General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, ICeleste said:

This is absurd. 22 4Ts, 17 """4Lz"", 5 salchows and flips, 1 4Lo.

The current rulebook needs serious change.

• Why is the BV for 4Lo so relatively low?

Regarding 4Lz, either:

• The jump is easier than what ISU says, so its base value needs to be lowered.

OR (what I think):

• 4Lz is the easiest jump to cheat, which is why so many skaters are getting away with doing heavily pre-rotated, underrotated, wrong edge, full-blade-take-off jumps and unfairly being given full BV for them as if they were actual Lutzes. 

Since Yuzu has brought 4A into the conversation now, it needs to be said 4A BV is ridiculously low as well.

Also it's sooo frustrating that the jumps that SHOULD DEFINITELY have higher bv- 4lo and 4A happen to be Yuzu's jumps....*sigh* it's like he has to fight the system on every level

I wish JSF stepped up here and demanded the ISU to reconsider 4A bv...I mean surely this is a reasonable thing to want? I mean, it was originally higher but they reduced it.

"I have a dream"... Martin Luther King, Jr.

I recently lost a very dear friend (under spoiler), and the emotional experience of going through GPF Torino was both excruciating and exhilarating.  By chance I was reminded of the famous speech by Martin Luther King, Jr, and why it was so inspirational and uplifting: it came from a place of deep suffering, and yet it was not about blaming or rebuking the system for all the inequities, but it presented a vision for what the best of us aspire to be.   He didn't say, "I have a plan" and lay out a ten-point strategy, but the vision he painted created a far more moving and lasting impression on us, and continues to resonate to this day.   Something about the way Yuzu skated the Free Program captured the same spirit - a striving for beauty and emotional connection while at the same time challenging the limits of human athletic abilities, with so much conviction and abandon, and yet with care and control.  Such maturity and yet with child-like innocence.  Then the loving Notte Stellata brought the whole experience into a gentle, loving conclusion.  His performances in Torino - all of them in total - struck a deep chord in me and brought solace to my aching heart.  Thank you, Yuzu, for continuing to be such an inspiration and a comfort.  I am eternally grateful... 

Spoiler

Last week, I had to bid farewell to my beloved horse and dear friend, who had suddenly come down with severe laminitis (foot injury that tears apart the ligaments holding the bone from the hoof) and was suffering excruciating pain.   For the last hour of his life, he was pain-free and able to walk out into the field and graze on oh so so sweet grass.  He gazed into the cloudless sky and sun shone in his eyes, then he quietly slipped into the deep blue yonder.  My heart was pierced by the beauty of the moment, and as I sat crying my eyes out remembering the joys of life shared with this dear horse, I was reminded of the many special moments from Yuzu's performances over the years and how his skating helped to express so much of this poignant feeling.   

I had to step away from the Planet after the Short Program because his expression at the K&C was too much to bear - the pain of my own loss was too raw and recent.  But I have taken strength from his courageous attitude in preparing for the Free Program and how he threw himself into the challenge - without ego or worrying about his reputation - and living in the moment, here and now. He reminded me of how much of life is about embracing pain and suffering, not avoiding or running away from them, but turning them into power and motivation for doing good - truly a thing of beauty.  What an inspirational and remarkable young man.  Thank you, Yuzu for helping me through this difficult period.  Thank you to all the fellow PH satellites for being part of the journey. 

You are so right @Umebachi,he's amazing at turning a bad situation into a better one and into a learning experience....I wonder if he's able to apply that to his own life and not just competitions moments like this weekend.

Spoiler

this has been a weekend of mourning for me too but that's life..watching the sublime power of Origin first and then the poetry of NS helped me too.

1 minute ago, mercedes said:

You are so right @Umebachi,he's amazing at turning a bad situation into a better one and into a learning experience....I wonder if he's able to apply that to his own life and not just competitions moments like this weekend.

Reveal hidden contents

this has been a weekend of mourning for me too but that's life..watching the sublime power of Origin first and then the poetry of NS helped me too.

