General Yuzuru Chat

13 minutes ago, Paskud said:

I refuse to take part in this circus.:yucky:

Then Eteri will win everything lol. It's like people refusing to participate in elections and giving disproportionate voices to the minority of the country? Not participating will not stop them from taking it seriously, it'll just give them the wrong idea when others won't hesitate to participate 

12 minutes ago, Salior said:

Then Eteri will win everything lol. Not participating will not stop them from taking it seriously, it'll just give them the wrong idea when others won't hesitate to participate 

Public votes only for nominees. Winners are dicided by jury anyway.

And coach award will go to Gadbois. Bookmark me, if you want.

6 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Hi there, I know I haven't written since late September but I have some questions. First off is that I already sent him some fan mail in the skater's gift box (a letter with a translated copy, stickers, some pictures and a self addressed envelope) at ACI 2019. Just hearing that it would take a few years to hear back from him, I wonder that amount of time has changed or if it has stayed the same? Would like to hear if anyone in the forum has heard from him though. 

On a side note, I am having a hard time deciding on another figure skating event to go to. However I have to keep in mind the distance from where I am at (in Ottawa, ON) and the vacation time I am entitled to per year is two weeks as an assistant cook. Even I had to draw the line with Kelowna, but I am unsure if Calgary or Mississauga is too far. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Honestly, I'm not sure if he's ever replied to fans not based in Japan. I sent a fanmail at NHK 2017 and wrote my address somewhere just for kicks and never got anything. Admittedly, it was also handwritten and it could be they didn't bother trying to decipher what it said, because I wasn't really serious about it. He gets insane amounts of fanmail, so it's unlikely he - or even his team - have any chance of keeping up with it. Hopefully he gets to read them, but even that probably takes time. He gets fanmail at competitions, he probably gets fanmail through JSF, he gets fanmail at TCC, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fanmail at Ice Rink Sendai, too. On top of that, since there are so many by now, it's possible they have decided not to reply anymore. I know musicians who never reply to fanmail, because they would never be able to answer everyone and they don't want to appear to be favoring everyone. So, my advice is not to write to him expecting a reply at any time. I don't think it's likely to come, at least not any time soon. I think it's best to just write to him for him and be happy he'll get it and probably get to read it, sooner or later :snpeace: Also, even if the reply comes some day, it'll be some standard "Thank you for your support" message, definitely not a personalized reply to your particular letter. Because sadly, he has no time for that anymore.

If you have the chance, I'd suggest participating in message gathering campaigns as those are usually more likely to reach him directly and he might get to see those more quickly. For example, when I was at NHK 2017, there was a Yuzu poster exhibition in Sendai and they had notebooks to write messages in. I wrote a message and then when they made the big Sendai broadcasting poster I forgot what it was for, they had Yuzu Seimei hydroblading and messages from those notebooks printed around him. On the website they had a real life size version of the poster so you could read the messages and I actually found mine on it. It's very likely he did see that. Also, before Olys, P&G gathered messages for him, printed them in a huge book and you could see him flipping through it afterwards. There was also the Kose blog comments section. On top of that there are many fan projects that often get delivered straight to TCC. Those are probably easier for him to receive and go through than letters upon letters. They're also shorter, which might help him see as many as possible.

53 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Honestly, I'm not sure if he's ever replied to fans not based in Japan. I sent a fanmail at NHK 2017 and wrote my address somewhere just for kicks and never got anything. Admittedly, it was also handwritten and it could be they didn't bother trying to decipher what it said, because I wasn't really serious about it. He gets insane amounts of fanmail, so it's unlikely he - or even his team - have any chance of keeping up with it. Hopefully he gets to read them, but even that probably takes time. He gets fanmail at competitions, he probably gets fanmail through JSF, he gets fanmail at TCC, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets fanmail at Ice Rink Sendai, too. On top of that, since there are so many by now, it's possible they have decided not to reply anymore. I know musicians who never reply to fanmail, because they would never be able to answer everyone and they don't want to appear to be favoring everyone. So, my advice is not to write to him expecting a reply at any time. I don't think it's likely to come, at least not any time soon. I think it's best to just write to him for him and be happy he'll get it and probably get to read it, sooner or later :snpeace: Also, even if the reply comes some day, it'll be some standard "Thank you for your support" message, definitely not a personalized reply to your particular letter. Because sadly, he has no time for that anymore.

If you have the chance, I'd suggest participating in message gathering campaigns as those are usually more likely to reach him directly and he might get to see those more quickly. For example, when I was at NHK 2017, there was a Yuzu poster exhibition in Sendai and they had notebooks to write messages in. I wrote a message and then when they made the big Sendai broadcasting poster I forgot what it was for, they had Yuzu Seimei hydroblading and messages from those notebooks printed around him. On the website they had a real life size version of the poster so you could read the messages and I actually found mine on it. It's very likely he did see that. Also, before Olys, P&G gathered messages for him, printed them in a huge book and you could see him flipping through it afterwards. There was also the Kose blog comments section. On top of that there are many fan projects that often get delivered straight to TCC. Those are probably easier for him to receive and go through than letters upon letters. They're also shorter, which might help him see as many as possible.

That's actually a great idea. It sounds much easier than the stress of sending him fan mail and worrying about it constantly. Do you know where I can find out about these message gathering campaigns and where to find one near me?

8 hours ago, Paskud said:

Public votes only for nominees. Winners are dicided by jury anyway.

And coach award will go to Gadbois. Bookmark me, if you want.

