General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, TallyT said:

On the other hand, it was Yuzu who organised a whole rink of people singing Happy Birthday to both Javi (COiNTU) and David Wilson....

And as I already said to @Henni147, they're not Japanese, so it's different. It's about who the birthday boy/girl is, not who does the initiating. Javi is Spanish, David is Canadian, Yuzu is Japanese. Yuzu being Japanese is why there is a chance being sang to might make him uncomfortable. I'm starting to wonder if I'm really bad at explaining this, because it seems quite simple and logical to me by now :headdesk2:

2 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

And as I already said to @Henni147, they're not Japanese, so it's different. It's about who the birthday boy/girl is, not who does the initiating. Javi is Spanish, David is Canadian, Yuzu is Japanese. Yuzu being Japanese is why there is a chance being sang to might make him uncomfortable. I'm starting to wonder if I'm really bad at explaining this, because it seems quite simple and logical to me by now :headdesk2:

Sorry, the thread moves so fast, I missed that.

3 hours ago, Umebachi said:

I fully agree with your friend.  B-days are not part of our traditional culture: it has become popular for young children and it is seen as indulging the very young but not appropriate for adults. I personally don't feel comfortable with Bday parties or people singing HBD to me, even after 30 years in international organizations where this was a regular occurence.  I have tolerated it and have smiled to show appreciation but I have to admit now that it was never a pleasant experience for me (apologies to all my colleagues who were so kind to me...).  Why this discomfort?  I can't speak for others, but for me it feels like calling attention to oneself, way too much focus on self/ego, and I feel that bad karma will strike me for being so self-indulgent (bachi-atari).  I know and appreciate that this is NOT what it is meant to be around the world,  and I am glad to see how much joy it brings to so many cultures around the world.  I am just conveying my personal reaction and why I have such a visceral negative reaction to B-day parties for myself... 

I am not making any judgement on whether the audience should or should not sing HBD.  That is a personal choice and I celebrate all expressions of love and appreciation for Yuzu and grateful to all the fans for caring so much.   I am just explaining and sharing why some (not all) Japanese feel a little bit uncomfortable with it so that you are aware of the general atmosphere.  Since GPF is in Torino, you will probably not meet too many frowns of disapprobation (except from some Japanese aunties..?). 

I must be japanese at heart because I've always felt so embaressed during that singing,even when I was a child LOL @Umebachithank you for this very intersting part of your culture !

Anyhow back to Yuzuru I honestly have no idea where he stand on this but I also believe fans only want to celebrate him even more,it's like showing him their affection and I'm pretty sure he would understand this.

5 hours ago, ICeleste said:

Who gives a f*** what Rafael or Nathan have to say about it????? why would we attach that much importance to their words... They keep saying embarrassing excuses anyway like the "pooh psychological warfare" at PC

*Raf keeps saying things.

In the press con at WC Nathan described the Poohs as pretty cool or amazing or something along those lines. 

14 minutes ago, TallyT said:

Didn't someone say the GPF organisers have said they're okay with it? They wouldn't have if they suspectedt Yuzu would not like it, it's quite possible he already knows it's a possibility....

I highly doubt they would ask him or even consider the possibility of him not being okay with it. This conversation here is proof that there is a big difference of attitude toward these things between different cultures and some people seem to be surprised by it.

As for Yuzu, I think he may expect it after practice since it happened like that last time, which is why I think it is the best time since he is most likely to be prepared for it then.

58 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

My very personal standpoint is: I don't do anything to others, what I don't like myself. Independent from age, gender, nationality, religion or culture. If I do, I can't complain about backfiring. Yuzu initiated the singing for Javi and David and visibly enjoyed it. So he can't say anything, if Javi or David or anybody sings for him in public next time.

However, I understand and respect your point of view as well. We as fans should be supportive and smart at the same time and it's good to talk about such things, before they end in a fiasco.

1 hour ago, Paskud said:

In what way singing Happy Birthday is different than audience screaming "omedeto" at CiONTU? Or at FaoI when he got People's Honour Award?

I'm pretty sure that if it was FaOI his birthday fell on, no one would object to singing Happy Birthday for him, but that's because FaOI is a show - all the skaters are in the same boat, no one's career is going to be affected if the audience decides to do something over the top.

GPF is a competition, and a pretty serious one at that. Not only medals but money is at stake for the participants.  It's incumbent upon everyone attending to act accordingly. 

I think that this is a case where 'timing is everything'. If you're going to sing for him, pick wisely as to when you do it. 

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm pretty sure that if it was FaOI his birthday fell on, no one would object to singing Happy Birthday for him, but that's because FaOI is a show - all the skaters are in the same boat, no one's career is going to be affected if the audience decides to do something over the top.

GPF is a competition, and a pretty serious one at that. Not only medals but money is at stake for the participants.  It's incumbent upon everyone attending to act accordingly. 

I think that this is a case where 'timing is everything'. If you're going to sing for him, pick wisely as to when you do it. 

I agree. I also think that for various reasons the end of practice is probably the best option.

