General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

But why does it matter? They're media, they'll do what they like, and they're not the ones that count under-rotations for the scoring anyway. 

Please explain what role you think 'commentators' play in the competition, that it matters so much. In my world, commentators = broadcast journalists or former skaters  whose job it is to say completely irrelevant things while the video of the skaters plays, that most people ignore. Nothing that they say about URs or anything else actually matters in terms of the scores the skaters get.

The judges and the technical panel matter, because they are looking for URs and all the other things that go into producing a score.

I'm very confused by what you're saying.

I care about what commentators around the world may or may not say after or during the competition about Yuzu's fans singing happy birthday during a live competition. And if it turns out to be a negative comment, Yuzu will be embarrassed at his fans behavior. Because both you and I know singing songs loudly during live competition is not common behavior of any figure skating fans in any discipline: ice dance, pairs, ladies.

Also you cannot deny they are influential people in figure skating. Regardless of the commentator's nationality, what they say does have an impact, especially if it is a negative comment on how some fans misbehave. 

Yuzu watches all his replays with different commentary (he once said so himself) and I don't want him to hear anything negative about his fans from commentators. 

Re B-day, sorry sorry, got it! :doh:

This is a completely different topic in my mind, but I often think Yuzu fits the traditional Japanese stereotype in terms of manners and consideration for others a lot more than most people of our time. He bows to everyone at every occasion, lines up journalists' recorders for them, helps prepare the conference room, straightens up desks and chairs when it's over, tidies up his hotel room before he leaves, treats the national flags carefully, applauds to the fellow skaters on the podium etc... the list goes on and on. Many young people today don’t do these things. Maybe it's the influence of his father, who is a schoolteacher. I'm a type of person who, when abroad, is quick to pick up their language and mannerisms and don't mind eating local food every day, but he's not like that either. It amazes me how his English could still be broken after all these years. (Sorry, Yuzu!) In many other ways though, he doesn’t fit the stereotype. He can be bold, showy and very competitive. It also seems he can be outgoing but doesn’t necessarily like to flock. I guess what I want to say is, he’s a little bit of an odd boll (in a good way) and very special, and I love him for that.

32 minutes ago, Lily* said:

This is a completely different topic in my mind, but I often think Yuzu fits the traditional Japanese stereotype in terms of manners and consideration for others a lot more than most people of our time. He bows to everyone at every occasion, lines up journalists' recorders for them, helps prepare the conference room, straightens up desks and chairs when it's over, tidies up his hotel room before he leaves, treats the national flags carefully, applauds to the fellow skaters on the podium etc... the list goes on and on. Many young people today don’t do these things. Maybe it's the influence of his father, who is a schoolteacher. I'm a type of person who, when abroad, are quick to pick up their language and mannerisms and don't mind eating local food every day, but he's not like that either. It amazes me how his English could still be broken after all these years. (Sorry, Yuzu!) In many other ways though, he doesn’t fit the stereotype. He can be bold, showy and very competitive. It also seems he can be outgoing but doesn’t necessarily like to flock. I guess what I want to say is, he’s a little bit of an odd boll (in a good way) and very special, and I love him for that.

What I wanted to say too. I also noticed he hangs out privately with mostly Japanese skaters (Oda) outside his private schedule such as going to restaurants to eat with them (Oda said he and Yuzu go out to eat during summer whilst Yuzu is in Japan). 

I used to think Yuzu is a bit anti-social because he said he doesn't go out with anyone in Toronto, but then found out, Yuzu does go out with people he feels comfortable with (like Oda).

I hope Nobu will be at the GPF, in his usual role as TV Asahi commentator.  He will bring out the "surprise" Birthday cake and sing HBD at some point during the event - which had become a tradition of sorts in the last few GPFs attended by Yuzu.  This will magically put an end to all the debate about HBD.   I am more concerned about Nobu's well-being and look forward to seeing him reconnect with his good friend and engage in lighthearted Kansai banter - which should lift everyone's spirit!

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

That's true, I found Toronto to be pretty good in the short times I visited, although I did have an uber driver once try to get me to commiserate with him on the influx of Indian immigrants? Super awkward, my parents are immigrants, I'm an immigrant, I'm not going to join you in complaining about immigrants just because I speak English with a North American accent and they're not from my ethnic group, dude. (Let me stop before this veers to much into politics.) But overall, my experiences with Toronto have been good. Vancouver, on the other hand, I found to be full of people who were inexplicably rude, including doing things like assuming Japanese tourists were Chinese and expecting them to speak English even though they were just tourists...it's baffling, they're in the same country! Maybe I was just unlucky.

Anyway, hopefully Yuzu and his mom haven't had to deal much with that stuff.

I personally haven't spent much time in Vancouver so I can't say much, but the city has whole suburbs that are Asian (particularly Chinese) so a Vancouverite might assume that, rather than being a tourist, you're from Richmond, B.C. or one of the other Asian suburbs and therefore know English...but that doesn't excuse rudeness at all. 

