General Yuzuru Chat

6 hours ago, sweetwater said:

The reason why Asahi didn't air SCI live is simple. Singles events were held in early in the morning or around noon. It is opposite to prime time so they cannot sell the ad spots at a preferable price if they air it live. In a way, they are doing the exact opposite of what NBC does regarding the Olympics although they are both pursuing profits. Asahi aired CoC2014 live since men's events were held in the evening in Japan. They also aired TEB2013 live in the morning and it was before Yuzu became this famous...

As to the way Japanese media treat our athletes, most of them are just opportunists. Last year, after GPF, they were praising Rika as undefeated and showing Alina as who passed her prime. There are some reporters and sports journalists who are always supportive of any athletes, though. In many cases, they are former athletes.

Just to clarify, but to compete in SCI and TEB in 2013 was not Yuzu's choice. When you finish in the top 6 at Worlds, you can request the competitions you want to take part in. However, it is the organizers who decide whether to invite you or not, and they often decline your requests. For example, Nathan requested NHK this year since it was convenient for him but NHK did not invite him since they wanted Yuzu. (Podium finishers at Worlds normally don't compete with each other in GPS until they qualified to GPF) In early 2013, Yuzu was injured and there were many strong men's singles skaters in Japan. Yuzu could not afford to choose 2 GPs with Patrick risking the chance to compete in GPF which was a qualifying event for Sochi. It is just Yuzu and his team accepted the assignment as an opportunity to learn and did their best.

As to the capacity of competition venues,I agree with others. He doesn't decide where to compete based on the venue's capacity. The arena in which NHK 2015 was held has only 5000 seats. Makomanai arena in which NHK 2019 will be held has about 6000 seats, although they will make some arena seats in addition to this.

I remember him saying verbally in an interview he chose to do idf and SC because he wanted practice competing with Patrick before Sochi, but who knows what the truth really is. 

As for the capacity of Mokdong, about 4500 ~ 4800 seats will be available to us depending on how many Japanese media fill up the seats if Yuzu comes to 4CC.

That being said, I also heard competitions in Korea are more competitive to get tickets than japan as they are a purchase system rather than buy-then-lottery-win-system like comps in japan.

Also korea is close to japan and china, and yuzu's 2 biggest fan bases are japan and china, so it would be very hard to get tickets if he goes!

I hear you can only buy nhk trophy tickets if you have an address in Japan or by some travel agency but that's expensive.

So going to korea to see Yuzu will be a lot easier and cheaper than going to japan to see yuzu compete.

Hence I am expecting a full packed arena if Yuzu does compete in 4CC (for the men's). 

I just hope he goes to 4CC this season, because maybe I can fly to Korea because it will be a a lot cheaper than going to Japan, USA etc. 

:nod2:

Didn't Yuzu say something in one of his interviews after SCI about how last season he cleared the "jinx" of never winning his first GP event, and now he's won SC for the first time, and that he wants to keep clearing these 'jinxes' one by one? So if he's healthy and it makes sense to him in terms of his plans for the season, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him at 4CC. 

19 hours ago, ICeleste said:

Warning: COC 14 footage

In this interview with Han Yan, he seems to be talking about the accident and Yuzuru. Can someone please translate it? There are JPN subtitles 

He said "There were people who speculated that either I or Hanyu crashed into the other on purpose but those who talk such things do not know about figure skating" "We responded immediately and tried to avoid collision but we're moving too fast and we collided" "Nobody wants that kind of accident to happen to anybody so I was glad that Hanyu could still perform (after the crash)"

"Hanyu and I have been around the competitions with each other since we're still very young. He went up to junior circuit before me and he also started to do well in senior comps before me. He is one of the people whom I aspire to be and has many things that I can learn from" 

Through the hardships of the past years, it seems Han Yan has really matured as a person as well as a skater. At CoC this year, he's showed truly beautiful skating and gave us moving performances. I've seen many people tweeted/commented about his come back on several different sns or blogs. I'm really happy that we can still get to see skaters like Yuzu and Han Yan.

