General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes, I get that. What I couldn't figure out was why their counting of URs mattered, because I don't think it does. 

I think to help make the sport/event more transparent/accessible to casual viewers. Like, if a deduction happens and you can't even tell the jumps apart let alone if one was UR or whatever, then it becomes confusing. I mean, we know that scoring isn't consistent and that calls and scores are often political and/or biased, but a person who relies on the commentators to understand what's happening and to know if the skating is actually good or not (as opposed to just enjoyable to watch) doesn't get the bigger picture so the commentating provides a bit of context to help with that. 

2 hours ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

Once again for those who still think us satellites attending GPF would ever do something to disrupt the competition or would be inconsiderate to other skaters:

WE ARE SINGING HB AT THE END OF PRACTICE!!!!!

Can we move on now please. While we are discussing this,  US stans are happily tearing Yuzu’s skating apart on Twitter.

I don't think after practice is good, either. It's still in the middle of the competition. Yuzu is in full focus until after the end of the FS, so if it happens, it should be after the end of FS. (Also, support=pressure and while that can also be positive, I don't think it's ideal to add even more pressure). Honestly, I never thought he looked all that happy GPF when it happened previously... I know how he was at ACI, he was in full focus throughout the entire practice. Ok, joking with his coaches a bit, but otherwise he tends to block everyone and everything out. And after practice he's probably already thinking about what he needs to do next and about the FS. Please do it when he's already happy and it will only further enhance that and it will really be a celebration. So, victory lap, IF he wins, or end of gala. He's always the last one to leave the ice, anyway, so it'd be perfect (albeit a day late, but I doubt THAT's such a big issue).

21 minutes ago, memae said:

I think to help make the sport/event more transparent/accessible to casual viewers. Like, if a deduction happens and you can't even tell the jumps apart let alone if one was UR or whatever, then it becomes confusing. I mean, we know that scoring isn't consistent and that calls and scores are often political and/or biased, but a person who relies on the commentators to understand what's happening and to know if the skating is actually good or not (as opposed to just enjoyable to watch) doesn't get the bigger picture so the commentating provides a bit of context to help with that. 

Sure, but they can provide the context without having to be 100% certain how many URs are in each program, and what they're saying is all still stuff that's meant to go in one ear and out the other. I don't see that it matters if they notice what fans are up to or not. 

Anyways, let's drag this convo to a different plane, if we can: anyone care to venture a guess on the JNats podium? Shoma seems to be such a wild card right now, I don't know if I would lay odds on him. 

13 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Sure, but they can provide the context without having to be 100% certain how many URs are in each program, and what they're saying is all still stuff that's meant to go in one ear and out the other. I don't see that it matters if they notice what fans are up to or not. 

I don't think it matters either, though I enjoyed the fondness of the B.ESP uncles when they'd comment on the fans crying after Yuzu's programs without a hint of mocking.

As for JNats... if Yuzu goes, then... well. I know where I'd place my bets.

I think Shoma's season will improve with some stability in his coaching situation and with the mental triumph that came with (something of) a redeeming skate in Russia. JNats may well be his best event by that time and hopefully he progresses steadily for Worlds (provided he makes the team, which I think he will if he keeps his head on).

Btw I vote singing Happy Birthday at the end of the Victory ceremony/victory lap of the FS, for 2 reasons:

1) I'll be there, and also more people will be present in the Arena for sure compared to the practices

2) After everything is done is better than when the tension is still present! He will enjoy it more for sure.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes, I get that. What I couldn't figure out was why their counting of URs mattered, because I don't think it does. 

I just don't want the possibility of the commentators to say during or after the competition

"Yuzuru fans singing in the background disrupted Under rotation analyzation process or xxxxxx process" or "Yuzuru fans singing during live competition was inappropriate." 

What I meant in my previous posts were the possibility of them complaining more so than the UR counting. I don't want to hear commentators complaining or making excuses or blaming on fanyus later on or during the competition.

It's just an embarassing mark to leave on a fandom. It would be better not to have a possibility of those types of comments being left behind in Yuzu's skating career. 

The japanese fanyus are going crazy panic mode on my tl and now subtweeting at the original posters. It's sad to see this fandom fight like this over something like this, but it does help the fandom be more cautious about things like this.

I do think Yuzu fans sometimes over-reacts with Yuzu. Especially how some girls (although I don't know which side of the fandom) left snarky comments in Zhenya's instagram to "stay away from him" etc. 

Those fans I despise. 

Other times, the over-protection is debatable, instances like the birthday song I believe are debatable because it might affect the next skater warmimg up. I just don't want the next skater take an interview with his country or international press and be like "fanyus singing whilst I was warming up in the ice was rude and disruptive to my focus". 

If a skater made that excuse, we can't blame them because crowd singing during a skater's ice warm up is not tradition nor figure skating custom. It is an unusal crowd behavior. I also remember an interview from Alina Zagitova where she said she didn't like the crowd clapping during her Carmen routine last season. Sometimes, skaters are sensitive to small changes in their atmosphere, and the bigger the competition is, the more sensitive and considerate you have to become to other skaters in the rink. Not just Yuzu. 

