General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

But we don't know that he didn't and Phil just didn't feel it was worth mentioning. Sadly, journalists do that all the time.

Omg yes i agree the whole interview sounded off. I was thinking what kind of questions he asked to get the these statements from Brian. So yeah cut, paste, and rearrange is the way to go for sensational news. I hope Yuzu and his coaches would get a good laugh at all the media shenanigans at least.

3 minutes ago, mokjakarma said:

Omg yes i agree the whole interview sounded off. I was thinking what kind of questions he asked to get the these statements from Brian. So yeah cut, paste, and rearrange is the way to go for sensational news. I hope Yuzu and his coaches would get a good laugh at all the media shenanigans at least.

It is surely presented in a way with bad intentions to fuel the atmosphere.

However, I believe team TCC will be able to handle it properly, when they all talk to each other instead of media. Tbh in Tracy I trust :D

一隅を照らす。これ則ち国宝なり。最澄.

(ichi-guuwo terasu. koresunawachi kokuhounari. Saicho)

"Shining a light in one corner.  This is indeed a national treasure."   A quote from the writings of the Buddhist monk Saicho. 

In Japan and across the world, we are mourning the passing of Dr. Nakamura who dedicated for more than 30 years of his life in Afghanistan - to serve the people and the community there.  He was truly a hero a man of deep compassion and humility, who dedicated his life for the people of Afghanistan.  

His favorite saying was 一隅を照らす - which aptly describes the actions of this humble man, whose courageous efforts gave so much hope to the communities he served.  His actions even brought back former fighers from the battlefield to take part in rebuilding the land and creating a new life for their children. He did not try to take part in big World Bank conferences to trumpet how much money he collected or how many wells he had dug. Instead he kept his head down and worked alongside the people, and through his modest actions he spread compassion and generosity in a community that had been devastated by decades of war and brutal violence. 

Taking care of the small things immediately around you and shining a tiny bit of light in the small corner of our world - this is how we can spread the circle of compassion.  For me, Yuzu's greatest asset is not his amazing athleticism or artistic talent but his adherence to 一隅照: he has continued to pay attention to those immediately around him and give kindness and compassion no matter what he is going through, and as he is maturing these values appear to be growing stronger within him. Of course, he loves to be the centre of attention as a skater and a performer, but his acts of generosity are carried out behind the scenes, outside of the glare of media and fandom - even paying attention to the needs of the media when they badger him and showing no resentment or irritation but instead showing generosity by answering their questions with respect and care, even the unpleasant ones; or giving kind words to Alina after the galal, or by extending friendship to an autistic child in his class who was feeling ostracized by others... I was a very spoiled and egostistical child and he puts me to shame when I reflect on my own selfish actions.  His actions motivate me to strive to be more understanding and compassionate towards the feelings of those around me, and not be swept in by the storm of hatred swirling around us in this tempestuous world.    

Dr. Nakamura was and will continue to be a great role model, truly a national treasure.  I can only wish Yuzu to carry that light forward... 

11 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

Thank you so much for sharing this link!

I agree with pretty much everything being said in this video. When I edit a clip myself, the most important aspect for me is the movement itself. In my opinion it's a crime to change the camera angle or zoom in and out excessively during a spin or Ina Bauer etc. It completely kills the move. I wanted to punch every official cameraman in Torino this week. What they did to Notte Stellata is... well, no comment.

My impression is: the better your technical equipment is, the poorer gets the actual camera work. In many cases. Very few filmmakers can make something great out of all the gadgets and features and special effects they have compared to the 20th century. In my opinion the good old hand drawn and painted pictures in classical Disney films beat any kind of new pixar movie. When I rewatch The Jungle Book or Snow White, I can feel the love and attention to detail in every single frame. I'm very happy that Japanese animation studios didn't give up on hand drawing until today.

You're right that creating a figure skating program is comparable with the creation of a film. When you compose a skating program, you have to take care, how it appears to the audience. How can I translate the music into body movements? Which gestures and facial expressions should I use to transport my message? Which movements are meaningful, which ones superfluous?  In which corner of the rink should I land my jumps to leave the biggest impact? How can I build up suspense and make the program visually appealing? Yuzu pays a lot of attention to such details and that sets him apart from the rest.

The costume choice is one part of it, too. It makes a huge difference, if you wear an actual COSTUME that visualizes the theme of your music or just a casual black shirt. Yuzu's costumes are real eyecatchers and thoughtfully designed. Program and costume belong together.