Hope so. I'd love to see the Eteri fans' faces when they see the results. Interacted with a bunch of them on reddit and they're not the nicest of persons 

I don’t even want to give them the satisfaction of winning the nominee votes though, that’s why I registered

13 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Hi there, I know I haven't written since late September but I have some questions. First off is that I already sent him some fan mail in the skater's gift box (a letter with a translated copy, stickers, some pictures and a self addressed envelope) at ACI 2019. Just hearing that it would take a few years to hear back from him, I wonder that amount of time has changed or if it has stayed the same? Would like to hear if anyone in the forum has heard from him though. 

Brian once said Yuzu's fanmails often stack up from the floor to his shoulders. I seriously doubt he can reply to all of them now, his fandom probably exploded more than 100x since 2012, after two high profile Olympics and all. You should see the charts where they keep track of new members of Yuzu fan groups on Weibo and FB etc, the spike after Olympics are insane. Each time he breaks a record they experience a spike as well. Weibo went from like 200k to 640k followers (~2015-2019)? FB went from like 7k to 20k members (2016-2018). It makes more sense for him to reply to earlier fanmails before 2014 since there's not much of them yet comparatively. Nonchan is a well-known translator of Aoi Hono among the fandom too, not sure if Yuzu knows about that, but considering how much he lurks, maybe. 

5 hours ago, Cynthia said:

That's actually a great idea. It sounds much easier than the stress of sending him fan mail and worrying about it constantly. Do you know where I can find out about these message gathering campaigns and where to find one near me?

I believe most of them are held during the off-season? The last one I remember was by P&G where he ended up with a book this thick lol. Most fan initiatives will occur near his birthday? Not sure if there's one this year, anyone knows about it? 

But for real I'd say really don't worry about it, I've sent a couple of stuff myself and I don't expect him to reply. What's important is that he knows he is loved, and whether he replies or not is secondary to me imo. It's hard not to expect anything, but I've accepted that going through his fanmails and replying them will probably need a full time job. Maybe he'll go through like... 8 years of backlog after he retires? lmao. I hope he doesn't though, it sounds exhausting, and it's not my intention to exhaust him when I send him stuff.

It's just difficult to devote individual attention when there's so many of us. We can have faith that if we send things through the right channels it'll definitely reach him, and that's enough for me. Brian is a very responsible fanmail collector haha, so is JSF! 

13 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I have to confess that I've always been a hot chocolate purist - if I must have something in it, I'm more likely to go for a slug of Irish cream liqueur than anything like the extravagance Yuzu seems to like. 

:xD::LOL:

I'm more towards a bit of port or creme de menthe myself, or just a good dose of cinnamon. 

My trick with hot chocolate is to put whipped cream in the bottom of the mug and pour the hot chocolate (real chocolate stirred into simmering milk, nothing else) over it because then it'll foam up just nicely. 

4 hours ago, memae said:

I'm more towards a bit of port or creme de menthe myself, or just a good dose of cinnamon. 

My trick with hot chocolate is to put whipped cream in the bottom of the mug and pour the hot chocolate (real chocolate stirred into simmering milk, nothing else) over it because then it'll foam up just nicely. 

That sounds good! I'll have to try. 

13 hours ago, Salior said:

Hope so. I'd love to see the Eteri fans' faces when they see the results. Interacted with a bunch of them on reddit and they're not the nicest of persons 

I don’t even want to give them the satisfaction of winning the nominee votes though, that’s why I registered

And I don't. I have enough of them being smug of themselves while not able to teach their skaters how to properly do RD pattern.

BTW, public can't vote for best coach nominee.

34 minutes ago, Paskud said:

And I don't. I have enough of them being smug of themselves while not able to teach their skaters how to properly do RD pattern.

BTW, public can't vote for best coach nominee.

wow just checked the rules, that's awesome lmao. The media vote looks silly though, how many journalists cover ice dance compared to singles skating? Bold of ISU to assume that they're more knowledgeable than the fans 

I'd say let's still try to crush them in the most valuable and best costume category though haha, maybe even most entertaining program too! Even though public scores only 1/3 of the total score. From the FAQ it seems like they're trying to put about 5 skaters/pairs for each discipline to put up for voting in each category, but only 3 nominees in total will remain in the end

Saw this article by Mags a while ago, seems like ISU tried to emulate other sports awards but made it turn out like a joke. I mean none of the awards are technical related? How are they going to get prestige like the hockey and basketball awards like this. 

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2019/06/19/fs-figure-skating-awards-an-idea-for-the-isu/?fbclid=IwAR31CNcveQVEU-hzV-S8uzEgLiZ410-uA8MlqFmbdrvn2oSquBFmZvVTYh8 

47 minutes ago, Salior said:

wow just checked the rules, that's awesome lmao. The media vote looks silly though, how many journalists cover ice dance compared to singles skating? Bold of ISU to assume that they're more knowledgeable than the fans 

I'd say let's still try to crush them in the most valuable and best costume category though haha, maybe even most entertaining program too! Even though public scores only 1/3 of the total score. From the FAQ it seems like they're trying to put about 5 skaters/pairs for each discipline to put up for voting in each category, but only 3 nominees in total will remain in the end

Saw this article by Mags a while ago, seems like ISU tried to emulate other sports awards but made it turn out like a joke. I mean none of the awards are technical related? How are they going to get prestige like the hockey and basketball awards like this. 

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2019/06/19/fs-figure-skating-awards-an-idea-for-the-isu/?fbclid=IwAR31CNcveQVEU-hzV-S8uzEgLiZ410-uA8MlqFmbdrvn2oSquBFmZvVTYh8 

Most Valuable - my theory is that this category was specifically created for Yuzuru to give him something and shut down peoples' complaints.

Costume - this one depends who will be in nominees, but for now my bet is on Anna's costume change.

Entertaining Program - mister innovative artist FP.