General Yuzuru Chat

7 hours ago, cuddlebuggy said:

Yeah, I think he said that once he feels he won't be able to win, he will stop competing because he absolutely can't bear to show his 'pathetic' side to the audience. Given how short FS careers are, especially with all the young upstarts, I'm definitely just cherishing all the competitions/performances he is putting out now seeing as retirement might soon be in the horizon. 

I think also in Brian's interview this year, he mentioned Yuzu had an announcement he wanted to make it 2020, and honestly I thought it might be a retirement announcement. But given that he just had this intense competition with Nathan, I feel like he is all fired up and ready to land some quad axels. I hope he at least does the 2020 season, gets his 5th GPF win, lands his quad axel and wins Worlds one more time, to bow out on a high. <3 That would be ideal.

He also said that if it weren't for Nathan, he would quit skating.

In the recent press con, he said his dream is to land all 5 quads. 

So I am always confused as to where his true motivation lies. 

His words and goals seem to change (which I love). 

I doubt he will retire just 1 season before Beijing though. 2 years before Beijing is understandable, but retiring just 1 season before Beijing is ????

Because normally athletes retire after every olympic cycle (every 4 years). 

I sometimes imagine him to compete at Japan Open or do a Takahashi Daisuke and unretire at J Nationals even after he retires though. Just for 1 last time sort of thing 😍

13 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

I doubt he will retire just 1 season before Beijing though. 2 years before Beijing is understandable, but retiring just 1 season before Beijing is ????

I sometimes imagine him to compete at Japan Open or do a Takahashi Daisuke and unretire at J Nationals even after he retires though. Just for 1 last time sort of thing 😍

That’s a nice thought to have.

After he retires, I have a hunch that he’ll participate in ice shows.:9:

Spoiler

I have recently joined the skating fandom though (~4 months ago) so it’ll be sad to him go. :cry:

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm positive he was trying to memorize Nathan's Benny and the Jets choreo/step sequence during the GPF OP. 

Surefire formula for shaming the purveyors of bogus comparisons and hype about rivalries: reprise the programs of purported rivals as your Ex. 

:kitty:

Of course, it would also embarrass the other skaters, so Yuzu would (correctly) never do it.

:8:

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

True! I'm glad he has a new inspiration now Javi is gone. :( 

I feel GPF really fired him up. The couple of months after Worlds I felt in his interviews he had kind of lost direction, but after GPF I feel his firepower coming back. I really hope, he doesn't get injured anymore, if he doesn't I think these next few years could be his best seasons yet. He has the calmness of mind now that the two gold olys are in his pocket and we can finally see him skate for himself.

The best Yuzu is yet to come! Sure he messed up a few of his jump passes at GPF, but I was so incredibly proud of him too for that beautiful 4 Lutz! In n the past he used to be just competitive over everything, even Brian thought it was too much and this year we see how he's taking his time and easing into his goals (well, for any degree of 'easing' that can apply to Yuzu). I think he is really working with his body and being patient with the fact that he is just coming back from injury and needs to build up his stamina and familiarity with jumps slowly all over again. I think if he keeps at it,  the 5 quads (maybe 6 with the axel :D) is totally possible! I can't wait to see it. I really hope he doesn't retire and goes onto 2020 Olys, bringing his best A game this time - no nerves, and no injuries!

I'm also really excited he's doing J-Nats again, which at first I was worried meant that he was gonna close off his season with a 'thanks japan, peace out!', but now I am taking to mean that he feels good enough to compete at J Nats cuz his injury is healed.

3 hours ago, Fay said:

That above all is a proof of how deep his love of figure skating is. 

I remember the time at Worlds where he was mid interview, and Shoma's points came out and he just like stopped halfway and ran over to the screen and was like, how could it be so low? And started asking which elements Shoma missed cuz clearly he knew everyone's programs. <3 Obsessive!All Knowing!Yuzu is the best.

1 hour ago, barbara said:

I think he'd be mobbed.  Maybe TCC could manage to arrange a private showing outside of regular museum open hours.  I think he would LOVE it.

I think not necessarily if he chooses his time wisely. But you know....don't pick shortly after Worlds when oversea fans might make a stop in Toronto, don't pick weekends when more people might go, etc. Like someone else said, the ROM is pretty quiet during certain hours of the weekdays. And most people in Toronto wouldn't know who he is - I'm certain he can waltz into my office building and no one would look twice. Plus I think fans who actually live in Toronto have like....jobs or classes or actual things to do rather than stalk an exhibition where he may or may not show up.

I do hope he manages to see it too though. It sounds like something he would enjoy.

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Much as I love Yuzu, I would prefer for him to retire after he lands the 4A. Rather than have ISU screw him over and over and over again.