "Wtf am i hearing" looks it made me chuckle heartily :> 

This is one reason I'm as much a Nathan fan as I am a Yuzu fan..Nate's WTF face is brilliant, he tries to plaster on a different expression but can't.

HANYUCONOMY REPORT

A new ice rink is opening in Oita prefecture - thanks to Yuzu's suggestion after his performance there post-Sochi Olympics (2014).   This was reported a few days ago on sponichi and I was waiting for someone to do the translation... perhaps it was already reported but I think it's worth repeating.  OP SAY-KA reports that Oita City is in the process of converting one of the main sports centers into a permanent ice rink for both public use and for special training of competitive skaters.  The prefecture is famous for its natural hot springs, and when Yuzu and Akiko Suzuki visited the city for the post-Sochi ice show in June 2014, they had requested the mayor to consider building a permanent rink.  Yuzu had noticed that skaters from Oita prefecture had to travel a couple of hours to the nearest rink in the neighboring prefecture.  Oita city used to have an ice rink until the 90s but had closed it down due to the declining interest in skating.  The officials had noticed the recent rise in the popularity of figure skating, especially due to Hanyu-senshu, and decided to open a permanent rink.  They expect to make profit from the skating public, as well as offer high quality training centre for competing athletes (with natural hot spring for relaxation!).  The second link is from the local TV news in 2014 showing Yuzu visiting both Oita prefecture office and Beppu municipal office to make the request for a new rink.  

After 5 years, his request is turning into reality!  Someday we might see top competitors emerging from the warm, semi-tropical prefecture of Oita!  Who would have thought... (well, at least for me, it breaks down the image I had of this southern prefecture). 

FYI:  The capital of Oita Prefecture is Oita city, and the city adjacent to it is Beppu city - which is famous as the onsen with the highest volume of hot water, boasting 8 separate sources of hot natural springs. 

I bet my salary that Yuzu has read this paper already   :LOL:

Biomechanics of the Axel Paulsen Figure Skating Jump

by A. Mazurkiewicz et al., 13 Aug 2018

EDIT: Here's a very interesting result from this paper

" It can be assumed that decreasing the ankle joint angle in the pre-take-off phase was the most essential for achieving more rotations in the Axel jump. This substantial change in ankle flexion caused greater stress on the blade before the take-off, which caused a reduction in vertical velocity and made the take-off angle more vertical. This caused the jump to become longer and higher, and, in the end, helped the skater to perform more rotations in the air. "

I'm curious, if Yuzu uses research results like this for his 4A practice? I'm pretty sure he does :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

I scrolled a bit through the list of books and journals of our university library and there are soooo many papers specifically about figure skating. My search list with the key words "sport science figure skating" has 71928 entries! There are countless articles about measurement tools, biomechanics of different elements, nutrition and training methods and sooo many other interesting research topics. If I have the time, I really want to read some of them. They sound super interesting :10636614:

5 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I scrolled a bit through the list of books and journals of our university library and there are soooo many papers specifically about figure skating. My search list with the key words "sport science figure skating" has 71928 entries! There are countless articles about measurement tools, biomechanics of different elements, nutrition and training methods and sooo many other interesting reseach topics. If I have the time, I really want to read some of them. They sound super interesting :10636614:

I'm sure Ghislain would have printed it out and annotated it for Yuzu if Yuzu hadn't read it already on his own. :D 

8 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

I scrolled a bit through the list of books and journals of our university library and there are soooo many papers specifically about figure skating. My search list with the key words "sport science figure skating" has 71928 entries! There are countless articles about measurement tools, biomechanics of different elements, nutrition and training methods and sooo many other interesting research topics. If I have the time, I really want to read some of them. They sound super interesting :10636614:

Omg! 😂

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

EDIT: Here's a very interesting result from this paper

I'm curious, if Yuzu uses research results like this for his 4A practice? I'm pretty sure he does :tumblr_inline_ncmifaymmi1rpglid:

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

" It can be assumed that decreasing the ankle joint angle in the pre-take-off phase was the most essential for achieving more rotations in the Axel jump. This substantial change in ankle flexion caused greater stress on the blade before the take-off, which caused a reduction in vertical velocity and made the take-off angle more vertical. This caused the jump to become longer and higher, and, in the end, helped the skater to perform more rotations in the air. "

If that's not the exact description of what we saw Yuzu doing during the takeoff on those 4A attempts, I don't know what is. I mean, it was distinctive and obvious; his forward motion all but halted as he vaulted into the air and began to rotate. 

Also, I was checking schedules and I don't think I'll be able to watch any of JNats live. I'm babysitting my sister's kids over the Christmas holidays and the broadcast schedule for the live viewing is exactly at the same time they have to get out the door to school...:sorrow:maybe for the final I can watch because I think that's Sunday morning for me.

Russian article regarding the Grand Prix Final. This quotation is regarding the Gala exhibition programs of Yuzu and Nathan Chen (Google translate).

“In the final show of the Grand Prix series, two indicative numbers performed by two prominent figure skaters did not leave anyone indifferent.

“As in competitions, the audience was presented with two philosophies of figure skating – a vision of ice art from the god of figure skating Yuzuru Hanyu, as well as a show from a neighbor’s boy, Nathan Chen, fearlessly climbing the heights of Olympus.”

https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/prostoprosport/2667221.html

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Russian article regarding the Grand Prix Final. This quotation is regarding the Gala exhibition programs of Yuzu and Nathan Chen (Google translate).

“In the final show of the Grand Prix series, two indicative numbers performed by two prominent figure skaters did not leave anyone indifferent.

“As in competitions, the audience was presented with two philosophies of figure skating – a vision of ice art from the god of figure skating Yuzuru Hanyu, as well as a show from a neighbor’s boy, Nathan Chen, fearlessly climbing the heights of Olympus.”

https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/prostoprosport/2667221.html

I think it's pretty clear who the Russians think is the superior skater.