General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

Oh well the usual garbage plus “Yuzu is so obsessed with winning it has limited his ability to grow and meaningfully engage with this sport” 

I’m sorry too I didn’t want to generalize I meant fans of US skaters who are Yuzu antis, they are quite active right now with GPF coming soon

:happy0007::happy0007::happy0007:

the ability of some people to spout nonsense with a straight face is amazing

15 minutes ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

Oh well the usual garbage plus “Yuzu is so obsessed with winning it has limited his ability to grow and meaningfully engage with this sport” 

Can anyone translate this into anything meaningful, please? Lol 

About the Happy Birthday singing:

Yuzu has shown he is perfectly capable of shutting a crowd up while they cheer for him without being ungracious. It takes a whole of 10 seconds to sing the song (I just timed myself lol), and it could be done during the highlight reel when fans are going to scream at every jump replay anyway. If he doesn't like it, he'll just wave his hands to the crowd and put a shushing finger to his lips and it'll work like magic to silence them, as it always does, and he'll probably do it with that cute, thankful smile to let everyone know he appreciates the gesture but it's not the right time. 

20 minutes ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

Its just a matter of time. If Yuzuru struggle they would make fun of him but he's doing well so far so the only thing they can do is spreading these nonsense. Its gonna be more when GPF come close and soon US media would pick up. 

I know those us stans. When I start to follow FS in 2014, they're quite famous because there's not many active FS fans on twitter. And its funny that they mock fanyus for complain about scoring when they did exactly the same to Yuzuru back then. Complain about GOE/PCS, JSF politicks for him (they went full force after him around GPF/Nats 14) but now they act like they're above and better than fanyus lol 

16 minutes ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

I’m sorry too I didn’t want to generalize I meant fans of US skaters who are Yuzu antis, they are quite active right now with GPF coming soon

No, it's okay, I know exactly what you meant and you're right. I saw that "meaningfully engage" tweet too and there's not enough :3: in the world for that kind of take. Nothing against any other skater, coach, choreographer, or just athlete in general out there, but there's literally nobody who meaningfully engages with their sport more than Yuzu does. And even if that weren't the case, he's more than earned the right to do whatever he wants with his skating. I guess since they can't say that anyone else has skated better or scored higher than him this season, they have to resort to this pseudo-philosophical weirdness.

8 minutes ago, Fay said:

"I can't produce a meaningful critique of any substance of Yuzuru Hanyu as a person or of his skating since they don't actually exist, so please try to enjoy this fake deep sounding gibberish instead."

27 minutes ago, Fay said:

I can only assume that they are in fact all Harry Mattick stans, because we all know he does engage very meaningfully with his programmes and while I'm sure he has the competitive spirit necessary to be an athlete at that level, ummm... I don't think the competitive spirit has hindered his engagement in any way.

As one of The Harry Mattick Stans in FS fandom at all, lemme say I'm expelling the lot of them from our Pumpkin Corner. Don't want 'em. They cannot engage meaningfully with human beings.

5 hours ago, shanshani said:

Maybe it's my inherent Americanness showing, but I am also really uncomfortable with making assumptions about people's preferences based on their cultural background. You might think that because I was raised in America, I would like having Happy Birthday sung to me, but in fact I don't because I don't like being the center of attention. But Yuzu has mentioned he does like being the center of attention, so that doesn't seem like an issue that arises here. People are individuals, not distillations of their culture of birth. I agree the best policy would be if someone could ask him.

Also, as someone who has lived on multiple continents and in multiple cultures, I personally really hate it when people make assumptions about me this way. When I'm in Asia, it's "you're American, so you must x" and when I'm in America, it's "you're Asian so you must y." Those assumptions are very often wrong.

I've grew up in Australia but lived for a good whack of time in SE Asia and felt this a lot. There are things I could never deal with in Australia that are fine for me in Asia (like being called fat, lol). In Asia I felt like a lot of people had expectations about me because I'm an Australian white girl but they were things that I never really measured up to. I even feel like I have a bit of a different personality when I speak each language, and (as a linguist) I attribute that to the connection between culture and language. 

Yuzu has lived in Canada for a while, and at a pretty crucial point in self-development (i.e.: young adulthood). Even if it were fail-proof to make assumptions based on cultural background (and it absolutely isn't because people are individuals, as you said), he has some level of 'fluency' or 'proficiency', if you will, in a second culture. And in Torino, he'll be operating in that second culture because of the context - skating, where English is a lingua franca and he's with his team and coaches from Canada.  

Whatever happens, he'll handle it well. At this point I think the ball is rolling and there's no stopping it. That song is getting sung. He'll either put on a small placating smile and bear it, or he'll shush everyone, or he'll be noticeably flattered. He has never failed to respond appropriately to anything and I doubt this will be an exception.

I also think that the ISU might even encourage it, because clicks=viewers=money. I say it all the time, but money drives sports. There wouldn't be professional sport if there was no money to be made from entertainment, gambling, and advertising. 

5 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But why does it matter? They're media, they'll do what they like, and they're not the ones that count under-rotations for the scoring anyway. 

Please explain what role you think 'commentators' play in the competition, that it matters so much. In my world, commentators = broadcast journalists or former skaters  whose job it is to say completely irrelevant things while the video of the skaters plays, that most people ignore. Nothing that they say about URs or anything else actually matters in terms of the scores the skaters get.

The judges and the technical panel matter, because they are looking for URs and all the other things that go into producing a score.

I'm very confused by what you're saying.

Commentators are necessary for the entertainment value of the sport, and we wouldn't have professional sports without that because of the avenues it opens for making money. So they're important but in a very different way to those with roles that have to do with the technical and regulatory side of the sports. 

25 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

I can only assume that they are in fact all Harry Mattick stans, because we all know he does engage very meaningfully with his programmes and while I'm sure he has the competitive spirit necessary to be an athlete at that level, ummm... I don't think the competitive spirit has hindered his engagement in any way.

As one of The Harry Mattick Stans in FS fandom at all, lemme say I'm expelling the lot of them from our Pumpkin Corner. Don't want 'em. They cannot engage meaningfully with human beings.

Hey, even Harry admits to being interested in improving his score and wanting to win. So basically there isn't a single skater out there who is able to grow and engage meaningfully with the sport, apparently, because they all are so obsessed with winning....:wut:.

I wish people would try to say things that make sense. 

3 minutes ago, memae said:

Commentators are necessary for the entertainment value of the sport, and we wouldn't have professional sports without that because of the avenues it opens for making money. So they're important but in a very different way to those with roles that have to do with the technical and regulatory side of the sports. 

Yes, I get that. What I couldn't figure out was why their counting of URs mattered, because I don't think it does.