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Also you cannot deny they are influential people in figure skating. Regardless of the commentator's nationality, what they say does have an impact, especially if it is a negative comment on how some fans misbehave. 

Okay, I understand your concern a bit better, but I don't share it. I think the media in general are much less influential in the figure skating world than we think, and the ones that are influential, are also former skaters themselves, who all know perfectly well what it's like to have overjoyed fans cheering or singing or whatever. 

I also don't put much credence in media comments during competitions in general; all journalism has a 'here today, gone tomorrow' aspect and this is particularly true for sports, and even more so for live commentary during an event. Most of the time, the commentators are saying any old thing to try and fill airspace, so I can't take their comments seriously at all and I don't think anyone else should, either. Unlike Yuzuru's incredible performances, which are everlasting gems of beauty, the commentary is, to my mind, disposable and mostly to be ignored. 

Anyway, since no one is actually planning to sing during the competition but instead at the end of practice, it should be moot. 

Moving on...

1 hour ago, Lily* said:

This is a completely different topic in my mind, but I often think Yuzu fits the traditional Japanese stereotype in terms of manners and consideration for others a lot more than most people of our time. He bows to everyone at every occasion, lines up journalists' recorders for them, helps prepare the conference room, straightens up desks and chairs when it's over, tidies up his hotel room before he leaves, treats the national flags carefully, applauds to the fellow skaters on the podium etc... the list goes on and on. Many young people today don’t do these things. Maybe it's the influence of his father, who is a schoolteacher. I'm a type of person who, when abroad, are quick to pick up their language and mannerisms and don't mind eating local food every day, but he's not like that either. It amazes me how his English could still be broken after all these years. (Sorry, Yuzu!) In many other ways though, he doesn’t fit the stereotype. He can be bold, showy and very competitive. It also seems he can be outgoing but doesn’t necessarily like to flock. I guess what I want to say is, he’s a little bit of an odd boll (in a good way) and very special, and I love him for that.

I'm of the impression that he makes it a point to do these things as a sort of rebuttal to his detractors, as well as being well brought up. 

2 hours ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

Can we move on now please. While we are discussing this,  US stans are happily tearing Yuzu’s skating apart on Twitter.

What is it about this time? Do we need to engage with our facts and video evidence again? is it worth it?

Apparently Fanyus have a reputation of being annoyingly informed and difficult to argue with because we have facts and understand the rules  :reading::devil3:

3 時間前, shanshaniさんが言いました:

That's true, I found Toronto to be pretty good in the short times I visited, although I did have an uber driver once try to get me to commiserate with him on the influx of Indian immigrants? Super awkward, my parents are immigrants, I'm an immigrant, I'm not going to join you in complaining about immigrants just because I speak English with a North American accent and they're not from my ethnic group, dude. (Let me stop before this veers to much into politics.) But overall, my experiences with Toronto have been good. Vancouver, on the other hand, I found to be full of people who were inexplicably rude, including doing things like assuming Japanese tourists were Chinese and expecting them to speak English even though they were just tourists...it's baffling, they're in the same country! Maybe I was just unlucky.

Anyway, hopefully Yuzu and his mom haven't had to deal much with that stuff.

1 時間前, rockstaryuzuさんが言いました:

I personally haven't spent much time in Vancouver so I can't say much, but the city has whole suburbs that are Asian (particularly Chinese) so a Vancouverite might assume that, rather than being a tourist, you're from Richmond, B.C. or one of the other Asian suburbs and therefore know English...but that doesn't excuse rudeness at all. 

Oh, I'd like to think shanshani was just unlucky! I spent a year in Vancouver as an ESL student and intern. Almost all the people I ever came across were so nice. They were kind to those of us international students and tourists, who could be, you know, a little slow sometimes. Like rockstaryuzu said, there is a huge Chinese community and a lot of other Asian immigrants, who seemed to be blending in nicely. I'm sure they have their own problems, but as far as I can tell, Vancouverites were very nice in general, and it confirmed the image of friendly Canadians for me. I'm glad Yuzu lives in Canada.:7938863:

56 minutes ago, Frenchkiss70 said:

I know right? :10814716: It’s still annoying to read though, I wish their bad takes wouldn’t pop on my tl and leave me in peace to enjoy the anticipation of watching Yuzu live

I apologize on behalf of sane and knowledgeable American skating fans :81: 

I usually just try to laugh that stuff off because it is funny how far they have to reach and twist themselves up in logic pretzels trying to find anything to criticize about Yuzu or his skating.

50 minutes ago, Neenah said:

What is it about this time? Do we need to engage with our facts and video evidence again? is it worth it?

Apparently Fanyus have a reputation of being annoyingly informed and difficult to argue with because we have facts and understand the rules  :reading::devil3:

Oh well the usual garbage plus “Yuzu is so obsessed with winning it has limited his ability to grow and meaningfully engage with this sport” 

37 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

I apologize on behalf of sane and knowledgeable American skating fans :81: 

I’m sorry too I didn’t want to generalize I meant fans of US skaters who are Yuzu antis, they are quite active right now with GPF coming soon