ETA: @Sukigirl and @happy_fishhad already posted it. I didn't check the last page!!

Yes, one of the reasons why I’m so glad skaters like Han and Jason are skating still is that not only do you see beautiful skating skills and mature artistry, but Yuzu’s not the only one of his age group still competing. It can be a lonely feeling knowing that you’re the last of your same age cohort still fighting for glory and I hope he takes comfort from the fact that his contemporaries are still around.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:02 PM, SuperMin said:

Some amazing 3A and other jumps.  I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of Yuzu videos since Skate Canada.  Ankles- please stay healthy!

I just know the hydroblade into 3A, soooooo coool :knc_yuzu1:. This is so crazily difficult as his hydroblade here was very low with big ice coverage and most importantly, in the opposite direction to his 3A (clockwise hydroblade STRAIGHT into counterclockwise 3A, can understand why he fell). I think it is even harder than his usual back counter entry.

Don't know if he ever landed 3A with this entry? I reallyyyy want to see. If not, I hope he can do it someday in competition, just so cool :clapclap4:

1 hour ago, Sukigirl said:

Yes, one of the reasons why I’m so glad skaters like Han and Jason are skating still is that not only do you see beautiful skating skills and mature artistry, but Yuzu’s not the only one of his age group still competing. It can be a lonely feeling knowing that you’re the last of your same age cohort still fighting for glory and I hope he takes comfort from the fact that his contemporaries are still around.

TBH I love the skating 'uncles'. I've always been of the opinion that the longer you do a sport, the more skilled you become, and that an older body isn't necessarily less capable of great things. Take rugby; the best players aren't the young hotshots but the 30-somethings who've had a chance to study the game and pick up guile along with their incredible physical fitness. This idea that big marquee sports like figure skating are only for the teenagers to do never sat well with me; it's like saying that the only thing that matters is to be flexible and cute and that's not true.  And Yuzu is proving this every day he stays in the sport; I personally don't think he's reached the peak of his abilities yet. 

That's partially why I love Zhenya so much; she's heaps better to watch now that's she's got some maturity and I commend her for deciding to buck the Russian trend of young, younger, youngest in women's skating and to try and have a great long career instead. 

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

TBH I love the skating 'uncles'. I've always been of the opinion that the longer you do a sport, the more skilled you become, and that an older body isn't necessarily less capable of great things. Take rugby; the best players aren't the young hotshots but the 30-somethings who've had a chance to study the game and pick up guile along with their incredible physical fitness. This idea that big marquee sports like figure skating are only for the teenagers to do never sat well with me; it's like saying that the only thing that matters is to be flexible and cute and that's not true.  And Yuzu is proving this every day he stays in the sport; I personally don't think he's reached the peak of his abilities yet. 

That's partially why I love Zhenya so much; she's heaps better to watch now that's she's got some maturity and I commend her for deciding to buck the Russian trend of young, younger, youngest in women's skating and to try and have a great long career instead. 

The best proof: How much better is Parisienne Walkways today compared with Sochi?! It was a record breaking program at that time, but Yuzu needed these six years to finetune his skating and performance skills, grow into the program and flirt with the audience as a mature man. He couldn't do this at the age of 19 yet.

It's so crazy to watch 15 year old girls skating to programs like "Perfume" or "Big spender". They don't have the maturity to perform programs like this at all.

59 minutes ago, Henni147 said:

It's so crazy to watch 15 year old girls skating to programs like "Perfume" or "Big spender". They don't have the maturity to perform programs like this at all

So true! on that note, Zhenya was absolutely right to wait on doing Memoirs of A Geisha until now. 

The one I don't like seeing little girls do is anything from the musical "Chicago" - Roxie, All that Jazz, etc. It's a hardened and cynical story and doesn't suit anyone under 18.