Wow, thanks for sharing your thoughts on the video.  Yes, it's all the attention to details that makes the craft into art, in whatever medium we work with.   Yuzu's programs have depth, and I think he is only just now beginning to find his voice (to mix up metaphors!). 

30 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm actually kind of disappointed by how quick people are to start accusing Brian everytime something doesn't go quite right. He's been the target of fans anger so many times, from the first time Yuzu moved to TCC. Maybe he's not PR savvy, but that's not really his job. His job is to coach and he's a damned good coach. TCC is probably the best coaching environment in FS. But fans are so quick to start attacking them if ever something is not perfect. Until Yuzu comes out and talks crap about TCC and says he was disappointed in his coaches - which, let's face it, it's unlikely he ever will - maybe we shouldn't attack people close to him? It's natural to feel and express concern, but IMO, it's gone too far. Brian didn't steal Ghislain's passport and he didn't murder anyone. I'm almost surprised nobody went after Joseph and the other TCC kids because they dared have fun and post on instagram instead of sitting there lighting up candles and praying for their sempai. Yes, it wasn't ideal, but whether you like it or not, Yuzu is an adult and it was a difficult situation that I'm sure he learned a lot from and, IMO, it should have increased his confidence, because he did so well on his own.

I can't imagine how Brian must have felt being attacked like that and how Yuzu will feel having to face his coach and maybe apologize for the whole mess - because he's Japanese. Brian posted a picture with another student smiling. What a terrible crime...

But we don't know that he didn't and Phil just didn't feel it was worth mentioning. Sadly, journalists do that all the time. I spent at least 15 minutes talking to the guy who wrote that New York Times article on Yuzu in 2017. All he wrote was that I was anxiously waiting for news after his injury. I spoke about how I liked Yuzu for his skating and his flow on the ice to a guy from Nikkan Sports. He asked me how Yuzu compares to famous men in Romania. My brain blanked, because I care for none, so I said I like him better. All he wrote was that I think Yuzu is much better than the famous men in Romania. My point is, journalists select statements that fit their agenda and ignore the rest. So while I can believe Brian said all Phil wrote, I don't believe that's all he said. (Even in TV interviews with Yuzu, you can see sometimes they cut his answers short and that annoys me so much, because maybe what they cut off was actually super interesting)

I feel the same as you, Katja. For what I've known, I get this feeling there are some mismatches in the com between Brian and perhaps one/some people in Yuzu team, and it must be quite difficult sometimes to find his place, to know when to speak or not, to deal with not only an athlete, but a team. 

Things were a bit easier with javi I think in this sense. 

I also agree that he is a coach, sure he is a quite famous one, and he did some "errors" (were they ?) in the past, but what we ask of him, is to be a good coach, and he is. 

I think neither Yuzu or Brian lie in this matter, he's just said he was informed a bit later that he wasn't chosen (maybe Yuzu thought beforehand that the one he needed was effectively Ghislain, due to his jumps expertise, and the fact that Brian schedule was booked might have also pushed this decision). However, I'm sure if yuzu needed him, and though he was busy, he would have managed to be with him in The gpf, he said many times that when Evgenia arrived, he told her he would choose Yuzu if they were to compete during the same period. 

Somehow, he might have been a bit hurt (?) by this decision, we won't really know. 

We all know articles, and H*rsh articles can be misleading, but I understand why Brian wanted to clarify things and speak though Yuzu and Ghislain answers on the matter : he got "attacked" personally by fans, he read their worries and he wanted to answer, simply. 

I hope my message isn't too messy, first time I write here, I was lurking a long time ago, then signed up, then the 1st message... 😔 😅

3 hours ago, lila said:

So NBC contacted Brian regarding the no coach situ in gpf and turns out it was actually JSF behind this abrupt decision of choosing Ghislain for accredited coach. Brian did not even know about this until later 

also very disappointing to see how ppl accused Brian and TCC when they had nothing to do with the situ

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/yuzuru-hanyu-brian-orser/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

I'm very disappointed, but not at all surprised, that NBC contacted Brian and tried to dig into this situation. They were obviously looking for some dirt to fling around and personally I think they should have left well enough alone. 