I think that is exactly what he has been doing with his life above and beyond skating, and that is why I find him so inspirational.  If he were just a skater, I would not be so deeply moved...  Remember after 3/11 he felt lost and without direction, but when he felt so many people from Tohoku appreciating his skating and taking strength from his performance, he realised how much he could give back through his efforts.  He is continuing to absorb and learn from each adversity and finds a way to articulate that experience, not only through skating and competitions, but through the way he examines his own life and makes an effort to put them into words.  His academic studies are also deepening his knowledge in this direction and he is using more refined and evolved expressions to share that knowledge (mostly in Japanese but getting better in English).  

I wish he would spend some time in a Zendera (Zen temple) back home - Zuiganji in Matsushima is beautiful, with 800 year-old cedar trees lining the entrance and giving the place such an aura of wisdom.  Meditating deeply in such a place would help to release his mind (and brainwaves) from overthinking and enter into the zone more readily.  His busy analytic mind in the frontal lobe seems often to interfere with the flow.  Meditation would be a helpful means to manage that over-sized brain of his! 

On 12/5/2019 at 8:46 PM, ralucutzagy said:

From new Lotte Gum CM! I'm kinda dead rn ... :10742290::13877886:

Imagine

He is so damn beautiful!! How ... :13877886:

Imagine

He actually looks like 25 yo young men.:tumblr_inline_ncmifiE3IT1rpglid:

On 12/5/2019 at 8:55 PM, ralucutzagy said:

:loveeyes:

15 seconds of Yuzuru chewing gum. Incredible.:laughing:

And mysterious music in background.:rofl2:

13 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Hi everyone I'm back. I have a million things to say but I will say this. 

I think judges marked Yuzu's PCS down because he did recycle his programs. I know it is a pathetic excuse, but like TSL said earlier in the year, when push comes to shove, the judges will bring up that Yuzu repeated BOTH his programs, whilst nathan has 2 NEW programs. It's a dumb reason to mark someone's PCS down, but judges are always looking for excuses to mark Yuzu down because they think Yuzu will need to retire soon or something. I really hope this sends Yuzu a big message to try 2 new programs next year and bring something totally new and interesting to boost up his PCS scores.

I was worried this exact thing might happen at GPF, 4CC and Worlds, and it did. Yuzu's PCS was underscored severely for no apparent reason, no reason given. And then out of nowhere, Philip Hersh tweets that Yuzu's Otonal is boring because he repeated it. Figure skating journalists like Philip Hersh does have influence in the figure skating world, and I do believe that some people might be bored of seeing the same programs over and over. Other than that, I cannot think of a reason why Yuzu would get less PCS than Nathan, I just cannot see anything that would make that comparison valid. 

I would love to see ISU factor the PCS scores higher in Men's competitions to match the quads

I would also like the lost 30 seconds back in the free program, so men have more time to set up big jumps. 

I also want to see spin scores increased in scale in both SP and FS, but I know this will never happen because ISU has always under evaluated the importance of spins in a program. To me, spins are just as important as jumps in figure skating, but ISU doesn't see to think so. I think 3 spins per program is a perfect number. But I do not believe spins receiving such little points in comparison to jumps is fair.

Some skaters like Yuzu and Valieva have the top flexibility of their field and their spin positions are so unique, difficult and beautiful. I believe unique spins make skaters like Yuzu and Valieva really stand out from the rest of the crowd. And thus, I hope ISU someday give more points for spins in general. 

I dont believe that at all. War horse programs were recycled a lot by various skaters. Additionally, numerous skaters repeated music choices and still received decent scoring. As Dick Button mentioned, he too repeated programs 3 or 4 times. If it isnt broken, or you feel you need to redo something-do it. What this comes down to is flawed judging, and dare I say it, favoritism and bribery (guess i do). Although maybe not bribery in this instance...I don't trust the judges.

