General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Why are the Motreal World tickets so expensive? 

I went to Rostelecom cup last year and they were waaay cheaper. 

Anyone know where 2020 GPF will be held? Maybe I should pass out Montreal Worlds....

honestly i'm just going because i miss my bb and because what if nessie appears

13 minutes ago, quadaxelwin said:

Anyone know where 2020 GPF will be held? Maybe I should pass out Montreal Worlds....

Bell Centre is always expensive. When I lived in Montreal the only time I ever went to the hockey was when I was in ON for a week because tickets at home were beyond anything students could afford. 

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

2020GPF will be in Beijing. And the 2021 Worlds will be in Stockholm (probably also very  expensive). 

6 hours ago, nkroolik said:

2020GPF will be in Beijing. And the 2021 Worlds will be in Stockholm (probably also very  expensive). 

You mean 2020 GPF will be a test event for 2022 olympics? I want to be there. And China is presumably much cheaper than Canada and Europe right? 

I want to go to Sweden, but Montreal doesn't seem to have that Europe vibe I want from a travel (more metropolitan urban vibe), so I am contemplating whether or not I should go. I can make time for Worlds, but tell me. 

Is Montreal worth going as a tourist spot? Does it have many tourist spots? I found a hostel near Centre Bell and it wasn't that expensive (though much more expensive than russia). 

3 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Is Montreal worth going as a tourist spot? Does it have many tourist spots? I found a hostel near Centre Bell and it wasn't that expensive (though much more expensive than russia).

In my experience, Europe is profoundly more expensive than Canada on every possible front, but then again i have never visited Russia. 

As for Montreal, yes, it has tourist places, and some of them are amazing, but it really depends what you're looking for. Montreal is one of the oldest cities in Canada but by European standards it's a baby - only 375 years old. So it has interesting architecture and history, and then there's Mount Royal itself. It attracts a lot of Japanese visitors, but as far as I know, they tend to come for the shopping and the underground city (which I don't think are all that exciting). It's also a leading city in the arts world, a whole movement (les Automatistes) started here in the 60s. 

Come to Montreal if you're interested in the history of Canada and particularly the history of French Canada, if you like good food, and if you're interested in art and architecture, and in how a culture can change on a dime (as Quebec culture did in the 50's and 60's during the Quiet Revolution, moving away from the excessive influence of the Catholic Church to a secular lifestyle almost overnight), I would say. 

And parts of it do have a European feel, other parts are very modern, almost futuristic. 

2 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

You mean 2020 GPF will be a test event for 2022 olympics? I want to be there. And China is presumably much cheaper than Canada and Europe right? 

I want to go to Sweden, but Montreal doesn't seem to have that Europe vibe I want from a travel (more metropolitan urban vibe), so I am contemplating whether or not I should go. I can make time for Worlds, but tell me. 

For me, Montreal was a dream. I loved it there so much and I always tell anyone who's going on an extended trip to that area of North America to go check it out. But March weather is terrible. There are lots of museums and galleries, there's the old town, lots of gorgeous parks, lots of places to eat and drink and have fun (especially near the universities), some beautiful old buildings (churches/cathedrals, especially), great shopping (the Plateau is heaven for anyone into vintage). It has its own vibe. I'm obviously very biased towards Montreal, but I do think it's quite a special city and it's worth checking out on its own, even without the lure of Worlds.

13 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Bit off topic but for me, absolutely. Worlds will be my second time visiting and i am so excited to go back! For me it didn't feel like "America" at all, it was like its own little world. I spent a week just exploring the city (and the food!!), and the views are amazing <3 definitely one of my favourite cities :D