I just don't understand how, overall, singing him Happy Birthday may be a bad idea.

I think singing Happy Birthday in a relaxed show setting is completely fine, but during a competition is another thing altogether. You have to be respectful to the skaters who are trying to concentrate, whether it be Yuzu or any other competitor. Add to that these competitions are timed to the minute, the song may be short but if it delays  the next competitor or interferes with people concentrating on their scores, skating, or judging then I think the singing could be more disruptive than it would be celebratory (plus, some people just don't care for that type of thing - I certainly don't like to be sung to in public). Like someone said, timing and place is key and I think singing would only be appropriate after the competition has concluded (either victory ceremony when they're doing a victory lap, or gala as I mentioned earlier).

I saw japanese fans translating the original tweet that started all this. They were mortified at the possibility of singing during Kiss and Cry. If it is sung during Kiss and Cry, we can't hear the commentators analyze Yuzu's jumps and spins in the replay. The commentators themselves have to be focused during the replays to see whether there were any under rotatations. It's harder for commentators all around the world to stay focused during replays if they notice the whole crowd is singing. The HPB sing a long during Kiss and Cry has never been done for any discipline. Not pairs, not ice dance, not ladies - and for good reason. A competition is not a fan party. And this is GPF, the competition Yuzu has been waiting 3 years to compete him. And seeing as how Yuzu wanted his fans to wrap poohs in plastic bags, Yuzu cares more about how his next skater might feel than how Yuzu himself feels. And Yuzu apparently also apologized to the next skater during 2018 ACI because people threw poohs. This year, hardly any fan threw poohs at ACI because of what he did last year. Also remember how Yuzu was busy to pick up poohs during 2018 ACI after he skated? He wanted the ice cleared faster for the next skater. That's how much he cares when there are rules to follow

And also remember he told a fan to be quiet with his gestures during 2018 ACI, right after he skated? Because a fan started screaming too loud after he skated. He is very sensitive to how the next skater might be feeling..

So please don't do it during kiss and cry. It will make bad press for the japanese media. 

I don't see a problem if it's done during/after a practice. Despite his cultural heritage, he's been around the international scene long enough to know that people want to celebrate this *for him.* I would think he knows that this might happen during a big competition, he has been feted before at GPF on his birthday, so would see it as the kind gesture it is meant to be, even if he may not love it and might be a bit embarrassed.  And since he's in a sport where you are the centre of attention, and he admittedly loves that, then I"m sure he'd be fine with it, as long as there was no disruption to his fellow competitors. 

i remember the crowd sang Happy Birthday to Yagudin at World's in Vancouver in 2001 during a practice... (I think he even sat on the boards and just enjoyed it), and he was really loved in Canada, so it would not be an unusual thing for an affectionate crowd to do this sort of thing.

10 minutes ago, liv said:

I don't see a problem if it's done during/after a practice. Despite his cultural heritage, he's been around the international scene long enough to know that people want to celebrate this *for him.* I would think he knows that this might happen during a big competition, he has been feted before at GPF on his birthday, so would see it as the kind gesture it is meant to be, even if he may not love it and might be a bit embarrassed.  And since he's in a sport where you are the centre of attention, and he admittedly loves that, then I"m sure he'd be fine with it, as long as there was no disruption to his fellow competitors. 

i remember the crowd sang Happy Birthday to Yagudin at World's in Vancouver in 2001 during a practice... (I think he even sat on the boards and just enjoyed it), and he was really loved in Canada, so it would not be an unusual thing for an affectionate crowd to do this sort of thing.

I don't mind singing it after practice either, but big jp fanyu accounts like blue cosmos just retweeted this....

Apparently japanese fans didn't like it sung even after practice. 

There is definitely a cultural difference. It's not really about birthdays but about competitions, public settings, and respect for others. I'm in the Japanese Yuzu fandom on twitter. I haven't seen a single favorable opinion. Most of them are like "Oh no, please, please don't! I don't speak English. Someone please talk them out of it!" Some people are aware of this cultural difference and feeling frustrated and helpless saying it's impossible to make other people understand their perspective. But I don't think so because we all care for Yuzu and I've seen sensible cross-cultural discussions here. Differences are all good, but when it comes to pleasing someone, you should respect what they value and appreciate. By the way, what I’m talking about here is Japanese culture in general, but more precisely Yuzu fandom culture. Different skaters have different fan cultures, which mirror their personalities and wishes. This honorable nitpicky culture is precisely his.

This is not about what we want. This should be about Yuzu. He already knows and appreciates fans' love and support. There are many other ways to show them. Of course, I can't say for Yuzu how he really feels about the whole thing, but there is a considerable risk of doing something that bothers him at a very very important competition. Do you really want to give him embarrassment and discomfort as a Birthday present?

I’m not sure about the timing. I’m pretty easy-going, so I’d be okay as long as it’s not during the competition. But I’m not Yuzu, so I don’t know.

Edit: I don’t mean to say Japanese fans know Yuzu better. For the record, there are different attitudes and opinions about many things. They conflict among themselves too. I’m just saying, when all those different people do agree, that’s something.