It is interesting that Brian says JSF submitted Ghislain's name before Brian knew about it. That could have happened for many reasons, with the simplest explanation being a straight-up misunderstanding between JSF and Yuzu. I don't think we should read any more into it, but I do find it to be another example of how little JSF thinks of Yuzu, that they couldn't do something like this correctly. And there's also the possibility that Yuzu simply realized Brian was busy and didn't want to bother him. I could totally see Yuzu doing that out of general politeness.

3 minutes ago, alIY said:

I feel the same as you, Katja. For what I've known, I get this feeling there are some mismatches in the com between Brian and perhaps one/some people in Yuzu team, and it must be quite difficult sometimes to find his place, to know when to speak or not, to deal with not only an athlete, but a team. 

Things were a bit easier with javi I think in this sense. 

I also agree that he is a coach, sure he is a quite famous one, and he did some "errors" (were they ?) in the past, but what we ask of him, is to be a good coach, and he is. 

I think neither Yuzu not Brian lie in this matter, he's just said he was informed a bit later that he wasn't chosen (maybe Yuzu thought beforehand that the one he needed was effectively Ghislain, due to his jumps expertise, and the fact that Brian schedule was booked might have also pushed this decision). However, I'm sure if yuzu needed him, and though he was busy, he would have manage to be with him in The gpf, he said many times that when Evgenia arrived, he told her he would choose Yuzu of they were to compete during the same period. 

Somehow, he might have been a bit hurt (?) by this decision, we won't really know. 

We all know articles, and H*rsh articles can be misleading, but I understand why Brian wanted to clarify things and speak though Yuzu and Brian answers on the matter : he got "attacked" personally by fans, he read their worries and he wanted to answer, simply. 

If he was reached he probably knew that H*rsh is going to write sth anyway, so maybe he chose to speak to limit Phil's speculation. Whatever we think about H*rsh, he is, unfortunately, influential figure working for big media brand.

2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm actually kind of disappointed by how quick people are to start accusing Brian everytime something doesn't go quite right. He's been the target of fans anger so many times, from the first time Yuzu moved to TCC. Maybe he's not PR savvy, but that's not really his job. His job is to coach and he's a damned good coach. TCC is probably the best coaching environment in FS. But fans are so quick to start attacking them if ever something is not perfect. Until Yuzu comes out and talks crap about TCC and says he was disappointed in his coaches - which, let's face it, it's unlikely he ever will - maybe we shouldn't attack people close to him? It's natural to feel and express concern, but IMO, it's gone too far. Brian didn't steal Ghislain's passport and he didn't murder anyone. I'm almost surprised nobody went after Joseph and the other TCC kids because they dared have fun and post on instagram instead of sitting there lighting up candles and praying for their sempai. Yes, it wasn't ideal, but whether you like it or not, Yuzu is an adult and it was a difficult situation that I'm sure he learned a lot from and, IMO, it should have increased his confidence, because he did so well on his own.

I can't imagine how Brian must have felt being attacked like that and how Yuzu will feel having to face his coach and maybe apologize for the whole mess - because he's Japanese. Brian posted a picture with another student smiling. What a terrible crime...

But we don't know that he didn't and Phil just didn't feel it was worth mentioning. Sadly, journalists do that all the time. I spent at least 15 minutes talking to the guy who wrote that New York Times article on Yuzu in 2017. All he wrote was that I was anxiously waiting for news after his injury. I spoke about how I liked Yuzu for his skating and his flow on the ice to a guy from Nikkan Sports. He asked me how Yuzu compares to famous men in Romania. My brain blanked, because I care for none, so I said I like him better. All he wrote was that I think Yuzu is much better than the famous men in Romania. My point is, journalists select statements that fit their agenda and ignore the rest. So while I can believe Brian said all Phil wrote, I don't believe that's all he said. (Even in TV interviews with Yuzu, you can see sometimes they cut his answers short and that annoys me so much, because maybe what they cut off was actually super interesting)

His job is a coach, but these day you cant ignore PR game/SNS , whether you like it or not. Yuzuru is a skater and his job is to skate but I'm sure if he says/does something off, people would go after him anyway. Tracy and Ghislain never face any backfire from their media talk so far. People mad at Brian but not other TCC coaches because he's listed as Yuzuru's main coach. Again, attacking on is IGs is all kind of wrong but as I said this could avoid easily. For sure Yuzuru would learn alot from this, and I hope the same for TCC. It might be abit awkward for both of them when they start to talk (according to the article, its today) but Brian's a professional, he could understand its not Yuzuru's fault at all.