This JP fanyu post is being retweeted alot. Basically, it says not everyone in the stadium will be fanyus, and some will dislike the song being sung after kiss and cry. Japanese fans are very against it being sung during competition in consideration of these other fans and of the next skater skating after Yuzu.

Some japanese fans don't even want it sung after open practice, but I don't know about that because it's after open practice and no one has a competition straight afterwards. It won't affect their performance so I think after open practice would be more appropriate.

I am for a Birthday Banner during competition. I am for throwing cake plushies. I am for doing creative birthday videos. I am for fans making birthday shirts. Just not singing after kiss and cry.

Also singing during victory ceremony and gala is debatable as the timing is important. 

I'm pretty sure this happy birthday thing has been subject to more scrutiny than preparations for hosting state dinners with foreign heads of government. The stakes really just aren't that high, guys.

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Anyways, let's drag this convo to a different plane, if we can: anyone care to venture a guess on the JNats podium? Shoma seems to be such a wild card right now, I don't know if I would lay odds on him.

1 hour ago, memae said:

Also, on JNats: Is Takahashi competing for a singles swan song before officially beginning to compete in ice dance next season? I haven't been keeping up.

That's what I heard last. Not really sure how much it will turn into reality, however. JSF seems to love him, so I kind of think if he shows there's a big chance they'll do everything in their power to lift him onto podium, cuz that's kind of what happened last year (granted, Keiji and Kazuki not doing that well did help Dai out a lot). Probably Shoma as well, unless the recent mess surrounding him has resulted in JSF turning against him. So I think 1. Yuzu 2. Shoma 3. Dai is still a pretty likely podium unless some of the other men really pull it together, which didn't happen last year.

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

That's what I heard last. Not really sure how much it will turn into reality, however. JSF seems to love him, so I kind of think if he shows there's a big chance they'll do everything in their power to lift him onto podium, cuz that's kind of what happened last year (granted, Keiji and Kazuki not doing that well did help Dai out a lot). Probably Shoma as well, unless the recent mess surrounding him has resulted in JSF turning against him. So I think 1. Yuzu 2. Shoma 3. Dai is still a pretty likely podium unless some of the other men really pull it together, which didn't happen last year.

Don't forget Yuma. From Junior Nationals, seem like JSF want to push him into senior podium this year, the same what they did with Shoma in 2014. Yuma is consistent and has some good qualities. I think aside from Yuzuru, JNats is wide open. 

As for the Happy birthday thing, its not that deep, singing a HBD song is just about 10-15 sec. Of course not everyone there is Yuzuru fan, but I don't think anyone would be against when fans want to celebrate his birthday. If its Kevin birthday and his fans start to sing, I think fanyus would help them as well. I think at the moment, people debate about the timing, and everyone agree after the LP is a big no. I think at the end of the victory lap is quite ok, when they turn off the music ?  

27 minutes ago, Katt said:

Don't forget Yuma. From Junior Nationals, seem like JSF want to push him into senior podium this year, the same what they did with Shoma in 2014. Yuma is consistent and has some good qualities. I think aside from Yuzuru, JNats is wide open. 

As for the Happy birthday thing, its not that deep, singing a HBD song is just about 10-15 sec. Of course not everyone there is Yuzuru fan, but I don't think anyone would be against when fans want to celebrate his birthday. If its Kevin birthday and his fans start to sing, I think fanyus would help them as well. I think at the moment, people debate about the timing, and everyone agree after the LP is a big no. I think at the end of the victory lap is quite ok, when they turn off the music ?  

I do think that the other men could go over Dai and Shoma if they pull it together and Shoma and Dai do not because at the end of the day there's only so much JSF can do to push their favorites. Just not sure what the odds of that happening are--I guess my point is that everyone else has to fight hard for it, whereas Shoma and Dai will have an easier time even if they're pretty messy. I did forget about Yuma, JSF might be trying to push him as well. 

I do wonder how Yuzu will be scored at Nats. probably no better than he's scored internationally :emoticonaci2019_2:

4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I just saw someone suggest he got a home ice advantage at NHK. :rofl: These comments are an Christmas present.

While Nathan didn’t have one t skate America Lol 

And about his supposed obsession with winning I dare them to find one single elite athlete who is not obsessed with it....but I’m preaching to the choir here 😉

3 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I do think that the other men could go over Dai and Shoma if they pull it together and Shoma and Dai do not because at the end of the day there's only so much JSF can do to push their favorites. Just not sure what the odds of that happening are--I guess my point is that everyone else has to fight hard for it, whereas Shoma and Dai will have an easier time even if they're pretty messy. I did forget about Yuma, JSF might be trying to push him as well. 

I do wonder how Yuzu will be scored at Nats. probably no better than he's scored internationally :emoticonaci2019_2:

Yeah I agreed. For Yuma, if Samsonov mess up at JGPF and he win, that would make JNats even more interesting. He got 81 pcs at Junior Nats and it will rise more at Senior Nats. I trust Yuma more because he's quite consistent at the moment. 

As for Yuzuru, I only know he's gonna be fine as long as he deliver since JSF is dumb.