General Yuzuru Chat

15 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Why doesn't ANA have direct flights from Torino to Toronto if it is one of the top airlines in Japan? Very unusual for a top skater like Yuzu to take transfer flights, when it costs him more time and stamina to do so. 

It's not like Yuzu is too poor to purchase more expensive direct flights, that take less airtime and is usually more comfortable and less of a hassle to wait and transfer. 

Because there is no direct flight Torino-Toronto with any airlines. And transfer flights is really not that uncommon you know. Passing by Frankfurt is the best way to go somewhere nowadays lol 

8 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Why doesn't ANA have direct flights from Torino to Toronto if it is one of the top airlines in Japan? Very unusual for a top skater like Yuzu to take transfer flights, when it costs him more time and stamina to do so. 

It's not like Yuzu is too poor to purchase more expensive direct flights, that take less airtime and is usually more comfortable and less of a hassle to wait and transfer. 

There's no direct flight out from Toronto to Turin/Torino so no direct flight return from Turin to Toronto either. No airline seems to operate direct flights between these cities. 

Yuzuru also went back to Toronto after NHK. In the past he often stay in Japan before/after GPF but now I think he prefer to be at TCC rather training alone in Japan. Plus, there would be more demanding from media if he stays in Japan. These days he's back to Canada as soon as he can, despite jetlag. 

4 hours ago, Bunnybash said:

does this include the judges? Lmaooo this is wild tho. So no Russians competing in the next olympics against yuzu

No flag, no anthem. Just like PyeongChang. This is what I don't get. If you gotta ban, ban the PARTICIPATION, not just the flag etc. Banning a flag is like giving them a consolation. It is not exactly excluding them from global sports as long as they are still competing. 

There aren't many places one can fly to directly, surprisingly, so layovers aren't uncommon. He flew with layovers to/from Helsinki last year, too. And we know he even flew low cost once (for GPF Barcelona, but forgot which one, he flew ANA to Dusseldorf and then EuroWings to Barcelona). Probably more than once. I'm not sure how involved ANA is, but he does usually fly airlines in the same family as ANA: Lufthansa, Air Canada and yes, even EuroWings. Maybe Austrian if every necessary and so on. But probably mostly ANA and Air Canada. I'm a fan of Lufthansa myself (despite always hearing about their strikes, I have never been affected by one, unlike with Air France who virtually left me stranded in Japan, by announcing me with 24 hours before take off that my flight was canceled and getting another one was a bit of a mess. Overall, an experience that made swear off of Air France for good. KLM is cool, though) and my flight with ANA, to Japan this Summer was perfect. I will probably stick to ANA whenever I can, though, for obvious reasons lol

As for Yuzu, I'm sure he's going back to Toronto, he still has time to practice and I'm sure Brian and Tracy want to see him after this adventure. He does seem to prefer staying in Canada nowadays, which is sad, but very understandable. Even after Worlds, he went back right away, when a lot of people believed he would go home for a while. In fact, the only time he actually stayed home this year was after FaOI, when he was in Sendai for maybe a week or so and managed to stay under the radar. (He was also there for the new monument design, but I don't think he got to stay long then). That he only gets to spend about two weeks a year at home, is just sad at this point in time... But I guess that's one of the things he's sacrificing for the sake of continuing his career...

1 hour ago, MatchaBeans said:

No flag, no anthem. Just like PyeongChang. This is what I don't get. If you gotta ban, ban the PARTICIPATION, not just the flag etc. Banning a flag is like giving them a consolation. It is not exactly excluding them from global sports as long as they are still competing. 

What about celebrating Rostelecomm Cup for the next 5 years? They can hold Eurocup since it is a continental competition, but i Wonder how it will affect RC.

hace 34 minutos , Muralla17 said:

What about celebrating Rostelecomm Cup for the next 5 years? They can hold Eurocup since it is a continental competition, but i Wonder how it will affect RC.