As for the article, maybe its not all Brian said but this is not the first time he give his interview to Phil either. If you know how Phil dose with his writing, maybe abit more careful, or ask for pre reading. When I worked in publisher, I often send a draft to those I interviewed, especially the exclusive interview,  whether they demand it or not. Sometimes you can interpret people's word in your own way and it could go wrong. And this is online article which can edit easily as well. If Brian say A and Phil write B, I can't believe Brian doesn't contact and ask him to change, unless he never read the article after publishing. Honestly, this article just add more fuel and turn this situation into "he said she said" and its not good at all. Hopefully it won't bring more trouble to Yuruzu/Brian with JSF. 

I hope this is the end of this. And if there's any miscommunication between Brian/TCC team with Yuzuru/his team, it would be solved right away. 

10 minutes ago, alIY said:

I hope my message isn't too messy, first time I write here, I was lurking a long time ago, then signed up, then the 1st message... 

Welcome here :8122685:

I'm getting a negative feeling from the H*rsh article as well. The title alone screams of "gossipy-let-me-create-drama". I don't trust the man not to twist Brian's words to be honest. :shrug:

Or plot twist: RusFed hired H*rsh behind the scene to create drama so they can snatch Yuzu like in the crazy rumors :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

More seriously, I'm not worried in the slightest about Yuzuru's relation with any of his coach. 

5 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Welcome here :8122685:

I'm getting a negative feeling from the H*rsh article as well. The title alone screams of "gossipy-let-me-create-drama". I don't trust the man not to twist Brian's words to be honest. :shrug:

Or plot twist: RusFed hired H*rsh behind the scene to create drama so they can snatch Yuzu like in the crazy rumors :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

More seriously, I'm not worried in the slightest about Yuzuru's relation with any of his coach. 

Kekeke thank you ☺️☺️☺️🎉🎊

On 12/9/2019 at 2:55 AM, Kat said:

I dont believe that at all. War horse programs were recycled a lot by various skaters. Additionally, numerous skaters repeated music choices and still received decent scoring. As Dick Button mentioned, he too repeated programs 3 or 4 times. If it isnt broken, or you feel you need to redo something-do it. What this comes down to is flawed judging, and dare I say it, favoritism and bribery (guess i do). Although maybe not bribery in this instance...I don't trust the judges.

I'm not saying Yuzuru deserved a gold, because he didn't, but he did deserve a higher scoring than what he received. Nathan did well, so congrats to him, but by his own admission there are jumps he wont/doesnt like to touch...I'd like to see his artistry continue to improve. Because again, right now, as even he mentioned-Yuzuru reigns supreme on artistry...so his scores should have better reflected what he brought to the ice.

That Nathan Chen called 4Lo "scary" and explained his feelings about its approach and axis in the press conference is pretty telling about its difficulty. He's one of few skaters to land a 4Lo and I think he's still maybe the only skaters to land 5 different quads in competition (I think maybe Shoma might have but I'm trying to think if I've ever seen him land a 4Lz as opposed to 4F(?)) so he'd know better than anyone.

45 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I'm actually kind of disappointed by how quick people are to start accusing Brian everytime something doesn't go quite right. He's been the target of fans anger so many times, from the first time Yuzu moved to TCC. Maybe he's not PR savvy, but that's not really his job. His job is to coach and he's a damned good coach. TCC is probably the best coaching environment in FS. But fans are so quick to start attacking them if ever something is not perfect. Until Yuzu comes out and talks crap about TCC and says he was disappointed in his coaches - which, let's face it, it's unlikely he ever will - maybe we shouldn't attack people close to him? It's natural to feel and express concern, but IMO, it's gone too far. Brian didn't steal Ghislain's passport and he didn't murder anyone.

Thank you for putting my thoughts into words! It makes me extremely angry the way people are ready to jump down Brian's throat over each bump in the road. It's like there's a portion of fanyus that just don't want to believe a Western coach like Brian could ever possibly be trusted to care for an Asian skater at all, and their reactions border on hysteria. I wonder if Brian had to go through all this with Yuna's fans too. If so, I don't know how he keeps on putting up with it. 

7 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

Brian should take a  PR lesson from Eteri. What a mastermind she is to show up only for Yuzu's runthrough during his coachless practice :D True winner! I hate her and I love her at the same time. 

it gets funnier when you look at the whole situ with denii chatting up with yuzu and all the questions of russian coaching to yuzu :D

i say one big conspiracy theory happening here lol