General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, fyere0 said:

JSF: *doesn't politick for him in an an insanely political environment where athletes from all other big feds are getting generous boosts to keep up with each other's inflation*

Media, Commentators: *won't shut up about the achievements and many superior talents of his direct rivals*

Yuzu: *does an excellent job*

Media, JSF: Why wasn't it a world record...we thought you were the best... Somewhat Of A Disappointment...you were supposed to cure cancer during the FCCoSp...guess you tried...+3

I hope Yuzu reads this comment and know that although Japanese media expect ridiculous over the top achievements from him all the time, us fans know he is human and he can be weak and he can still just enjoy his performance on the ice. I really don't want the media pressure to choke him or make him feel trapped. I hope him the best and wish him to ignore the jp media when he has to. They are some of the most over hyped figure skating media in the world and they have only escalated in wanting to write the most catchy, eye-catching click bait stories about Yuzu the past 6 years. 

11 hours ago, quadaxelwin said:

Jp media pressures Yuzu so much with questions about World Records, Nathan and so on, that I sometimes think it will be impossible for Yuzu to compete for the joy of skating, not because of Yuzu, but because JP media will never be satisfied with Yuzu just enjoying himself on the ice.

I really dislike this whole media pressure they force on Yuzu, it's too much.

Is it because they watch so much sports anime there that they always have to have an athlete that always wins and breaks records?
I hope they just let him breathe and be human and make mistakes and still be okay with it. 
Why does Yuzu have to be perfect for them? To be honest the level of expectation and pressure they have been exuding these last press conferences at NHK with all those WR related questions was ridiculous and over the top. I'm mad at the judges for underscoring him, but more mad at the JP media for constantly making him feel like some robot that always has to deliver for their entertainment and surprise. 

I'm not sure it's in Yuzu's nature to compete just for the joy of skating. He hates losing and seems to always search for new challenges.

That said, I'm sure having just his own pressure and ambitions, and unconditional support otherwise would be preferable. Or would it? People having expectations, while a pressure, also means people believe him capable of meeting those expectations. It's a sort of support as well. Just like any kind of support can become pressure, just because he will want to make those supporting him happy. In a way, the whole pressure-support thing is a catch-22.

However, the problem is with the reactions when he doesn't meet those expectations. So I'd say it's less the pressure and expectations and more the fact that they don't seem capable of understanding he can't always be perfect. I like the way Japanese fans continue supporting their athletes through hard times - I saw it in Helsinki really well, they were so supportive when things didn't go right for Kaori and also for Keiji. Here, we have Halep, for example... when she wins, she's the best ever, our pride and joy. When she loses, she's crap and obviously had no chance to win. And this is coming from the people watching, not the media. The media lifting up and tearing down athletes depending on results happens everywhere, so it's not that surprising. In Japan I think it's slightly more subtle than elsewhere, but it really happens everywhere. It still sucks though :emoticonaci2019_2:

I think, this victory at NHK is a really really wonderful birthday present for Ghislain.

I remember that in 2017 he made the trip to NHK with Yuzu alone in Brian's and Tracy's absence. (Brian was in hospital at that time, aye?) It must have been a really hard time for Ghislain to comfort Yuzu after his injury and give him wise advices in that difficult situation.

So this return in 2019 was very special for both Yuzu and Ghislain. The bond between them must be stronger than ever after everything they've gone through together.

Looking at Yuzu's scores and comparing them to Nathan's, I can't think that anybody other than the Americans does not see Yuzu as the heavy favorite going into the GPF.  Both of Yuzu's results were over 300 in the combined, whereas Nathan failed to top 300 in his competitions.  Moreover, while Nathan's margins of victory were substantial, both of Yuzu's were essentially blowouts.  If Yuzu maintains his momentum going through the season, this might be his greatest since his undefeated season of 2009/10, his last season as a Junior skater.  What remains this season?  GPF and then Japanese nationals, maybe 4CC and then worlds.  What we are seeing this season is a consistent Yuzu, one who's truly mastered his programs and skates with the confidence that comes with that level of mastery.  I think the GOAT is getting back into form.

On 11/22/2019 at 6:28 PM, fyere0 said:

JSF: *doesn't politick for him in an an insanely political environment where athletes from all other big feds are getting generous boosts to keep up with each other's inflation*

Media, Commentators: *won't shut up about the achievements and many superior talents of his direct rivals*

Yuzu: *does an excellent job*

Media, JSF: Why wasn't it a world record...we thought you were the best... Somewhat Of A Disappointment...you were supposed to cure cancer during the FCCoSp...guess you tried...+3

the JP media asked him about the 4A after the worlds, knowing he wasn't recovered. what can one expect from them?