I'm not saying Yuzuru deserved a gold, because he didn't, but he did deserve a higher scoring than what he received. Nathan did well, so congrats to him, but by his own admission there are jumps he wont/doesnt like to touch...I'd like to see his artistry continue to improve. Because again, right now, as even he mentioned-Yuzuru reigns supreme on artistry...so his scores should have better reflected what he brought to the ice.

Hace 14 horas, quadaxelwin said:

I think judges marked Yuzu's PCS down because he did recycle his programs.

No. He always got higher PCs for 3x recycled Chopin than he ever did the seasons he debuted Otoñal and Let's go Crazy. Let's Go Crazy is the most difficult SP he's ever done in terms of transitions, his PE and IN were excellent, the composition of the choreography brilliant too, yet this program never got the PCs it deserved- even though it was never recycled.

(Even if it were true that judges were "marking him down for recycling", it'd still be completely unfair and against the rules)

Please stop blaming Yuzuru when he's clearly not at fault for how underscored he is. He doesn't have the right passport, that's the only explanation.

I think this OP captures the way Yuzu sees figure skating community as a collaborative effort of all generations - the concept behind his Continues with Wings Ci: "Yuzuru’s vision of excellence is so generous. It’s not just ‘I will succeed’ but ‘let’s all make our mark together’. His personal dreams and ambitions are intertwined with motivating and empowering others, especially the next generation."   

Please read through the full thread.

So I was watching TSL (yes, I know they are terrible) but Dave was insinuating that Yuzu “chose” Ghislain over Brian to come as a coach. Is this true? I thought Brian had a prior commitment so Ghislain came instead. If he did chose him over Brian, I do find that concerning.

also, I got really mad at Jonathan for implying that Yuzu sat alone so he could make an excuse as to why he did bad. Yuzu never makes excuses for his performance, if anything, he blames himself too much.

45 minutes ago, SylessJinx said:

So I was watching TSL (yes, I know they are terrible) but Dave was insinuating that Yuzu “chose” Ghislain over Brian to come as a coach. Is this true? I thought Brian had a prior commitment so Ghislain came instead. If he did chose him over Brian, I do find that concerning.

Why?:scratch2:

36 minutes ago, SylessJinx said:

also, I got really mad at Jonathan for implying that Yuzu sat alone so he could make an excuse as to why he did bad. Yuzu never makes excuses for his performance, if anything, he blames himself too much.

I ignore the comments by T*L and would not want to give it more oxygen to spread negativity.  They delight in their own little echo chamber of gossips and for years they have been promoting the fanfiction of rivalry between Borser and GB and vying for the lovely hand of prince charming.  The moment I heard that Ghislain was going to be with Yuzu, I had no doubt this was the story these gossip-mongers were going to delight in exploiting. On this, I don't take any delight in being proven right. 

The most admirable aspect of TCC is the culture of collaboration, respect and teamwork established by Brian and Tracy. Brian runs the place like a team coordinator and team cheer leader and not like a jealous and dictatorial CEO.  The notion of a single, charismatic and impossibly talented leader solving all the problems of the company is one of the most ridiculous lies spread by modern business schools (I've been through rounds of H*rv*rd B School Exec Training courses and had to unlearn many of those things later in my life - when I actually had to manage multi-cultural teams).  In this way, TCC culture seems to be very much in alignment with that collaborative spirit that Yuzu has expressed  (see my previous comment) in so many different ways, and yet seems to fall on deaf ears when it comes to those who are only listening to the sound of their own ego voice echoing in that empty chamber...

On 12/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, Kat said:

Skip to 8:00 and watch. Lasts until 8:15 or so..but yeah, he wasnt thrilled. He gave her an X to decline. Not like he was rude to her, but timing was poor.

On 12/7/2019 at 11:20 PM, Kat said:

Skip to 8:00 and watch. Lasts until 8:15 or so..but yeah, he wasnt thrilled. He gave her an X to decline. Not like he was rude to her, but timing was poor.

Bad news, already tried watching the video and it's not playable in my country (Canada)! Any other suggested videos? (P.S. NBC Sports you suck!) :(