Rostelecom Cup was held during Pyeongchang season, in fact Yuzu participated

8 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

5 MILLION views for this video!!!! and 7 thousand likes.

There's no excuse for ISU not to give him the MVP award. 

based on number of votes, he should win the other 2 as well but ISU probably manipulate those numbers too.

and a big Japanese account RT my video with more than 199K Likes and 50K RT too :knc_brian1:

2 hours ago, MatchaBeans said:

1 hour ago, Muralla17 said:

I watched WADA's live press conference after the media release and the basically stated that while it's similar to what happened during PyeongChang it's different. It's harsher. At this stage all skaters who want to skate from Russia will have to prove they had no affiliation which was a decision they only came to (deciding against a blanket ban) because an olympian stood up for aspiring skaters and said it would be unfair for those who had nothing to do with the doping controversy for their careers to be unnecessarily impaired.

They have names, and 1/3 of athletes on the list (an estimate at this stage, could be more or less) they say are still active in todays sport. This is of a list of about 150 Russian athletes. They know there are more names as well and until Russia decides to release those details the 4 year ban will remain in tact with the possibility of extension at the end of the term if the terms of the anti-doping act has not been met.

Russia is banned from hosting any major events. If Rostelecomm Cup is counted as a major event then that may very well be banned? But they have noted that concerning some sports there will be case by case basis, so in this case they may allow it? It'll have to be a conversation now for the Unions and WADA to have.

They also said it's possible Russia could lengthen this 'instillation' of this new ban and may be able to participate in the 2020 Olympics however the 4 year ban will go into effect after that and will ban then instead from the next Olympics, either way the 4 year ban will go forward. (Basically if Russia attempts to draw out the process unnecessarily)

Athletes deemed linked however are not allowed to participate in any major events including world titles and olympic medals. 

Just got around to watching NBC's coverage of GPF and they're still pushing the "College-Student vs the Two-Time-Olympic-Champion" angle. This is just getting silly now. I mean I get what they're going for. Trying to portray it as some David and Goliath struggle. But its weird to me??

They're both university students. So Yale versus Waseda. Or they're both champions. Two worlds versus two OGs. They are equals. 

I know its a small thing but it just bugs me for some reason. Probably from the run up to PC where it was all Chen adverts all the time and now two years later we're supposed to pretend he's some young innocent ingenue, just starting out, being picked on by the older veteran. IDK its just strikes me as weird somehow.  

That and the way I found out the results was Olympic Talks "Chen crushes Hanyu" article. Crushes?? That sounds so violent. Why not Chen skated well and won. I know, I know. Its more dramatic.

Sigh the media spins wear me out. I wish I could  watch skating without commentary but you really have to seek those out, often its piecemeal (ie individual performances) and usually after the fact. If I want to see the results in real time I get this nonsense.

Skipping the million pages I still have to read for now, cos I had an idea I just needed to share! Hope it hasn't been posted yet. Hold on to your hats, it's pretty crazy!

I know the axel is Yuzu's dream, but they've told us several times now that quints are easier than the 4A... So if he has a quint ready (a big "if", I know...) as well as a sufficient lead to be able to afford having an element count for 0 points, I think he should jump the 5T at Jnats.

Crazy?! Hear me out:

• what a surprise that would be! "Coming out of nowhere" indeed... He'd terrify the rest of the field, and I know I'm always here for that! :smiley-devil:
  • that would make a TON of noise, he'd become even more of a legend than he currently is, and that might make it harder for the ISU to continue their current BS? Imagine the scandal...
  • mostly, it would force the judges to assign values to quints, of course. Maybe even in time for Worlds, or am I dreaming? How fast or slow are they with that kind of thing? He needs to jump it early enough, if he wants it to be counted when it counts... Which is why I think he should deploy it before the 4A.
  • and finally, it would reinforce the narrative (AKA the truth, in this case) that the 4A truly is the hardest jumps of all. So again, maximum legend points when he finally lands it in competition!

What do you guys think? Have I completely lost it, or does that make some sort of sense? After all, the boy does need a challenge going into this next competition, if he's gonna revert to his usual layout... :laughing: